News: Seattle Kraken Expansion Draft Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

LickTheEnvelope

Time to Retool... again...
Dec 16, 2008
Vancouver
You complain about the lack of C's available but don't pick any of Gourde, Johansen, Kerfoot (already rumored to be our pick as part of a side-deal with TML), Tierney, Domi. I agree about your statement overall but you are not picking any of the C's in the list I posted to really help the situation out.

I picked McCann over Kerfoot (see #s). Johansen has been horrific and is $8 mil/year. Gourde is okay but not the type to build a line around and nearing 30. Better to go younger, IMO.

Reactions: exporta

abo9

Jun 25, 2017
Sorry but this might be one of the worst teams I've seen so far.

Gourde, McCann,Gaudette and Gambrell down the middle? Oof.

Bowey? As in Madison Bowey? In the starting lineup? Major oof.

I did it real'y quick to be fair and I thought Bowey was better than that. I'm also

what's your lineup? I see you criticized others for putting Johansen in their C depth. I don't know each team's depth players by heart, do you have a better C depth to propose?

abo9

Jun 25, 2017
Seattle is going to have issues with the centers available. Pretty poor group and UFAs aren't much better.

My picks would be:

AnahiemJosh MahuraLD
ArizonaLane PedersonC
BostonConnor CliftonRD
BuffaloCollin MillerRD
CalgaryMark GiordanoLD
CarolinaNino NiederreterRW
ChicagoAdam GaudetteC
ColoradoJoonas DonskoiRW
ColumbusMax DomiLW
DallasBen GleasonLD
DetroitKaden FulcherG
EdmontonTyler BensonLW
FloridaChris DreigerG
LACarl GrundstromRW
MinnesotaCarson SoucyLD
MontrealLukas VejdemoC
NashvilleColton SissonsC
New JerseyNathan BastianRW
NYIJosh BaileyRW
NYRColin BlackwellC
OttawaJosh BrownRD
PhiladelphiaJakub VoracekRW/LW
PittsburghBrandon TanevLW
San JoseDylan GambrellC
St LouisVince DunnLD
TampaCal FooteRD
TorontoJared McCannC
VancouverBrayden HoltbyG
WashingtonAxel Jonsson-FjallbyLW
WinnipegMason AppletonC
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

From Montreal I don't see why Seattle would pick Vejdemo over Cale Fleury? Unless they're throwing the pick intentionally?

Reactions: Holystik

abo9

Jun 25, 2017
Why would you not take Gio, Gourde, Domi, JVR, Duchene, Eberle if you're Seattle? You can be competitive right away.

Vanecek is available, Dreidger is signed. So they have two goalies that won't cost much cap.

Domi I could see not being picked if they don't like his attitude.

The group of guys will have to gel quickly and building a team culture is probably something most of us are missing in our rosters.

i would not be surprised if they take him or not

LokiDog

Get pucks deep. Get pucks to the net. And, uh…
Sep 13, 2018
Dallas
If I’m Seattle I’m drafting young, upside players and taking the obvious picks. Tarasenko, realistically, has much more value than Dunn. There’s some risk inherent but his deal is only 2 years and he can be flipped with retention and someone will absolutely pay a pretty penny for Tarasenko at 4M.

I would absolutely not skip guys like Lauzon, Bean, Bellows, Appleton for guys like Neiderreiter, Bailey/Eberle, Demelo. That would be so foolishly short sighted.

I WOULD definitely throw 8x8.5+ at Landeskog. Only team besides Colorado who can offer 8 years. Great captain/face of the franchise. I’d also go for a guy like Larsson, who played junior hockey in the PNW.

Landeskog - Domi - Tarasenko
Gourde - McCann - Appleton
Johnsson - Gaudette - Gambrell
Tanev - Sissons - Fischer
Giordano - Larsson
Soucy - Gostisbehere
Bean - Miller
Dreidger
Vanacek
Bishop

Namestnikov, Kulak, Fleury

Lauzon, Clague, Bellows, Gauthier, Abramov, Lind

That’s 30, like 18M beneath the cap with Landeskog, Dreidger, Larsson UFA. Say it’s 9, 4, 4.5M. That’s a 30 man roster with some veteran extras, decent prospects and the entire 30 man unit coming in at 80M, when only 23 will count.

Sinistril

Oct 26, 2008
multiple 1st rounds for 4m retention? I mean, it doesnt have to be only picks. Don’t think you got my point of acquiring a price for free instead of a cale fleury is a no brainer because of the value he could fletch at some point.

Price is a negative value contract even with 4 mill retention.

Jetsfan79

Jul 12, 2011
Winnipeg, MB
Obviously we won't know about
any sidedeals and the players involved until Wednesday night. Anyone remember if there was any leaks during days leading into the Vegas draft about not necessarily who got traded but inklings on which teams may have made arrangements with Vegas?

JohnHodgson

May 6, 2009
Assuming no extra trades and signings... just purely drafting given the available players:

Voracek (8.25) - Gourde (5.16) - Tarasenko (7.5)
Drouin (5.5) - Domi (5.3) - Eberle (5.5)
McCann (2.94)-Compher (3.5) - Tanev (3.5)
Ritchie (RFA - 2?) - Tierney (3.5) - Jarnkrok (2)
Comeau (1)

Total F - $55.65

Giordano (6.75) - C. Miller (3.875)
Bean (RFA - 1.5?) - DeMelo (3)
H. Fleury (1.3) - Zadorov (RFA - 2.5?)
Stecher (1.7)

Total D - $20.63

Driedger (2.5)
Vanecek (0.7)
Kahkonen (0.7)

Total G - $3.9M

Total - $80.18M

AHL Players:
Benson, Lind, Merkley, Bunting, Clague, Middleton (Filler from SJ), Raddysh (Filler from NYR)

I wanted to have a good balance of young players with upside, players you can win with now, and attractive assets (expiring deals) that can be pawned off for picks/assets at the deadline. This is a team built to compete now with young players that have untapped upside. There's no players over the age of 31 besides Comeau and Giordano (both deadline bait). The D is a little sus, but the forward depth is extremely deep - you have a respectable top six with room to improve (Drouin, Domi), and your bottom six is extremely deep and filled with good players. You can easily trade a F for a D too in this case.

This team also has amazing long-term cap flexibility (No guys like Duchene, Price, etc.) Only two players have contracts that are 4 years or more (Tanev - 4, Gourde -4). Potentially working with $40M of cap space in the next year (22-23).

Core Players:
Voracek, Eberle, Gourde, Tanev, Domi (if it works out), Drouin (if it works out), Driedger, DeMelo (only D that is signed for long-term)

Young NHL Players with Upside:
Bean, Fleury, Zadorov, McCann, Ritchie, Driedger, Vanecek, Kahkonen

Deadline Bait:
Jarnkrok, Tierney, Domi (if it doesn't work out), Comeau, Giordano, Miller

Damn... everything is set up for Seattle to ice a darn good team from Day 1.

Last edited:
Reactions: PM and Beerfish

lightstorm

Oct 17, 2016
Vegas was good because they target young players, hungry for a chance to prove the whole league wrong and earn their big paychecks. "Established" players like Tatar and Neal didnt really bring all that much.

If Seattle is smart, they'll stay away from old players who already have their fat contracts and are slowly riding out their careers.

Reactions: LokiDog

Blueston

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2016
Houston, TX
Assuming no extra trades and signings... just purely drafting given the available players:

Comeau (1)

Total F - $55.65

Stecher (1.7)

Total D - $20.63

Driedger (2.5)
Vanecek (0.7)
Kahkonen (0.7)

Total G - $3.9M

Total - $80.18M

AHL Players:
Benson, Lind, Merkley, Bunting, Clague, Middleton (Filler from SJ), Raddysh (Filler from NYR)

I wanted to have a good balance of young players with upside, players you can win with now, and attractive assets (expiring deals) that can be pawned off for picks/assets at the deadline. This is a team built to compete now with young players that have untapped upside. There's no players over the age of 31 besides Comeau and Giordano (both deadline bait). The D is a little sus, but the forward depth is extremely deep - you have a respectable top six with room to improve (Drouin, Domi), and your bottom six is extremely deep and filled with good players. You can easily trade a F for a D too in this case.

This team also has amazing long-term cap flexibility (No guys like Duchene, Price, etc.) Only two players have contracts that are 4 years or more (Tanev - 4, Gourde -4). Potentially working with $40M of cap space in the next year (22-23).

Core Players:
Voracek, Eberle, Gourde, Tanev, Domi (if it works out), Drouin (if it works out), Driedger, DeMelo (only D that is signed for long-term)

Deadline Bait:
Dint expect they will take so much $, especially players with term. Francis has been fairly vocal about preserving cap flexibility.

JohnHodgson

May 6, 2009
If I’m Seattle I’m drafting young, upside players and taking the obvious picks. Tarasenko, realistically, has much more value than Dunn. There’s some risk inherent but his deal is only 2 years and he can be flipped with retention and someone will absolutely pay a pretty penny for Tarasenko at 4M.

I would absolutely not skip guys like Lauzon, Bean, Bellows, Appleton for guys like Neiderreiter, Bailey/Eberle, Demelo. That would be so foolishly short sighted.

I WOULD definitely throw 8x8.5+ at Landeskog. Only team besides Colorado who can offer 8 years. Great captain/face of the franchise. I’d also go for a guy like Larsson, who played junior hockey in the PNW.

Landeskog - Domi - Tarasenko
Gourde - McCann - Appleton
Johnsson - Gaudette - Gambrell
Tanev - Sissons - Fischer
Giordano - Larsson
Soucy - Gostisbehere
Bean - Miller
Dreidger
Vanacek
Bishop

Namestnikov, Kulak, Fleury

Lauzon, Clague, Bellows, Gauthier, Abramov, Lind

That’s 30, like 18M beneath the cap with Landeskog, Dreidger, Larsson UFA. Say it’s 9, 4, 4.5M. That’s a 30 man roster with some veteran extras, decent prospects and the entire 30 man unit coming in at 80M, when only 23 will count.

But what's the direction of this team if you are going to repeatedly pass on legitimate players? Why even pick up guys like Tarasenko, Gourde, Giordano, and then sign Landeskog to a massive extension if you aren't trying to compete right away? The best players on this team would be around 30, meaning they have 3-4 more good years to give. You have to compete now if you are selecting those players.

Otherwise, why not go with guys like Dunn, or Kylington instead if you want the young upside picks? The team that you compiled is not a legitimate contender and IMO would be at the bottom of the standings. The direction and your philosophy don't really align at this point

JohnHodgson

May 6, 2009
Dint expect they will take so much $, especially players with term. Francis has been fairly vocal about preserving cap flexibility.

Potentially $40M in cap space in 22-23 with that team. There's also a ton of tradeable assets on there.

JohnHodgson

May 6, 2009
I did it real'y quick to be fair and I thought Bowey was better than that. I'm also

what's your lineup? I see you criticized others for putting Johansen in their C depth. I don't know each team's depth players by heart, do you have a better C depth to propose?

Neither McCann or Gaudette have proven to be able to play center effectively at the NHL level... trust me, I'm a Canucks fan.

You can look at my post, but I have Gourde, Domi, Tierney and Compher down the middle - Tierney and Compher have proven to be effective bottom six centers and Domi scored 72 points last time he played center... well worth the risk as he's a UFA in 22-23 if it doesn't work out.

Reactions: HockeyWooot

LokiDog

Sep 13, 2018
Dallas
But what's the direction of this team if you are going to repeatedly pass on legitimate players? Why even pick up guys like Tarasenko, Gourde, Giordano, and then sign Landeskog to a massive extension if you aren't trying to compete right away? The best players on this team would be around 30, meaning they have 3-4 more good years to give. You have to compete now if you are selecting those players.

Otherwise, why not go with guys like Dunn, or Kylington instead if you want the young upside picks? The team that you compiled is not a legitimate contender and IMO would be at the bottom of the standings. The direction and your philosophy don't really align at this point

… that team is already good, likely a playoff team in their division. I completely disagree with you. You think they’d be better off taking Eberle, Neiderreiter and Demelo over Bellows, Bean and Appleton, or otherwise taking Dunn over Tarasenko and Kylington over Giordano. Dunn is getting WAY over valued here. Tarasenko with 25-50% retention is undoubtedly more valuable than Dunn in real life. Giordano as a rental is worth 5x more than Kylington will likely ever be worth. If Tarasenko doesn’t seem worth extending, you can flip him but you can also keep him. Giordano you can flip to a contender at the TDL if you’re not in a playoff spot, but since I believe that IS a playoff team, could also keep if you wanted. Otherwise the team is young, with upside, with some good prospects, with a guy like Beniers added with the #2, with the ability to trade from strength (like Bean, Gourde, Bellows, 1st is a grade A package that makes you competitive for many players).

Draft guys like Lauzon, Bean, Clague, Bellows, Appleton, Gauthier, Abramov, Vanacek, Gaudette, Fischer who are all young and on the cusp of being impact/contributing players. Add that to Dreidger, Soucy, Gourde, McCann, Sissons, Tanev, Miller, Domi who are mid grade (for their roles) and not old/still pretty young. Then add quality vets like Tarasenko and Giordano and sign Landeskog and Larsson. Avoid all of the older guys with term and big money. Giordano had 1 year. Tarasenko has 2. Gourde isn’t old. You’re choosing Landeskog and Larsson as specifically worth signing; everyone else is relatively young with upside or doesn’t have a lengthy, large contract. It’s flexible, young, has upside and will be good out of the gate.

That’s a playoff team off the bat with room to make a trade or two to be more competitive. 2-4 years is definitely time for guys like Bean, Lauzon, Bellows, Appleton and Beniers to be players while the core guys like Tarasenko and Landeskog are still good. You’re not passing on “legitimate” players by not blowing your salary cap on Eberle, Johansen and Neiderreiter over guys like Bellows and Bean. That team is decent center away from being real solid. Shit, go after Eichel or draft Beniers and try to sign Danault. If you don’t realize that’s a good team, you’re undervaluing a lot of the guys on it.

Last edited:
Reactions: lightstorm

featherhawk

Dec 13, 2006

Comeau (1)

Total F - $55.65

Stecher (1.7)

Total D - $20.63

Driedger (2.5)
Vanecek (0.7)
Kahkonen (0.7)

Total G - $3.9M

Total - $80.18M

AHL Players:

Core Players:

Deadline Bait:

Damn... everything is set up for Seattle to ice a darn good team from Day 1.

Zadorov was looking for 4M+ and term...no way 2.5 will cut it to sign him. I think 3.0-3,5 may do the trick, if not its arbitration

JohnHodgson

May 6, 2009
Zadorov was looking for 4M+ and term...no way 2.5 will cut it to sign him. I think 3.0-3,5 may do the trick, if not its arbitration

Can just trade him if he's asking for a ridiculous amount. $4M for a bottom pairing dman is a little steep.

JohnHodgson

May 6, 2009
… that team is already good, likely a playoff team in their division. If Tarasenko doesn’t seem worth extending, you can flip him but you can also keep him. Giordano you can clip to a contender at the TDL if you’re not in a playoff spot. I’m otherewise the team is young, with upside, with some good prospects, with a guy like Beniers added with the #2, with the ability to trade from strength (like Bean, Gourde, Bellows, 1st is a grade A package that makes you competitive for many players).

That’s a playoff team off the bat with room to make a trade or two to be more competitive. 2-4 years is definitely time for guys like Bean, Lauzon, Bellows, Appleton and Beniers to be players while the core guys like Tarasenko and Landeskog are still good. You’re not passing on “legitimate” players by not blowing your salary cap on Eberle, Johansen and Neiderreiter over guys like Bellows and Bean. That team is decent center away from being real solid. Shit, go after Eichel or draft Beniers and try to sign Danault. If you don’t realize that’s a good team, you’re undervaluing a lot of the guys on it.

That's a good team as in, that's a good team for an expansion draft.

That's not a good team, as in a good team that can be a legitimate contender. Yes, this team is a first line center away from being real solid, like many other teams.

You have 4 legitimate top six forwards in your lineup and this is with massive question marks in Tarasenko and Domi. Out of all the expansion drafts I've seen so far, your offense is by far the worst and is closer to being a bottom tier in the NHL. McCann and Appleton should not be in the top six on a "good team". If your third line consists of Andreas Johnsson, Adam Gaudette, and Dylan Gambrell, your team is NOT a good team. Adam Gaudette is not an NHL level center, let alone third line C. Gambrell's a dime-a-dozen bottom tier forward with limited offensive upside. Johnsson just came off a terrible year where he was invisible for the Devils. Your botttom six has NO offensive upside... you can't win anything with a one line team.

Your defense is subpar and goaltending is likely average or slightly above average.

How is this team a good team and ready to compete? If you're being honest with yourself, this is not a playoff team, given what we know now.

LokiDog

Sep 13, 2018
Dallas
That's a good team as in, that's a good team for an expansion draft.

That's not a good team, as in a good team that can be a legitimate contender. Yes, this team is a first line center away from being real solid, like many other teams.

You have 4 legitimate top six forwards in your lineup and this is with massive question marks in Tarasenko and Domi. Out of all the expansion drafts I've seen so far, your offense is by far the worst and is closer to being a bottom tier in the NHL. McCann and Appleton should not be in the top six on a "good team". If your third line consists of Andreas Johnsson, Adam Gaudette, and Dylan Gambrell, your team is NOT a good team. Adam Gaudette is not an NHL level center, let alone third line C. Gambrell's a dime-a-dozen bottom tier forward with limited offensive upside. Johnsson just came off a terrible year where he was invisible for the Devils. Your botttom six has NO offensive upside... you can't win anything with a one line team.

Your defense is subpar and goaltending is likely average or slightly above average.

How is this team a good team and ready to compete? If you're being honest with yourself, this is not a playoff team, given what we know now.

That’s just, like, your opinion man. I think you’re under rating what Appleton could do with a larger role. William Karlsson, anyone? McCann paced for 61 points last year. He can hold down 2C or 2LW (switched with Gourde) for a season or so. Gaudette or Gambrell is your issue? Take Donato or True. Or better yet, make a trade with your 10 extras plus picks. Sign Armia or someone even better. You can fix something like 3LW but pretty easily.

The D…
Giordano, Soucy, Bean, Lauzon, Fleury, Larsson, Gostisbehere, Miller, Clague. It’s not that subpar and has enough extras (along with extra F) to make an upgrade if needed. The goalies are basically inevitable. Seattle has practically announced Dreidger and Vanacek is a given with what Washington is exposing. Bishop is a good insurance plan - good if healthy, LTIR if not healthy, cheap and easily movable if healthy but unnecessary, especially with some retention.

I 100% think that’s a playoff team in the pacific division. I also don’t think it’s half as directionless as you think. Who says it needs to be a full on contender day 1? This is just the draft. There will be trades post ED with the excess players selected, and there is UFA. This roster has the most value, pound for pound. Kylington is worth about a 5th. Giordano at 50% at the TDL is worth a 1st, maybe more. Tarasenko vs Dunn, next year with 1 year left and retention? It’s no comparison. The team will be 3rd or 4th in the Pacific, young and on the upswing with the ability to add strong picks or nearly ready prospects.

Just for example, Karlsson was 24 with a career high of 25 in 81. The next year he has 78 in 82. Appleton is 25, just had 25 in 56, is physical, is fast. This is the kind of player you draft. Not Demelo who is already all he will ever be and nothing special.

Last edited:

abo9

Jun 25, 2017
Neither McCann or Gaudette have proven to be able to play center effectively at the NHL level... trust me, I'm a Canucks fan.

You can look at my post, but I have Gourde, Domi, Tierney and Compher down the middle - Tierney and Compher have proven to be effective bottom six centers and Domi scored 72 points last time he played center... well worth the risk as he's a UFA in 22-23 if it doesn't work out.

Good point for Domi. I was actially reconsidering because I felt like Harrington was just a waste of a pick. And yeah even if he does only 40-50 pts, that could be enough to be worth the risk (je costs nothing after all). Only issue could be his intangibles as he seems to have difficulty staying in one place.

Edit: also a bunch of question marks. I put Price since I'd lvoe for Seattle to build something around him but they seem to think Driedger is their guy. So obviously that frees up tons of cap space for a C at UFA or some D

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Wagers: 6
    Staked: $6,201.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino