News: Seattle Kraken Expansion Draft Thread [Part II]

Status
Not open for further replies.

CupInSIX

My cap runneth over
Jul 1, 2012
Alphaville
this is what I’ve been saying. It makes zero sense.

I can understand not picking Taresenko to trade him because Dunn has some legit upside.

but some of the other picks wtf. If you want to build through the draft how many playoff teams would kill for JVR or Jake at 50% retained?
Maybe his hands are tied & ownership wouldn't let him spend like that.

'you want me to pay 50% of a player's salary that you're trading??'

Reactions: generalshepherd141

TheReelChuckFletcher

Former TheRillestPaulFenton; Harverd Alum
Jun 30, 2011
Raleigh and Chapel Hill, NC
It’s a business at the end of the day but it would be incredibly odd to have guys fly in for the Ceremony only to trade them the next day.

To me, the trades will likely center around the Soucy/Lauzon/Dunn trio. If you have Giordano/Oleksiak/Haydn Fleury as your official left handers and Larsson/Cale Fleury/Borgen as your right handers, you need to deal at least two of the Soucy/Lauzon/Dunn group. Soucy can play his off-hand well, so I'd keep him, but I think the other two will be valuable in trades.

SI90

Jul 25, 2011
StrongIsland
Maybe his hands are tied & ownership wouldn't let him spend like that.

'you want me to pay 50% of a player's salary that you're trading??'

Yes, to accumulate assets that will help us compete in the future. Being an expansion team with these rules you have a unique opportunity to set your team up. Vegas and McPhee did a masterful job. Even if teams refuse to give up the assets and pieces they did in the Vegas draft you can still pick better players.

SI90

Jul 25, 2011
StrongIsland
To me, the trades will likely center around the Soucy/Lauzon/Dunn trio. If you have Giordano/Oleksiak/Fleury as your official left side, you need to deal at least two of the Soucy/Lauzon/Dunn group. Soucy can play his off-hand well, so I'd keep him, but I think the other two will be valuable in trades.

if they do plan to trade Dunn I pray my isles are in on him.

Canada4Gold

Dec 22, 2010
I don't even get the "they were asking for too much and teams learned from their Vegas mistakes" angle.

There are a pretty clear handful of picks that are nowhere near the best possible pick. If you can't blackmail anyone to not take a guy or get them to pay you to take money off their hands for a decent player then you take the best guys. But you end with with a bunch of inferior picks and 3 worthless UFAs. You could end up there if you hardballed the other GM and it worked, but when he says no thanks, we're not paying you extra, take who you want, how do you end up at the lesser player anyway? It's like he was hardballing teams to pay them to take cap in guys like Tarasenko, Domi, Voracek, Dadonov/Tierney, the teams declined so rather than caving and admitting he wasn't going to get the Flyers to pay him extra to take Voracek he takes some random AHL UFA instead like that'll stick it to the Flyers for turning him down. Same thing with Columbus. Or take Carolina with Nino and the same thing. Or Jake Bean. You couldn't get the Hurricanes to pay you to take Nino, or not take Jake Bean so somehow you end up with Geekie? He's far from the worse player they got but I don't see how that's a better selection than Bean. Chicago didn't have all that much available either but I don't see how taking a UFA and not signing them helps. There were guys there with minor pieces of value like a Zadarov or Gaudette.

They picked 7 guys I picked and I can see reason in about 20-24 of their picks so I won't claim it's a total disaster. Some of them are just baffling however, they end up with clearly worse players or completely useless UFAs

Jersey Fan 12

Positive Vibes
Nov 20, 2006
Name me one player that Seattle picked that YOU would want to get from Seattle and give them something better in return.

Just one. But let’s be honest the said trade must favor Seattle ever so slightly.

Hard to imagine that this is the final Seattle roster.

With teams still in cap turmoil it seems like there is still room to add - whether through trade or more likely free agency.

Can't help thinking there is still a veteran goalie to be signed for instance and the same applies to the high ticket guys who may be signed at a portion of what they made in past seasons.

McPhee used Karlsson as an example in an interview earlier tonight (and for many of the guys selected tonight these are the kinds of projections the Kraken staff made).

There is a lot that will go on between now and training camp.

Reactions: derriko

deaderhead28

Jul 3, 2010
D
#4 Kurtis MacDermid
Kraken younger, better version of Deryk Engelland, fan favorite from the get go
- been following Kurtis since his OHL days, he will surprise many, as in how good he is!

200w-3.gif

Lolonegoal

Jan 25, 2012
I know you dont to pick guys like Duchene, Voracek, Johansen and Skinner but I would have taken Niederreiter (even Domi) and flip him at the deadline for a 1st or 2nd + . (Upcoming UFA)

He'd play on the 1st line and 1st pp.
I would of taken those guys and a few of the others bad 1 year deals, just for the chance to potentially negotiate a cheaper contract for the following year.

TheReelChuckFletcher

Former TheRillestPaulFenton; Harverd Alum
Jun 30, 2011
Raleigh and Chapel Hill, NC
Honestly, I can't get over the Quenneville pick. It makes just absolutely no sense whatsoever.

Here's my thought process: Seattle thought that they could bully Chicago into getting a sweetener for Zadorov or De Haan and Chicago laughed in their faces, knowing that they already traded their cap problem in Keith. Hence Seattle took a nobody Group VI UFA when they no longer had any leverage.

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN
Hard to imagine that this is the final Seattle roster.

With teams still in cap turmoil it seems like there is still room to add - whether through trade or more likely free agency.

Can't help thinking there is still a veteran goalie to be signed for instance and the same applies to the high ticket guys who may be signed at a portion of what they made in past seasons.

McPhee used Karlsson as an example in an interview earlier tonight (and for many of the guys selected tonight these are the kinds of projections the Kraken staff made).

There is a lot that will go on between now and training camp.
They had a unique opportunity to create assets off of nothing but a threat. Ie a chance no other team in the league had... create assets from nothing more than an idea. They took that opportunity and treated it like a gun to teams heads by asking astronomical prices to point that gun away.

Teams did not flinch, called their bluff. Made no deals.

How did Seattle respond? By doing teams a favor by leaving those extra valuable players alone anyway, and creating a rather mediocre roster, generating zero extra assets in the process.

Now? They're just like any other team in the league. Can make moves to move their mediocre players, or deals to absorb bad contracts and selling off their cap space.

HUGE opportunity lost, and they are worse off for it.

theimmortal1

Sep 26, 2020
They can still get some high priced vets cheap to retain and flip. At least they have to assume so. I mean teams like STL will basically give them Tank for free. Or Philly with their expensive guy. Then they can retain and flip.

Worst case they blow cap on UFA like Landy. If they spend $9m on him then gg Kraken.

But this is a classic tweener team. Not good enough to compete at all. Not bad enough to get a top pick. If you don’t go for it then you need to start stockpiling assets.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad