Seattle IV: The Money Will Roll Right In

Status
Not open for further replies.

kdb209

Jan 26, 2005
If a new Seattle team was announced for a 2015 start I wonder if it would be helpful to give them an opportunity to participate in the 2014 entry draft.

Very unlikely, and probably illegal under the CBA and NHL Constitution/By-Laws.

Only Member Clubs are permitted to take part in the draft and Member Clubs are required to play the regular season schedule. There are no provisions for an inactive team.

In the last expansion all four teams were announced/awarded in June 1997, but the teams did not participate in the Entry Draft until immediately prior to their inaugural seasons (Nashville 1998, Atlanta 1999, and Minnesota/Columbus 2000).

I don't see the NHLPA ever approving of a player being drafted into limbo - unable to play immediately in the NHL.

gstommylee

Jan 31, 2012
Very unlikely, and probably illegal under the CBA and NHL Constitution/By-Laws.

Only Member Clubs are permitted to take part in the draft and Member Clubs are required to play the regular season schedule. There are no provisions for an inactive team.

In the last expansion all four teams were announced/awarded in June 1997, but the teams did not participate in the Entry Draft until immediately prior to their inaugural seasons (Nashville 1998, Atlanta 1999, and Minnesota/Columbus 2000).

I don't see the NHLPA ever approving of a player being drafted into limbo - unable to play immediately in the NHL.

I don't see why there would be both a re-entry draft and expansion draft for an expansion team the same year.

kdb209

Jan 26, 2005
I don't see why there would be both a re-entry draft and expansion draft for an expansion team the same year.

Why wouldn't an expansion team take part in the Entry Draft???

The only questions is which picks they are awarded in the First and subsequent rounds - do they pick #1 overall or are they placed after some number of lottery teams.

Stanley Cup

Bettman's ice bucket
Jul 15, 2010
Québec

The only questions is which picks they are awarded in the First and subsequent rounds - do they pick #1 overall or are they placed after some number of lottery teams.

I don't see why they wouldn't get the #1 overall pick. The main goal in this draft lottery system is to create parity, help the teams in bad shape. I don't think you'll find in the NHL a team nearly as bad as an expansion club. [Insert Buffalo/Edmonton jokes here]

Mike Jones

Apr 12, 2007
Calgary

The head of the NHLPA (If it's still Donald Fehr) worked for Major League Baseball Players Association and was probably involved in the Tampa Bay expansion where the new team did just that. So depending on the plan I couldn't see why Fehr wouldn't sign off on a team getting started a year or two prior to playing their first game.

Last edited:

Mike Jones

Apr 12, 2007
Calgary

They normally do participate in the entry draft immediately prior to their first regular season. But if the new team is approved by the board of governors and they pay their expansion fee I can't see why they couldn't participate in an entry draft over one year prior (IE: 2014 draft when they don't start until 2015) to their first game. I also can't see why they wouldn't be allowed to set up an ECHL or AHL affiliate over a year prior.

As far as assigning a draft position goes I can't see why they couldn't enter the draft lottery from the 15th position (after the 14 nonplayoff teams get their shot).

kdb209

Jan 26, 2005
I don't see why they wouldn't get the #1 overall pick. The main goal in this draft lottery system is to create parity, help the teams in bad shape. I don't think you'll find in the NHL a team nearly as bad as an expansion club. [Insert Buffalo/Edmonton jokes here]

IIRC, of the '90s expansions, only once (1992) were the expansion teams awarded the #1 pick.

In 1991, San Jose was awarded the #2 pick
In 1992, Tampa and Ottawa # 1 & #2
In 1993, Anaheim and Florida #4 & #5

In 1998, Nashville #2 - after lottery winner (San Jose/Tampa)
In 1999, Atlanta #2 - after worst team (Tampa) , traded up for #1
In 2000, Minnesota & Columbus #2 & #3 after worst team (Atlanta) and then bumped to #3 & #4 after the Isles won the lottery

Mike Jones

Apr 12, 2007
Calgary
IIRC, of the '90s expansions, only once (1992) were the expansion teams awarded the #1 pick.

In 1991, San Jose was awarded the #2 pick
In 1992, Tampa and Ottawa # 1 & #2
In 1993, Anaheim and Florida #4 & #5

In 1998, Nashville #2 - after lottery winner (San Jose/Tampa)
In 1999, Atlanta #2 - after worst team (Tampa) , traded up for #1
In 2000, Minnesota & Columbus #2 & #3 after worst team (Atlanta) and then bumped to #3 & #4 after the Isles won the lottery

The 1979 expansion had the teams picking in the bottom four positions (18-21). I don't think there were any expansions between '79 and '89.

But then the '67, '70, '72 and '74 expansion teams chose from the 1st and 2nd positions. Or in the case of '67 the top six positions.

I don't know - I still like the idea of giving the new team the 15 spot in the lottery and letting fate take its course.

No Fun Shogun

34-38-61-10-13-15
May 1, 2011
Illinois
Plus, even if they want that fast of a timetable, there's zero chance that the current owners give a newcomer team first crack at an apparent generational talent like McDavid.

gstommylee

Jan 31, 2012
Plus, even if they want that fast of a timetable, there's zero chance that the current owners give a newcomer team first crack at an apparent generational talent like McDavid.

Which draft would McDavid enter? upcoming or the year or 2 later?

Brodie

HACK THE BONE! HACK THE BONE!
Mar 19, 2009
Chicago
We also can't be sure if this is just Seattle coming into the league. If it's a two team expansion, neither would get the first pick just out of concern for fairness. And I can only see a one team expansion happening if the it's staggered like the 1997-2000 expansions were and team 2 were joining in 2016.

Frankenrogers

Jan 3, 2013
Hamilton
I remember when Lindros was coming in the NHL said that they wanted an established team to have him so the expansion team didn't get the number one pick.

cutchemist42

Apr 7, 2011
Winnipeg

Being too harsh on an expansion team's draft picks though is what helped lead to the Grizzlies and Raptors being abysmal for a long time. One team moved while the other might have close if a company like MLSE didn't come around.

Mike Jones

Apr 12, 2007
Calgary
We also can't be sure if this is just Seattle coming into the league. If it's a two team expansion, neither would get the first pick just out of concern for fairness. And I can only see a one team expansion happening if the it's staggered like the 1997-2000 expansions were and team 2 were joining in 2016.

Mind you, handing the top two picks to expansion teams would help deal with people's concerns about existing teams intentionally "tanking" to reach bottom and get those picks.

Acesolid

The Illusive Bettman
Sep 21, 2010
Québec

Why not? Especially if they ignore logic and go to a non-hockey market like Las Vegas, if they wont let the expansion teams get first round picks, they wont get any good for at least a decade!

That's the insane decision the NBA made when they prevented Vancouver and Toronto from getting a top five pick in their first season, or the top pick for the 3 seasons after that. And it's the reason Basketball is so low profile in Canada. The decision killed the Grizzlies, and almost also destroyed the Raptors.

Restricting an expansion team from drafting high is a surefire way of making sure it never becomes sucessfull, and to kill the market for your sport in a City.

jcme262

Jun 3, 2011
Tacoma, WA
Living here my whole life Seattle can be a fickle town. I think if you bring in an AHL team early to play in the Key while waiting for the NHL team to start you might lose some interest when the NHL team comes. I think what would be best would be to bring in the NHL first even if it means waiting a couple of years so people are seeing the best players.

Now I could see putting the AHL team in Portland (unless they are also in the expansion/relocation plans)

absolutely agree!

No Fun Shogun

34-38-61-10-13-15
May 1, 2011
Illinois
Why not? Especially if they ignore logic and go to a non-hockey market like Las Vegas, if they wont let the expansion teams get first round picks, they wont get any good for at least a decade!

I said that they wouldn't get a crack at McDavid, not that they wouldn't get a first round pick. He's the consensus #1 pick in 2015, barring someone else rising out of nowhere or him falling to earth considerably. Maybe in a run of the mill year with no standout apparent superstar, they let them pick first overall. 2nd overall at best with McDavid on the table, though.

UtherGardener

Jan 10, 2014
Mystic Mountain Or.
Neither Seattle nor Portland are Vancouver. Besides, the old New Westminster Bruins couldn't survive the market, so it was another 15-20 years before WHL re-entered. Maybe, over time, popularity will be enough where major Junior might re-emerge in Seattle and Portland. OTOH, there are concerns about the long-term viability of the Giants.

Most of all, you missed my two main points.

The CHL is already starting to deny foreign goalies; they're retrenching (unfortunately), and the momentum points toward a Canada First policy. This eventually means limiting Americans on rosters, and then getting franchises out of the US. It doesn't help that Chilliwack has an expanded building, Langley Events Centre is way too nice and somewhat too big for BCHL, Nanaimo is actively working on an arena, and there's whispers about Surrey.

Also, Bill Gallacher held back money for Coliseum renovations in Portland. There's not enough midweek draw to justify 36 games in Moda Center. Behavior points to a change coming.

There is no chance that a sea linked AHL team would be supported here in Portland, specially when it would be viewed as kicking out the Winterhawks. Portland keeps the WHL or gets an NHL.

So Pounder why would any want to renew that bucket in a glass box? there is no point the memorial is lame iirc its an ashtray that only honors vets up till korea. NHL = Rose Garden only.

gstommylee

Jan 31, 2012
There is one thing i am curious about with the latest nhl seattle rumor about Seattle possibility being announced as team #31 after the Olympics.

Why hasn't the NHL come out and deny it?

The league has come out and denied rumors about NHL to Seattle before example being that there was a secret handshake between NHL and Seattle's group during the coyotes situation last summer which daly came out and denied there being one.

Last edited:

Big McLargehuge

Fragile Traveler
May 9, 2002
S. Pasadena, CA

Exactly. I can see an expansion team given a #1 in the future, but it won't be in a draft with a potential 'generational' player in it.

I don't think it's a coincidence that the one expansion team since the 70s to get a #1 pick came in a draft where Roman Hamrlik was the 1st pick. No disrespect to Hamrlik (or Yashin, for that matter).

Honestly I think expansion teams should at least be in the draft lottery to get the #1 pick, but I'd still prefer the team finishing dead last in the prior season to have the best chance at the pick. Either way, Seattle won't get a team in time for the McDavid draft. 2016 at the earliest.

gstommylee

Jan 31, 2012
Exactly. I can see an expansion team given a #1 in the future, but it won't be in a draft with a potential 'generational' player in it.

I don't think it's a coincidence that the one expansion team since the 70s to get a #1 pick came in a draft where Roman Hamrlik was the 1st pick. No disrespect to Hamrlik (or Yashin, for that matter).

But for a market like seattle that is untapped and currently unknown wouldn't giving them top pick in the draft make sense to getting the fan base going?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad