Seattle IV: The Money Will Roll Right In

Status
Not open for further replies.

gstommylee

Jan 31, 2012
http://seattletimes.com/html/hockey/2022905302_nhlseattle14xml.html

Seattle times has a article that talks about seattle's chances of an NHL team and gives somewhat of an update on where things are at.

"Sources say there have been negotiations between the league and potential ownership groups in Seattle about the cost of expansion fees. To the point where the NHL and local officials could be prepared to make some type of announcement shortly after the Olympic Games in Sochi conclude — at a time the NHL hopes nationwide interest in its sport will be at a high point. "

Mods: if this text from the article is too much please edit it as i am not sure off hand what is consider acceptable and not.

Feb 7, 2012
Seattle
2 points

1. For Geoff baker to write this must mean there is something to this. This guy hates to think that seattle could get nhl before QBC. Check out his previous articles.

2. Possible announcement from local officials and NHL as soon as after sochi Olympics, shows that discussions are even further along than we could have thought (I thought June was aggressive)

gstommylee

Jan 31, 2012
2 points

1. For Geoff baker to write this must mean there is something to this. This guy hates to think that seattle could get nhl before QBC. Check out his previous articles.

2. Possible announcement from local officials and NHL as soon as after sochi Olympics, shows that discussions are even further along than we could have thought (I thought June was aggressive)

Or perhaps NHL knows that the arena will (guaranteed behind closed) get built for the NHL

Killion

Feb 19, 2010
The whole issue of realignment is moot guys. Meaningless. The NHL will simply balance conferences with a view to "further alignment & expansion".... Meaning?... Portland.... Rose Garden.

Fugu

RIP Barb
Nov 26, 2004
϶(°o°)ϵ
So when would a new expansion franchise get it's own forum? When there is an agreement to expand to certain city..or?

When the NHL makes it official, and when the cap and schedule come out, the new teams would get their own forum-- either renaming a relocated team's forum, or an addition for expansion teams.

Feb 7, 2012
Seattle
When the NHL makes it official, and when the cap and schedule come out, the new teams would get their own forum-- either renaming a relocated team's forum, or an addition for expansion teams.

So if there is an official announcement but team not scheduled to play for 16 months, we would talk in the general nhl forums?

No Fun Shogun

34-38-61-10-13-15
May 1, 2011
Illinois
Certainly quicker of a time table for them to announce a potential expansion than I was expecting for them if sometime after Sochi's honestly expected.

Brodie

HACK THE BONE! HACK THE BONE!
Mar 19, 2009
Chicago
I think Seattle is such a no brainer that they need to strike ASAP. This is their best chance to get the MOU changed, too... Silver is pouring cold water on the NBA coming to town, the NHL gets to step in and play white knight.

gstommylee

Jan 31, 2012
I think Seattle is such a no brainer that they need to strike ASAP. This is their best chance to get the MOU changed, too... Silver is pouring cold water on the NBA coming to town, the NHL gets to step in and play white knight.

I think the MOU change has already agreed to. Hence the rumor of a possible announcement could happen after the winter games.

Mightygoose

Nov 5, 2012
Ajax, ON
An announcement shortly after Sochi does seem early.

I guess if the NHL and the owner(s) are confident the EIS will be done without a hitch and MOU change is done in principle then assuming they start in the fall of 2015 that will be more than enough time to set up shop/expansion draft etc...

mesamonster

Oct 13, 2011
Scottsdale, AZ.
So the stars are beginning to align in favor of a team in Seattle! The perfect fit would be to relocate the Arizona Coyotes to Seattle. The economic fortunes of the Coyotes appears imperiled, as the playoffs look suspect and the early returns for both the new ownership group and the city of Glendale are reeling in red ink! The abysmal attendance has to be disappointing, as this new group thought they could turn this around! Missing the playoffs will have an adverse impact on the second half attendance. Seattle may i present to you your new team the Arizona Coyotes!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad