Status
Not open for further replies.

Brodie

HACK THE BONE! HACK THE BONE!
Mar 19, 2009
Chicago
Continued from III: http://hfboards.mandatory.com/showthread.php?t=1451197

Last three posts:

And if you think that is comparable to being "like Buffalo so close to Canada" then you need to get out of your spaceship where you're viewing the world. In 2.5 hours by car I could be almost to Pittsburgh.

Ya its no short hike from Vancouver-Seattle, traffics heavy, Border line-up's....

Seattle's metro area stretches into Skagit County, the northern parts of which are about half an hours drive to the border.

and, on to the next thread

I'd also note that out west, where the geographic spread is much larger but the population density is much lower, closeness is a relative concept.

Holden Caulfield

Eternal Skeptic
Feb 15, 2006
Winnipeg
Seattle is a prime market. I REALLY REALLY hope that this expansion happens. Seattle deserves a major league winter sport and the NBA is completely ****ing the Seattle market. Really hope that NHL beats NBA to the market, it will be a huge success no doubt. The financials, rink, owners are there. It is the prime spot to expand to. Can't wait. I wish Seattle and Winnipeg could have expanded together with an Atlanta team intact.

brewski420

Sep 29, 2009
Ohio
For those saying Pittsburgh attendance would go back to 10k without Crosby the last time the annual avg was that low was 84-85. The next lowest since then was around 12k in 03-04. Every other year was higher closer to or above 15k. Just FYI.

Hansen

tyler motte simp
Oct 12, 2011
Nanaimo, B.C.
I go to Seattle all the time and I live on Vancouver Island. My family loves the trip down, we stop at Tulelip and do some cheap shopping then head to Seattle and either catch a Mariners game or walk around the city.

If Seattle got a hockey team that would only be more of an incentive to make those trips more often.

DyerMaker66*

If I gave you some roses would you show me your Tulelip?

Ugmo

Oct 24, 2011
Talk about an understatement. 2 hours gets me to a town of 300 ppl. It's 9-10 hours to the closest town that's over 3000 ppl.

Woah, and I thought I grew up in the middle of nowhere (northern Maine).

tony d

Jun 23, 2007
Behind A Tree
Looks like it's inevitable that Seattle will get an expansion team relatively soon. Can't see them sticking with 31 teams, wonder who the 32nd will be. (I'm hoping Quebec City or Houston but seems like Portland and Kansas City have the better chance)

MNNumbers

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 17, 2011
Looks like it's inevitable that Seattle will get an expansion team relatively soon. Can't see them sticking with 31 teams, wonder who the 32nd will be. (I'm hoping Quebec City or Houston but seems like Portland and Kansas City have the better chance)

Tony D,

Why do you say KC, when the mayor is on record that they don't want a team unless it just pays rent to use Sprint Center? KC as a city is not going to give the sweetheart deal that NHL hockey would need to have to be there, right? Do you know something we don't?

And, why would you say Houston when Les Alexander, who controls the arena there, hasn't looked interested in NHL Hockey before? Again, do you know something we don't?

I agree on Portland (only because they said they were interested in buying Coyotes) and QC (obviously interested, too), though.

YMCMBYOLO

WEDABEST
Mar 30, 2009
http://seattletimes.com/html/hockey/2021513953_seattlenhl01xml.html

A week after saying the Pacific Northwest would receive “serious consideration” for a NHL expansion team, deputy commissioner Bill Daly pumped the brakes on a rumor about a team playing in Seattle next year.

“There’s never been a plan to expand to 32 teams,” he told ESPN.com Wednesday morning. “Whether we talked conceptually at some point if things are going well whether we could expand to 32, I’m sure we suggested we could.

“But we certainly never reached the point where that was appropriate.”

Nick1219

Mar 15, 2012
If you think people wont come down from BC... Tune into the Blue Jays/Mariners game next Monday.

GordonGraham

Sep 12, 2009
They are coming down cause its the jays just like they will come down when its the canucks, leafs , habs.

DowntownBooster

Jun 21, 2011
Winnipeg

Let's go with Seattle and Houston. Seattle would be a new market and Houston deserves a shot since they were one year shy of getting the opportunity to join the NHL when the merger with the WHA took place. Both markets would be a great addition to the NHL.

No Fun Shogun

34-38-61-10-13-15
May 1, 2011
Illinois
Let's go with Seattle and Houston. Seattle would be a new market and Houston deserves a shot since they were one year shy of getting the opportunity to join the NHL when the merger with the WHA took place. Both markets would be a great addition to the NHL.

Houston will only happen for the forseeable future if Les Alexander's involved, due to his hold of the Toyota Center, and he's lost several hundred million dollars since the recession.

He's rich, but he's not super, duper, "Imma buy a franchise for the heck of it" rich anymore.

Unfortunately, Houston is not anywhere close to being an expansion candidate.

If the NHL expands by two in the U.S., it'll be to Seattle and Portland.... maybe Kansas City if someone emerges from the aether to suddenly want a team there.

sandysan

Dec 7, 2011
Houston will only happen for the forseeable future if Les Alexander's involved, due to his hold of the Toyota Center, and he's lost several hundred million dollars since the recession.

He's rich, but he's not super, duper, "Imma buy a franchise for the heck of it" rich anymore.

If the NHL expands by two in the U.S., it'll be to Seattle and Portland.... maybe Kansas City if someone emerges from the aether to suddenly want a team there.

I heard the tooth fairy and santa claus are trying to work out a deal with mayor James.

I dont see the sprint center hosting any hockey anytime soon, they are doing "okay" without an anchor tennant. but who knows, the NHL might try to grow another market from scratch because it has worked so well in the past.

DowntownBooster

Jun 21, 2011
Winnipeg

The ecomony in the U.S. is showing signs of improving again and I'm sure things will turn around for Les Alexander as well. Hopefully his interest in owning a team is still there as it would be great to see Houston in the NHL.

DowntownBooster

Jun 21, 2011
Winnipeg
I dont see the sprint center hosting any hockey anytime soon, they are doing "okay" without an anchor tennant. but who knows, the NHL might try to grow another market from scratch because it has worked so well in the past.

There are several markets that have done well - San Jose, Anaheim, Dallas and Nashville to name a few. If the NHL wants to continue growing the game in the U.S. they just might consider some markets that currently do not have teams --- Seattle, Portland, Houston and Kansas City.

No Fun Shogun

34-38-61-10-13-15
May 1, 2011
Illinois
I heard the tooth fairy and santa claus are trying to work out a deal with mayor James.

Which is why I put KC as a long shot. Current arena owners/operators don't want a team and the municipality has been dismissive of the idea for the most part. It would take someone coming out of the blue that we've never heard of for them to leapfrog Seattle, Portland, and Quebec City.

But still, ahead of Houston as at least they don't have an individual that it would have to go through but isn't currently interested in it.

The ecomony in the U.S. is showing signs of improving again and I'm sure things will turn around for Les Alexander as well. Hopefully his interest in owning a team is still there as it would be great to see Houston in the NHL.

And I agree, Houston would be great for the NHL. But I'm not going to hang by hat on the hope that Les gets ridiculously rich again any time soon.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad