Seattle expansion draft

Ghost of Ethan Hunt

The Official Ghost of Space Ghosts Monkey
Jun 23, 2018
Top Secret Moon Base
I hope they expose Dekeyser, if they are trying to pinch pennies now like the abby buyout he is second most overpaid player on the team and the last 2 years are 9.5 million dollars.

Yzerman could replace Dekeyser or better from the waiver wire. There is little risk he would be taken anyway.
For instance, who came across the waiver wire in the last 1 yr. that was an upgrade on DDK? I genuinely don't remember there being one.

PullHard

Jul 18, 2007
The whole discussion was about Cholo being from Langley and got sidetracked. Seattle isn't going to pick Cholo because he's from Langley, a soft AHL defenseman from BC isn't going to convert Canucks fans to Kraken fans.

In fact, I can see the team going the opposite direction and picking as many American players as possible to capture as many Canucks fans in Washington as possible. Market the team as being American, as opposed to Canucks.

It'll make things interesting where I live, because we're bound to have a mix of both Seattle and Canuck fans. I actually know a former Canucks player. He'll probably hate the Kraken, which will be the only reason for me to buy a Kraken jersey, lol.
Oh, I think you completely misinterpreted my original post

Oddbob

Jan 21, 2016
For instance, who came across the waiver wire in the last 1 yr. that was an upgrade on DDK? I genuinely don't remember there being one.

The point is more that he is easily replaceable and not even a bad team should want him for 5 mill. We don't have cap concerns, but he is far from a good defencemen.

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
The point is more that he is easily replaceable and not even a bad team should want him for 5 mill. We don't have cap concerns, but he is far from a good defencemen.
He's overpaid by a mil or so, but he's not bad when healthy. We just don't like him because he's soft, but I think a lot of that has to do with his bad back. (Of course, having watched games last year, my standards are very low. The team sucked worse without him though.)

We'll find out this season if the surgery fixed it or not. If he's still having back issues, I would expect him to be exposed to the draft.

Retire91

Stevey Y you our Guy
May 31, 2010

Honestly what is DDK at best a 4/5 defenseman. I agree a waiver wire D at 4 does not come across but a mediocre to below average 5 is not unreasonable to look for in waivers and UFA. If the organization is desperate enough to save cash to eat Abby's buyout penalty during a window where we might compete I would think an often injured 5 million dollar 5th 6th defenseman should be called to question. So again why would we protect him exactly. What does a last place team need with an injury bug underperforming D on a top pairing-ish contract? Heck Staal easily replaced his presence on this team and we got a second rounder for him.

If they take him so what, if they don't take him also so what. He is not even worth risking a prospect we lost faith in

ShelbyZ

Apr 8, 2015
Both Lindstrom and Rasmussen have 2 years of pro service, If both stay over in Europe i'm pretty sure both would be expansion exempt as they'd need 3 years of pro service and being loaned overseas doesn't count.

Being loaned overseas DOES count, unless the player is 18 or 19 for the whole year AND has yet to play more than 9 NHL games in a season.

Ya i dont understand how this works , capfriendly has lindstrom as a player we need to protect yet hes only played one season in north america and players with 1-2 yrs are exempt no? So even if he played this year for detroit that would be two yrs and then the expansion draft happens and he’s be safe?

Rasmussen had a year with detroit and one with grand rapids so if he plays one more we have to protect him but lindstrom makes no sense ... either way youd have to think cholowski/lindstrom gets saved over dekeyser with one year left (especially if he suffers another injury, no chance he’ll get claimed) and possibly stecher who’ll have one year left to his deal unless we extend him
I'm confused on Lindstrom he signed his ELC in the 2018/2019 season, Yet he played overseas and didn't come to North America until the 2019/2020 season. So it looks like when he was signed he burned a year of his ELC already perhaps his age or some kind of stipulation but seems kind of weird that he has only one season in the minors and majors yet has burned 2 years on his ELC.

It was his age that made 18/19 count.

I think the way it works is that the clock pretty much starts when they burn a year that counts toward pro level. The next seasons they play count as a "pro" year regardless where that is.

It also depends on age. You have to be 18 or 19 for the whole or most of the season for that year to be exempt if you don't spend more than 9 games in the NHL, but are otherwise assigned to a "pro" league (IE AHL, Euro, etc.) by your NHL team.

For Lindstrom: 18/19 was the first year of his ELC. Since he was under NHL contract, turned 20 during the season and was assigned to a pro league, it counted as a "pro" season for ED eligibility. That meant the next 2 years would count regardless of where he played.

Had the Wings already known they wanted him to keep playing in Europe for 18/19, they should've waited another year to sign his ELC, which would've made him exempt for the ED.

For Rasmussen: Having him burn his 19YO season in the NHL instead of sliding his ELC another year counted as "pro" experience and made it where the next 2 years would count regardless of where he played.

Had they sent Rasmussen back to junior before he played his 10th NHL game in 18/19, he'd be exempt for the ED like Zadina is.

The clock starting thing is also why Rybar is technically eligible, even though he only has the one "pro" year in NA.

Last edited:

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
:laugh::DD Funny proposition for sure.

The chances he winds up in SEA "my win" as you say, are likely less than if he goes unprotected & unclaimed "your win" as you say. I would think if he gets protected that would also be considered in your favor, so really 1/3 vs. 2/3, doesn't seem fair.

I don't care enough about it to "wager" anything btw or debate it further. Feel free to disagree & yammer on for another 50 posts...

Either way funny stuff, ButtKraken :laugh:
You win the bet, BTW. Sure he was waived, but they did select him.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad