Seattle expansion draft

FabricDetails

HF still in need of automated text analytics
Mar 30, 2009
Cholo or Lindstrom seem like the obvious ones. Trying to think of potential dark horses, which is how Vegas went a few years back. Maybe Chevy if the Wings leave him unprotected?

Luckily the Wings have more than enough spots and exemptions to protect every worthwhile future core player. They only really need to use like 5-6 spots right now, haha. Everyone else is fairly replaceable.

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
Cholowski if he doesn't show he's worth protecting
Why would Seattle want him if he's not worth protecting? He's really not NHL caliber, nobody wants a defenseman that avoids all physical contact.

I'm going with Givani, Svech, or Timashov. Whichever forward is left unprotected and plays the best this season.

I live 90 miles north of Seattle, it's a very progressive city. They will want at least one minority player, Givani fits the bill. He's shown that he's capable of playing in the NHL, not sure if he'll be anything more than a 4th liner.

Ghost of Ethan Hunt

The Official Ghost of Space Ghosts Monkey
Jun 23, 2018
Top Secret Moon Base
Why would Seattle want him if he's not worth protecting? He's really not NHL caliber, nobody wants a defenseman that avoids all physical contact.

I'm going with Givani, Svech, or Timashov. Whichever forward is left unprotected and plays the best this season.

I live 90 miles north of Seattle, it's a very progressive city. They will want at least one minority player, Givani fits the bill. He's shown that he's capable of playing in the NHL, not sure if he'll be anything more than a 4th liner.
Cholo gets my vote to go to Seattle. His numerous flaws greatly outweigh any PP production & smooth skating. There's not enough time to fix him & he'll at best be a #5/6 2PP even strength liability.

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland
Cholo gets my vote to go to Seattle. His numerous flaws greatly outweigh any PP production & smooth skating. There's not enough time to fix him & he'll at best be a #5/6 2PP even strength liability.

Right now I'd be tempted to protect him and leave Dekeyser out there just as an effort to move him off the team and free up the money to throw at someone else. But maybe Dekeyser will step up whenever next season happens and look better.

Retire91

Stevey Y you our Guy
May 31, 2010
Doesn't Dekeyser have a little bit of trade value like maybe a 3rd? Seems like anyone that can play D even in a depth role has market value. Maybe trade Dekeyser with retention for a second and try to keep both Lidstrom and Cholo.

Ghost of Ethan Hunt

Jun 23, 2018
Top Secret Moon Base
Right now I'd be tempted to protect him and leave Dekeyser out there just as an effort to move him off the team and free up the money to throw at someone else. But maybe Dekeyser will step up whenever next season happens and look better.
Besides having trade value as a now reasonably priced 2nd pairing D, he has some chemistry with Hronek & most importantly, our LD is all but non-existent once Nemeth (likely TDL bait) & Merrill is gone. Staal is basically done & Stecher can play either side on the 3rd pair w/Lindstrom in 21-22.

Resigning Nemeth after netting a 2nd/3rd is an option.

21-22
? (1 yr. cap casualty until Werenski signs in '22) - Seider
DDK-Hronek
Stecher-Lindstrom

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
You don't get to vote, Ron Francis does. He's not going to take Cholo even if he's unprotected. That's my point. Ron knows he can run over Cholo and he's 57 years old now.

Do you think Glendening going to be protected?
He's UFA, so no. He's probably TDL bait anyways.

Oddbob

Jan 21, 2016
Not saying Cholo is going to make it, but holy doodles this board gives up in a damn hurry on young players. The kid has played parts of 2 seasons on a train wreck of a team with terrible d partners. If you are all so into rebuilding than you have to expect some lumps along the way. Give him a reliable defensive partner and let him play and let's see what he can do. He isn't going to adjust properly with his style and equally bad defensive players. Also, his confidence is probably shredded by the fact that every single time he makes a mistake Blashill sits him for extended periods during a game, as if that is great way to fix a young player. We finished dead last by a mile, let him play.

End of the day I am less hopeful about him than I was since last season he didn't play great in the AHL, but lots of young players need 3+ years top figure it all out, especially on defence. Heck, there are some star players right now who were nothing special their first 2-4 seasons and are doing fine now. All I am saying is we need to be a little more patient with prospects and youngsters than we seem to be.

Ghost of Ethan Hunt

Jun 23, 2018
Top Secret Moon Base
You don't get to vote, Ron Francis does. He's not going to take Cholo even if he's unprotected. That's my point. Ron knows he can run over Cholo and he's 57 years old now.

He's UFA, so no. He's probably TDL bait anyways.
Re: "You don't get to vote, Ron Francis does." ...stating the obvious

Also, you can't definitively say he won't pick Cholo. Only Ron Francis knows who he will pick.

PullHard

Jul 18, 2007
Cholowski is also from Langley, not that far from Seattle. Not a huge deal but if ownership and management are thinking about marketing and team identity stuff, it could factor into decision making.

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland
Besides having trade value as a now reasonably priced 2nd pairing D, he has some chemistry with Hronek & most importantly, our LD is all but non-existent once Nemeth (likely TDL bait) & Merrill is gone. Staal is basically done & Stecher can play either side on the 3rd pair w/Lindstrom in 21-22.

Resigning Nemeth after netting a 2nd/3rd is an option.

21-22
? (1 yr. cap casualty until Werenski signs in '22) - Seider
DDK-Hronek
Stecher-Lindstrom

I, too, liked him with Hronek and that's what gives me hope for this next season for him. But there were a few years before that where Dekeyser just didn't live up to his deal. I think to deal DK we have to eat part of the deal. At $5m,if finances are tight around the league he won't have great value. I don't like eating a chunk of his salary to get a 3rd back. At some point, I'd rather either have the full salary to throw at someone else or just roll with him for the year, maybe dealing him at the TDL instead.

ShelbyZ

Apr 8, 2015
Considering he did it with Tampa, I would assume Yzerman won't have any issues making a side deal with Seattle to keep them from taking an unprotected player or two. Especially considering he'll likely have more extra draft picks/assets after he potentially moves the bevy of rental options the Wings will be able to float at the deadline. That said, he probably doesn't pay as much as he did to Seattle....

IMO, for some players, a lot of it is going to depend on what kind of season they have:

Cholowski - If he finishes the year as a regular on the NHL team (and not because the Wings have a bunch of injuries) and has some kind of measurable role, Seattle could consider him. But if he finishes the year in GR and/or still looks like a project at the NHL level, they probably pass.

DeKeyser - Seattle probably isn't going to take on decent cap hits unless they know the player is going to play up to the salary, or they're getting some sweetener from the other team to claim that player. A healthy DeKeyser playing like a top 4 dman left exposed is probably an easy pick for them. Would slot in somewhere probably around #3-5D and help them compete, or given he'll have a year left, a guy they can flip as a rental either before the season or at the deadline to accumulate some assets to build out the rest of their organization.

However, a DeKeyser that seems to have lost a step after his back surgery and/or continues to deal with injuries is probably safe to expose since Seattle would probably rather use that $5M in space on a safer bet to make an impact or a bad contract that they'll get paid in sweeteners to take on.

I think the safest bets for Seattle would be Lindstrom or Stecher. Either one would safely slot in somewhere around #5-7D on their depth chart and be cheap enough to allow them to spend cap elsewhere. That or they take a flier on a younger forward that may still have some upside can potentially slot in the bottom 6 to start like someone exposed out of Erne, Svechnikov, Smith or Timashov. Or they just know they're going to get 29 players better than the Red Wings have exposed, so they just take Riley Barber to be a top guy for their AHL team in Palm Springs.

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA

Also, you can't definitively say he won't pick Cholo. Only Ron Francis knows who he will pick.
I'm about 90% sure he won't. Francis is a former Selke Award winner who averaged 1 PPG in his playing career. I'm 100% positive he can spot a crappy defenseman. Of course, I feel the same way about Yzerman (also >1 PPG and Selke Award winner) and he re-signed Biega, so I guess you never know.

Cholowski is also from Langley, not that far from Seattle. Not a huge deal but if ownership and management are thinking about marketing and team identity stuff, it could factor into decision making.
Langley BC is a suburb of Vancouver, and no, we don't consider Canadians as "home grown". It would be the equivalent of the Wings marketing someone from Kitchener or Hamilton (Toronto suburbs) as a "home grown" player. Doesn't work.

I'm sure Cholo would like being close to home though. It's a nice area if you like cool weather and lots of rain.

(I live 30 miles south of Langley. Look on a map and you can figure out which city.)

Lil Sebastian Cossa

Opinions are share are my own personal opinions.
Jul 6, 2012

Well just sign Seattle right on up to take on a worthless piece of dogshit as Cholo is in your eyes.

Lil Sebastian Cossa

Opinions are share are my own personal opinions.
Jul 6, 2012

If you think Cholowski is literal crap and not worth keeping... why on Earth would a team that is trying to take good players take him?

Reactions: ShelbyZ

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad