Seattle expansion draft

Oddbob

Jan 21, 2016
We expose Dekeyser regardless and he won't be taken. Even a healthy Dekeyser is a 5 million dollar 6th defenceman on pretty much any team and there are a decent amount of teams who wouldn't even want him.

Shaman464

No u
May 1, 2009
Boston, MA
If you think Cholowski is literal crap and not worth keeping... why on Earth would a team that is trying to take good players take him?

Its a gamble, Las Vegas did the same thing though. Some players are crap. Some are just a change of scenery away from being able to make their next step. Taking a player from a team like Detroit where your options are either likely busts, AHL level guys, and a potential project player, the latter could be your best bet.

Shaman464

No u
May 1, 2009
Boston, MA
We expose Dekeyser regardless and he won't be taken. Even a healthy Dekeyser is a 5 million dollar 6th defenceman on pretty much any team and there are a decent amount of teams who wouldn't even want him.

Why? It comes off the books in two season and Detroit isn't in any type of cap crunch.

Oddbob

Jan 21, 2016
Why? It comes off the books in two season and Detroit isn't in any type of cap crunch.

Why what? Keep him? He is a replaceable defender who is overpaid by at least half. Nemeth at 3 provided a better defender than Dekeyser just last year and on a worse team than the ones Dekeyser played for as he basically didn't play last season. If we are keeping Dekeyser than we really have no chance of improving our blueline.

Shaman464

No u
May 1, 2009
Boston, MA
Why what? Keep him? He is a replaceable defender who is overpaid by at least half. Nemeth at 3 provided a better defender than Dekeyser just last year and on a worse team than the ones Dekeyser played for as he basically didn't play last season. If we are keeping Dekeyser than we really have no chance of improving our blueline.

They have no chance of improving the blue line if they keep DD? That makes no sense. Even if you count DD they have 3 NHL level defenders on the team anyway. Protecting him isn't going to expose anyone that the lose of will be a net negative to the team.

Oddbob

Jan 21, 2016
They have no chance of improving the blue line if they keep DD? That makes no sense. Even if you count DD they have 3 NHL level defenders on the team anyway. Protecting him isn't going to expose anyone that the lose of will be a net negative to the team.

I'm not talking about 20-21, but beyond. If we waste 5 million on him than we are paying way too much for an average defender. I am not saying we lose anyone of value as there will be no one to take, I am just saying if we lose Dekeyser that is also no big deal either.

Ghost of Ethan Hunt

The Official Ghost of Space Ghosts Monkey
Jun 23, 2018
Top Secret Moon Base
If you think Cholowski is literal crap and not worth keeping... why on Earth would a team that is trying to take good players take him?

@tsweeney @Gniwder

Possibly b/c I'm not an NHL GM/Scout.

Maybe they see things I don't, good & bad.

Maybe they see him as young enough & salvageable.

Maybe they think, at worst he can be a cheap #5-7 dman for the next 4+ yrs til UFA.

Maybe they assume DET just "ruined" another dman prospect with poor development.

Maybe b/c he plays an important position.

Maybe he's the best on the list/most useful of available Wings players: (Cholo, Smith, Svech, Timashov) for example.

Snuggs

Jun 24, 2018
I'm worried the guy that's going to be selected is Gustav Lindstrom. :( It might be worth while moving him in a package for something at the deadline vs just losing him outright.

Reactions: DetroitRed

Ghost of Ethan Hunt

Jun 23, 2018
Top Secret Moon Base
I'm about 90% sure he won't. Francis is a former Selke Award winner who averaged 1 PPG in his playing career. I'm 100% positive he can spot a crappy defenseman. Of course, I feel the same way about Yzerman (also >1 PPG and Selke Award winner) and he re-signed Biega, so I guess you never know.

Langley BC is a suburb of Vancouver, and no, we don't consider Canadians as "home grown". It would be the equivalent of the Wings marketing someone from Kitchener or Hamilton (Toronto suburbs) as a "home grown" player. Doesn't work.

I'm sure Cholo would like being close to home though. It's a nice area if you like cool weather and lots of rain.

(I live 30 miles south of Langley. Look on a map and you can figure out which city.)

I've been watching hockey a Decade before Ron Francis' rookie year, I know who he is & what he accomplished...again you're stating the obvious.

Also to your point, Yzerman drafted Slater Koekoek @ 10th OA in '12! So even our GM can make mistakes. For all we know Francis could like Cholo's easy going personality & think he'll be a good fit with the group & very receptive/impressionable (moldable) under a new coach/team/system. For more on this topic read post #33.

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
I've been watching hockey a Decade before Ron Francis' rookie year, I know who he is & what he accomplished...again you're stating the obvious.

Also to your point, Yzerman drafted Slater Koekoek @ 10th OA in '12! So even our GM can make mistakes. For all we know Francis could like Cholo's easy going personality & think he'll be a good fit with the group & very receptive/impressionable (moldable) under a new coach/team/system. For more on this topic read post #33.
Blash did ruin him, and at this point he's unfixable. He avoids all physical contact, he plays COVID hockey with 6 ft social distancing. Anyone who watches hockey can figure that out, I would assume both Yzerman and Francis have better hockey eyes than I do.

Guys like him, you gotta leave him in the AHL until he toughens up and not let him play in the NHL until he actually hits someone in the AHL.
Unless this COVID lockdown caused his testicles to descend, he's gonna wind up in Europe.

On top of that his decision making process is way too slow. I've been saying all this since his rookie season, and finally there a few people that get it now.

In any case, I'm certain enough to place a wager:
- Tie, if Cholo gets protected (because Francis can't pick him)
- I win if Cholo is unprotected and doesn't get picked
- You win if Cholo winds up in Seattle (doesn't matter how, could even be in a trade)

Loser has to change his username to ButtKraken for one year.

I'm very much certain because I've looked at multiple lists of projected D-men available..... and CHolo sucks.

Ghost of Ethan Hunt

Jun 23, 2018
Top Secret Moon Base
Blash did ruin him, and at this point he's unfixable. He avoids all physical contact, he plays COVID hockey with 6 ft social distancing. Anyone who watches hockey can figure that out, I would assume both Yzerman and Francis have better hockey eyes than I do.

Guys like him, you gotta leave him in the AHL until he toughens up and not let him play in the NHL until he actually hits someone in the AHL.
Unless this COVID lockdown caused his testicles to descend, he's gonna wind up in Europe.

On top of that his decision making process is way too slow. I've been saying all this since his rookie season, and finally there a few people that get it now.

In any case, I'm certain enough to place a wager:
- Tie, if Cholo gets protected (because Francis can't pick him)
- I win if Cholo is unprotected and doesn't get picked
- You win if Cholo winds up in Seattle (doesn't matter how, could even be in a trade)

Loser has to change his username to ButtKraken for one year.

I'm very much certain because I've looked at multiple lists of projected D-men available..... and CHolo sucks.
:laugh::DD Funny proposition for sure.

The chances he winds up in SEA "my win" as you say, are likely less than if he goes unprotected & unclaimed "your win" as you say. I would think if he gets protected that would also be considered in your favor, so really 1/3 vs. 2/3, doesn't seem fair.

I don't care enough about it to "wager" anything btw or debate it further. Feel free to disagree & yammer on for another 50 posts...

Either way funny stuff, ButtKraken :laugh:

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
:laugh::DD Funny proposition for sure.

The chances he winds up in SEA "my win" as you say, are likely less than if he goes unprotected & unclaimed "your win" as you say. I would think if he gets protected that would also be considered in your favor, so really 1/3 vs. 2/3, doesn't seem fair.

I don't care enough about it to "wager" anything btw. Feel free to disagree & yammer on for another 50 posts...

Either way funny stuff, ButtKraken :laugh:
If he gets protected, it's a tie so nobody has to change their username.

I came up with that off the top of my head, I thought it was funny too.

Look at the list of available d-men, there's no way Cholo gets picked. If anything, I wouldn't be surprised if DEtroit acquires a Dman from Seattle through a trade since Staal, Merrill, Nemeth, and Biega are all UFA. List of UFA Dmen next offseason really isn't impressive.

PullHard

Jul 18, 2007
Langley BC is a suburb of Vancouver, and no, we don't consider Canadians as "home grown". It would be the equivalent of the Wings marketing someone from Kitchener or Hamilton (Toronto suburbs) as a "home grown" player. Doesn't work.

I'm sure Cholo would like being close to home though. It's a nice area if you like cool weather and lots of rain.

(I live 30 miles south of Langley. Look on a map and you can figure out which city.)

I mean I'm from the GTA so I can't speak for west coast geopolitical identities, but I would just assume by looking at google maps that Langley is a southern BC city that is a ~2-2.5 hour drive away as being a generally local PNW sort of area. I am aware that Vancouver/ Seattle is sort of like a Toronto(GTA)/ Buffalo type thing.

Obviously the Canucks would be more of a "hometown team" situation, I won't contest that at all, I was just speculating that it is something that Seattle ownership might push for despite it not being a guy born and raised in Seattle proper.

I think a comparable that you're looking for in Ontario (~2-2.5 hours away) would be the London, Ontario area, which gets pretty split between Leafs and Red Wings fans, so I'm calling your bluff on that one.

Marky9er

Jan 30, 2008

Mark Scheifele did grow up a red wing fan in Kitchener, just saying.

Did you grow up a Leafs fan?
I grew up a Red Wings fan . . . my dad was a big Red Wings fan growing up too, so that kind of got taken over by the kids.”
Who was your favorite player?
Steve Yzerman.

Number1RedWingsFan52

Mar 17, 2013
Winter Haven Florida
I'm worried the guy that's going to be selected is Gustav Lindstrom. :( It might be worth while moving him in a package for something at the deadline vs just losing him outright.
Both Lindstrom and Rasmussen have 2 years of pro service, If both stay over in Europe i'm pretty sure both would be expansion exempt as they'd need 3 years of pro service and being loaned overseas doesn't count.

Hockeyfannnn91

Jan 26, 2019
Both Lindstrom and Rasmussen have 2 years of pro service, If both stay over in Europe i'm pretty sure both would be expansion exempt as they'd need 3 years of pro service and being loaned overseas doesn't count.
Ya i dont understand how this works , capfriendly has lindstrom as a player we need to protect yet hes only played one season in north america and players with 1-2 yrs are exempt no? So even if he played this year for detroit that would be two yrs and then the expansion draft happens and he’s be safe?

Rasmussen had a year with detroit and one with grand rapids so if he plays one more we have to protect him but lindstrom makes no sense ... either way youd have to think cholowski/lindstrom gets saved over dekeyser with one year left (especially if he suffers another injury, no chance he’ll get claimed) and possibly stecher who’ll have one year left to his deal unless we extend him

Number1RedWingsFan52

Mar 17, 2013
Winter Haven Florida
Ya i dont understand how this works , capfriendly has lindstrom as a player we need to protect yet hes only played one season in north america and players with 1-2 yrs are exempt no? So even if he played this year for detroit that would be two yrs and then the expansion draft happens and he’s be safe?

Rasmussen had a year with detroit and one with grand rapids so if he plays one more we have to protect him but lindstrom makes no sense ... either way youd have to think cholowski/lindstrom gets saved over dekeyser with one year left (especially if he suffers another injury, no chance he’ll get claimed) and possibly stecher who’ll have one year left to his deal unless we extend him
I'm confused on Lindstrom he signed his ELC in the 2018/2019 season, Yet he played overseas and didn't come to North America until the 2019/2020 season. So it looks like when he was signed he burned a year of his ELC already perhaps his age or some kind of stipulation but seems kind of weird that he has only one season in the minors and majors yet has burned 2 years on his ELC.

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
I among them. What I mean is if the wings try to sell me one of our own (Scheifele or otherwise) as a "homegrown talent" I'm buying it.
You guys are being silly, Seattle is an expansion team, Canucks fans in Canada aren't going to jump on the bandwagon of an expansion team. It's the other way around, most Seattle hockey fans are Canucks fans. I think the conversion rate will be high in WA, but don't anticipate any Canadians converting to Kraken fans when the Canucks have way more history.

Langley is 10 miles from Vancouver 120 miles from Seattle, and Americans don't see Canadians as home grown. Geographically, Langley is closer than Spokane (TJ's home town), but there's something to be said from being raised in the state.

I actually live closer to Vancouver than Seattle, but will be joining the Krak bandwagon.

Marky9er

Jan 30, 2008
You guys are being silly, Seattle is an expansion team, Canucks fans in Canada aren't going to jump on the bandwagon of an expansion team. It's the other way around, most Seattle hockey fans are Canucks fans. I think the conversion rate will be high in WA, but don't anticipate any Canadians converting to Kraken fans when the Canucks have way more history.

Langley is 10 miles from Vancouver 120 miles from Seattle, and Americans don't see Canadians as home grown. Geographically, Langley is closer than Spokane (TJ's home town), but there's something to be said from being raised in the state.

I actually live closer to Vancouver than Seattle, but will be joining the Krak bandwagon.
I was just pointing out that Scheifele was a second generation wing's fan raised in KW. That kind of thing could happen in BC but it would take decades. Internet has displaced the airwaves that brought on those kind of fan enclaves(fanclave?) so I tend to agree with you in general in regards to Seattle.

I could see Stecher going there and liking it but I hope we hang on to him if he is half decent this year.

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
I was just pointing out that Scheifele was a second generation wing's fan raised in KW. That kind of thing could happen in BC but it would take decades. Internet has displaced the airwaves that brought on those kind of fan enclaves(fanclave?) so I tend to agree with you in general in regards to Seattle.

I could see Stecher going there and liking it but I hope we hang on to him if he is half decent this year.
The whole discussion was about Cholo being from Langley and got sidetracked. Seattle isn't going to pick Cholo because he's from Langley, a soft AHL defenseman from BC isn't going to convert Canucks fans to Kraken fans.

In fact, I can see the team going the opposite direction and picking as many American players as possible to capture as many Canucks fans in Washington as possible. Market the team as being American, as opposed to Canucks.

It'll make things interesting where I live, because we're bound to have a mix of both Seattle and Canuck fans. I actually know a former Canucks player. He'll probably hate the Kraken, which will be the only reason for me to buy a Kraken jersey, lol.

Reactions: Winger98

Retire91

Stevey Y you our Guy
May 31, 2010
I hope they expose Dekeyser, if they are trying to pinch pennies now like the abby buyout he is second most overpaid player on the team and the last 2 years are 9.5 million dollars.

Yzerman could replace Dekeyser or better from the waiver wire. There is little risk he would be taken anyway.

Reactions: Oddbob

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad