Pre-Game Talk: Seattle Expansion Draft (It matters)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Johnny Canucker

Jan 4, 2009
I agree it would be a downer, but as a bad deal it's still a long way from trading a second rounder and Tyler Madden to the Kings for Tyler Tofoli, and then losing him to the Habs.

Yah that was maybe the worst thing JB has done in his tenure and that’s saying a lot. Just no plan or vision. How many years has he traded picks for bandaids and we still miss the playoffs. 7 years of high picks we should be stockpiled with prospects fighting for spots. We have f*** all in the farm with any value.

all these people saying he was a good scout … really?

Lind 33rd overall
Woo 37 overall
Juolevi 5th overall
Virtanen 6th

Acquired :

Sbisa
Vey
Prust
Sutter
Grandlund
Gudbransen
Leipsic
Jokinen
Spooner

Traded away

kesler
Forsling
Bieksa
McCaan
Biega
Madden
Gaudette

Traded away picks

First - 1
Second -5
Third - 6
Fourth -5
Fifth-2
Sixth -3
Seventh - 2

24 picks traded away in 7 years …. For what? To miss the playoffs all those years ?

Cupless44

Jun 25, 2014
For the sake of my curiosity, I played around with who I'd take in the expansion draft if I were Seattle and this is what I came up with:

AnaheimD - Josh MahuraRFA
ArizonaRW - Tyler Pitlick$1.75 million/1 year to UFA
BostonD - Connor Clifton$1.0/2 to UFA
BuffaloG - Dustin Tokarski$715k/1 to UFA
CalgaryD - Mark Giordano$6.75/1 to UFA
CarolinaW - Nino Niederreiter$5.25/1 to UFA
ChicagoW/C - Adam GaudetteRFA
ColoradoW - Joonas Donskoi$3.9/2 to UFA
ColumbusC - Kevin Stenlund$1.0/1 to RFA
DallasD - Ben GleasonRFA
DetroitD - Troy Stecher$1.7/1 to UFA
EdmontonW - Tyler BensonRFA
FloridaG - Chris DreidgerUFA
LAC - Blake Lizotte$800k/1 to RFA
MinnesotaD - Carson Soucy$2.75/2 to UFA
MontrealD - Brett Kulak$1.8/1 to UFA
NashvilleC- Nick Cousins$1.5/1 to UFA
New JerseyW - Nathan Bastian$825/2 to RFA
NYID - Sebastien Aho$725k/1 to RFA
NYRW - Colin Blackwell$725k/1 to UFA
OttawaC - Chris Tierney$3.5/1 to UFA
PhiladelphiaW - Nicolas Aube-Kubel$1.0/1 to RFA
PittsburghW - Brandon Tanev$3.5/4 to UFA
San JoseC - Dylan Gambrell$1.1/1 to RFA
St LouisD - Vince DunnRFA
TampaC - Tyler Johnson*$5.0/3 to UFA
TorontoC - Jared McCann$2.9/1 to RFA
VancouverW - Matthew Highmore$725k/1 to RFA
WashingtonG - Vitek Vanecek$716k/1 to RFA
WinnipegC - Mason Appleton$900k/1 to RFA
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
- basically the idea here is to commit as little money past 21-22 as possible, especially to players over 30, while following the Vegas model and building a fast, high-motor team.

- obviously Seattle will do better than this because they can make trades. The only trade I assumed was the one dead certainty, which is that Seattle will surely cull major assets from Tampa for taking Tyler Johnson.

- this comes in at $50.5 million, just over the $49 million minimum needed from the expansion draft. From there it will be very easy to get to the $60 million cap floor.

- I tried to take a mix of a few quality veterans (Giordano, Niederreiter) close to UFA mixed with a bunch of younger/faster players with some upside.

- again, tried to pick veterans with only 1 year left so if the team is out of the playoffs it presents a potential haul at the 2022 deadline. The only money I committed past age 30 and past 1 year was to Johnson (again, trade for extra assets) and Brandon Tanev who I am a massive fan of.

- took Dreidger-Vanecek as the two goalies and a veteran for the AHL.

- toughest choice is Demelo vs. Appleton from Winnipeg. Would love to have Demelo on that blueline but Appleton is probably the highest-value asset available in the entire draft.

- took a lot of Cs assuming some could move to wing. There isn't any impact C there but McCann/Appleton/Tierney/Johnson is actually 4 very solid top-9 two-way centers. Easy to build a very good 4-line team from that foundation.

This leads to a roster something like :

Niederreiter-McCann-Blackwell
Johnson-Tierney-Gaudette
Tanev-Appleton-Donskoi
Bastian-Cousins-Pitlick

Soucy-Giordano
Dunn-Clifton
Mahura-Stecher

(sides not necessarily correct)

To me that looks not bad at all.

Wow that team wont win many games. One thing you didnt really take into account, other than having lots of cap space is that they have to be able to sell the team to a new market and Vegas set a high bar.

Did you see Cap Friendlys team?

CanucksMJL

Context apologist.
Jul 6, 2009
I hate this roster freeze concept. A bunch of shit is happening and has already happened. We just don't know about it yet. At least July Christmas wasn't disturbed.

Reactions: Bettman Returnz

Bettman Returnz

Why so serious?
Jul 28, 2003
BC
Visit site
I hate this roster freeze concept. A bunch of shit is happening and has already happened. We just don't know about it yet. At least July Christmas wasn't disturbed.
Well at least it’s only one more day for kraken to announce the trades they made/ expansion draft picks… or 2 more days for freeze to lift. Hopefully more rumours leak today.

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
Yah that was maybe the worst thing JB has done in his tenure and that’s saying a lot. Just no plan or vision. How many years has he traded picks for bandaids and we still miss the playoffs. 7 years of high picks we should be stockpiled with prospects fighting for spots. We have f*** all in the farm with any value.

Lind 33rd overall
Woo 37 overall
Juolevi 5th overall
Virtanen 6th

Acquired :

Sbisa
Vey
Prust
Sutter
Grandlund
Gudbransen
Leipsic
Jokinen
Spooner

Traded away

kesler
Forsling
Bieksa
McCaan
Biega
Madden
Gaudette

Traded away picks

First - 1
Second -5
Third - 6
Fourth -5
Fifth-2
Sixth -3
Seventh - 2

24 picks traded away in 7 years …. For what? To miss the playoffs all those years ?
From what you’ve presented, and where the club is at, it’s hard to argue against the next GM needing to do a complete rebuild upon his arrival. What a friggin’ mess.

Reactions: mossey3535

dbaz

Jan 29, 2010

Yes he has traded too many picks away.
But still way better results than past.
Look at the amount of players hes drafted that have graduated. Especially in the last 4 years(this is why the ahl is not filled with quality, along with less picks from the chl which are players who get to the ahl faster)
He was stupid and traded prospects/picks some away, but thats not a scouting move and doesnt take away from him drafting them. its just ridiculously bad pro scouting

Last edited:

theguardianII

Jan 30, 2020
The players available to the Kraken are all NHL players with pedigree.
This make them superior, out of the box to the Canucks.

IMO, if Benning wants to be better than them he HAS to create two superior forwards lines and improve the defence immensely.

To this end MAKE a trade with Columbus, use what ever is needed as long as it is for YOUNG players
Something like Boeser, Schmidt and a conditional 1rst rounder for Jones and Laine, add additional later round picks even, maybe two conditional 2nds.

Hughes, Miller and a conditional 1rst if needed for Dahlin

Jones and Dahlin add size and can each play 20 plus minutes, in Jone's case, up to 30 minutes

The sign Jones to a 8 mil 6 to 8 year
Laine to another bridge type deal, maybe 9 mil avg for 6 years
Dahlin gets a 4 mil 4 year.

Draft picks after the 1rst round have been, as Benning says "a crap shoot, happy to just get a player".

At anyrate the idea is to create two good forward lines and a defence with two STUDs

Then hire someone to teach how to win a FO

Kraken will be contending for a playoff spot

TeddyBare

Jul 28, 2016
Mississauga, Ontario
I have to give props to some Canucks twitter for claiming

montreal is trying to get Seattle to take price so they can offer-sheet pettersson

canucks twitter never ceases to deliver with hot takes
thats a bold one

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad