Pre-Game Talk: Seattle Expansion Draft (It matters)

Status
Not open for further replies.

CanucksMJL

Context apologist.
Jul 6, 2009
While I don't believe we have anything worth taking as it stands, that is actually a good opportunity for us to improve. There are teams out there that have too many unprotectable players that our beloved GM could potentially acquire.

What is our strategy here? What teams are vulnerable and who is available from those teams?

Bettman Returnz

Why so serious?
Jul 28, 2003
BC
Visit site
While I don't believe we have anything worth taking as it stands, that is actually a good opportunity for us to improve. There are teams out there that have too many unprotectable players that our beloved GM could potentially acquire.

What is our strategy here? What teams are vulnerable and who is available from those teams?
I like this in theory…. But we have like no cap space to take advantage of others, either.

iceburg

Don't ask why
Aug 31, 2003
The mystery that preceded the Vegas expansion has resulted in way too high expectations here. GMs are much smarter this time around. They won't be giving up assets to protect a player just to lose another in expansion. Sure, some transactions will be done but my advice would be to tap down the expectations for anything significant.

Bubbles

Die Hard for Bedard 2023
Apr 16, 2004
BC Teams:Nucks,Juve

As far as I know, in the last expansion draft no other team other than Vegas acquired someone as part of a side deal.

Benning lucked out in the last one because we had a horrible lineup and McPhee almost did us a favour and took Sbisa off our hands.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017

Don't believe that BS stuff you read in other articles.

Teams all have to lose 1 player. So, if you are STL and you trade say Vince Dunn for an asset. Who is the next guy on the list that they will lose to Seattle? The Carolina deal to Anaheim with Fleury was a short term move. If they lose Hamilton to Free Agency and lose one of Bean/Skjei and that Finnish guy also leaves, that's half their D core gone in an off-season.

Islanders will protect Pellech and Pulock. Dobson is exempt. Greene is old so won't get protected, but he's UFA I believe. Leaves them down to Mayfield and Leddy. Mayfield is cheaper at $1.5 mill vs $5.5 mill of Leddy who has a year left as well. RHD are Pulock, Dobson, Mayfield, Wilde. LHD Leddy, Greene, Pelleck. Leddy plays more so that's a call Lou has to make. If he needs cap room, maybe Leddy is the guy to expose

I think more teams are going to leave higher cap hit players exposed.

At the end of the day, a team is NOT likely to trade a ED eligible player, get an asset back and then lose another ED eligble player.

Javaman

Jul 13, 2010
Vancouver
The strategy should be to protect Pettersson, Hughes, Boeser, Demko, and Horvat.

Every other player should be left unprotected

krutovsdonut

eeyore
Sep 25, 2016
if we acquire an asset a team has to expose then by definition we have to pay in picks or exempt prospects, and then we have to expose someone.

if we add a dman, we expose juolevi who likely goes. if we add a forward, we expose three of motte, lind, mcewen, or gadjovic, instead of two.

there's a decent chance juolevi gets picked if exposed. he still has waiver exemption at the beginning of the season so if the kraken stockpile dmen like vegas did, juolevi can be parked in the ahl at the beginning of the season if necessary.

if motte gets exposed i think he's a no brainer to go also. the other three to me are a pick'em.

so i would say the team could add a forward depending on how much they value the other three.

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010
The mystery that preceded the Vegas expansion has resulted in way too high expectations here. GMs are much smarter this time around. They won't be giving up assets to protect a player just to lose another in expansion. Sure, some transactions will be done but my advice would be to tap down the expectations for anything significant.

Yeah. I think teams and GMs mostly learned from a few paying through the nose with Vegas, that it's better to just give up your one single player, take your medicine, and move on. As opposed to trying to cut deals and coughing up other assets to have them take one player instead of another. Vegas made it pretty clear that, barring some exceptional situation, it's easier to stomach losing one player, than multiple pieces.

I mean...you never really know, until it happens. Every year, it seems like "maybe GMs have learned their lesson" with "Free Agent Frenzy"...and then they go ahead and demonstrate that in the heat of the moment, they get caught up in all the excitement and willfully make the same mistakes again. So...anything is possible. :dunno:

I just get the impression that this expansion draft, the mistakes and wheeling and dealing are going to be far more about unloading bad contracts/cap. Driven into overdrive perhaps, by the squeeze of the flat cap right now.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
There are two opportunities for the Canucks in this expansion draft.

The first is to trade for useful players that other teams can't protect. Of course that would mean complicating their own protection list. But the Canucks have enough bad contracts to avoid exposing anyone useful.

The second opportunity is a trade with Seattle to induce them to take one of those 'bad contracts'......probably picks and a prospect.

But does anyone out there think Benning and the Canucks will actually accomplish either?

Reactions: ChilliBilly

Peter10

Dec 7, 2003
Germany
if we acquire an asset a team has to expose then by definition we have to pay in picks or exempt prospects, and then we have to expose someone.

if we add a dman, we expose juolevi who likely goes. if we add a forward, we expose three of motte, lind, mcewen, or gadjovic, instead of two.

there's a decent chance juolevi gets picked if exposed. he still has waiver exemption at the beginning of the season so if the kraken stockpile dmen like vegas did, juolevi can be parked in the ahl at the beginning of the season if necessary.

if motte gets exposed i think he's a no brainer to go also. the other three to me are a pick'em.

so i would say the team could add a forward depending on how much they value the other three.

Imagine not trading for a good player because it would mean you either loose Juolevi or MacEwen.

wetcoast

Nov 20, 2018
Tyler Myers being protected is hilarious and pretty much sums up Benning in a nutshell.

Sums up the Canucks as an organization pretty clearly though.

A bad term/amount signing at the stage the Canucks were in at the time and the team isn’t really any better off in hockey terms a couple of years later.

Reactions: vanuck

rypper

21-12-05 it's finally over.
Dec 22, 2006

Motte would be the only loss and the team can protect him.

AppleHoneySauce

Apr 26, 2021

Why the hell would we expose juolevi if we get another D? Hughes is exempt and schmidt is the only other auto protect. What other D is worth protecting over juolevi even if we add one more?

krutovsdonut

eeyore
Sep 25, 2016
Why the hell would we expose juolevi if we get another D? Hughes is exempt and schmidt is the only other auto protect. What other D is worth protecting over juolevi even if we add one more?

here in the real world myers is getting protected. if you want to discuss exposing him there is a fantasy thread.

Peen

Rejoicing in a Benning-free world
Oct 6, 2013
here in the real world myers is getting protected. if you want to discuss exposing him there is a fantasy thread.
Krutov man he sucks and has three years left

He doesn’t fit with anyone. Of the three guys we have on the left side, he’s a terrible fit with Hughes and Edler and then down the stretch, Rathbone looked better than Myers when they played together + why pay $6MM for a guy to play 3rd pair?

krutovsdonut

eeyore
Sep 25, 2016
Why exactly would we protect myers over juolevi. What is the reasoning that makes you think exposing myers is fantasy?

i didn't say what i would do. i said in the real world myers is not getting exposed in expansion so no serious discussion of what may happen involves that assumption. i mean if they were to do that it would disprove everything you and others stridently believe about benning. myers has been exactly who we signed if not slightly better than expected. i believe they are happy with him.

we can protect three dmen. presently that will be schmidt, myers and juolevi. if they were to add a dman available due to expansion i think they would expose juolevi and likely lose him to seattle . i don't think the canucks want juolevi any more after watching what green did with him this season but i think they harbour hopes he can be trade bait, so if they acquire a dman they will factor in the expected loss of juolevi in their calculus.

i will concede there is a scenario where the canucks acquire a physical rhd minute muncher with a big contract where they might expose myers to get out of their resulting jam.

MarkMM

Jan 30, 2010
Delta, BC
Yeah, I'd leave Myers unprotected in the hopes we get a mulligan over his idiotic signing, but I'd worry Benning either out of stubborness/pride or stupidity would go ahead and protect him over Juolevi who for all his faults still might have some potential and at worse isn't a net negative like Myers and his cap.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad