Seattle Arena discussion, vol. XII

Status
Not open for further replies.

aqib

Feb 13, 2012
OVG will be asking for ownership equity in the 2 teams too.

If I heard his last interview correctly, Hansen would have the NHL be part of the arena ownership group, so if that is the case, then they would get a percentage of the revenues too

Isn't OVG tied in with MSG? Wouldn't that preclude them getting stakes in the teams?

gstommylee

Jan 31, 2012
The settlement between Seattle and the owners of the Thunder:

IOW, the team name, colors, and logos all can go back to Seattle if an expansion team is founded there to play in a renovated Key Arena. The team history for the purpose of recordkeeping will remain in OKC, because the 5 year limit has passed. It's not clear to me whether the 5 year limit applies to the trophies, banners, and retired numbers, because of how it's separated out; I presume the new owner would be able to get those back, since it's in its own paragraph. Also, they're already in Seattle, so I can't imagine OKC would care that much.

The catch here is that all of this applies specifically to an expansion team in a renovated arena. SoDo might have an awkward hurdle there; they could conceivably build their arena, get the league to agree to give them a team... then have Bennett be a spiteful d*** and say that since SoDo isn't a renovated KeyArena, they won't give them the rights to the name, logo, and colors.

Seattle owns the rights to name logo and colors. Its the history that in question of if we fully get it back or not.

gstommylee

Jan 31, 2012
Is there an addendum or revision to the agreement I posted above? I'd love to see it, if there is.

Its been the same since 08.

The team name logo and colors isn't going to be a problem what so ever. Its the team history that's in question.

If Seattle gets a NBA team again they will be the Seattle SuperSonics.

Even the RFP specifics Sonics.

j1012

Dec 8, 2014

Some of the city council voted down Hansen's street vacation for his request for bond money

Ernie

Aug 3, 2004
From the article:

Hansen's vacation petition is in process. The project's website, SonicsArena.com, notes that it is seeking "a waiver of the city's admissions tax and an adjustment of the city's B&O tax for revenue generated out of town".

What qualifies as "out of town" here? Any tickets sold to people to don't live in Seattle proper, which makes up only about 20% of the regional population? That would be a bad precedent to set.

snovalleyhockeyfan

I'm just the messenger.....
May 22, 2008
North Bend, WA
From the article:

What qualifies as "out of town" here? Any tickets sold to people to don't live in Seattle proper, which makes up only about 20% of the regional population? That would be a bad precedent to set.

I am reading the specific post on SonicsArena, here it is:

http://www.sonicsarena.com/news/article/moving-forward

To tell you the truth, I'm not too sure. I'm guessing that they're going to try to set it up such that revenue generated by fans/companies located outside of Seattle wouldn't be taxable income. I'll take this over to the Sonics Rising forum and ask there and get you an answer, because this is a good question.

snovalleyhockeyfan

May 22, 2008
North Bend, WA
So we have a potential complication in the KeyArena plans to report:

I'd have to assume if one of the Key plans gets selected and construction is underway at that time, they'd probably move the Seattle games to Spokane FYI. We'll have to see how this could impact things.

snovalleyhockeyfan

May 22, 2008
North Bend, WA
Seattle doing retreads, because people are not happy with Murray.

Well, yeah. I will caution you though and note that there's still a few weeks left for people to file for this seat. That said, though, I doubt now you're going to see additional candidates of this stature enter the race as they'll have to battle for money and endorsements, which are not going to be easy to get.

And it's not that people aren't happy with this mayor, either. Rather, it's all about his legal problems which seem to be permeating the discussion on this arena issue and I'm sure others as well right now in Seattle.

j1012

Dec 8, 2014
So we have a potential complication in the KeyArena plans to report:

I'd have to assume if one of the Key plans gets selected and construction is underway at that time, they'd probably move the Seattle games to Spokane FYI. We'll have to see how this could impact things.

According to the Seattle PI, any construction at the Key will have to wait until after 2019 event.

In addition, there was miscommunications between groups within the city government when they bidded on the NCAA games .

http://m.seattlepi.com/sports/colle...pment-NCAA-tournament-scheduling-11081354.php

Melrose Munch

Mar 18, 2007
Well, yeah. I will caution you though and note that there's still a few weeks left for people to file for this seat. That said, though, I doubt now you're going to see additional candidates of this stature enter the race as they'll have to battle for money and endorsements, which are not going to be easy to get.

And it's not that people aren't happy with this mayor, either. Rather, it's all about his legal problems which seem to be permeating the discussion on this arena issue and I'm sure others as well right now in Seattle.

According to the Seattle PI, any construction at the Key will have to wait until after 2019 event.

In addition, there was miscommunications between groups within the city government when they bidded on the NCAA games .

http://m.seattlepi.com/sports/colle...pment-NCAA-tournament-scheduling-11081354.php

Well hopefully McGinn wins so Sodo can happen and end this.

snovalleyhockeyfan

May 22, 2008
North Bend, WA
Well hopefully McGinn wins so Sodo can happen and end this.

We will certainly see. Speaking of the mayor's race, McGinn and Murray now have another candidate to deal with:

http://www.carymoonformayor.com/

A city activist by the name of Cary Moon, who has been an advocate for the Seattle waterfront, is announcing her candidacy this morning. Moon's position paper, which you can find on her website in the "Vision" section, has no mention of any positions on proposed arena plans, but considering her background as a waterfront activist, I'm guessing she may be opposed to SoDo and more supportive of the KeyArena plans.

I do not see her chances as strong largely due to lack of name familiarity compared to McGinn/Murray, but we'll just have to see. She may be someone voters who aren't comfortable voting for the other two might look at, as her positions on other issues are relatively similar I think to the other two candidates from my read of them earlier.

There has been some discussion in local media the past few days of a so-called "mystery" candidate for the mayor's seat, and Ms. Moon appears to be that candidate. Should be interesting to see where she is on the arena, and I'd guess Daniels or someone else covering this will pin her down on that in due course.

kurt

the last emperor
Sep 11, 2004
Victoria
The fact is they'll have "traffic" no matter what.... is it just me or is this conversation about traffic INSANE?

I don't think the obstacle is traffic itself - it's that residents of SLU/Queen Anne/etc are opposed to how pro sports in their area will impact the community, particularly from a traffic perspective. Nothing insane about that, and I understand that's what civic representatives are trying to work around and resolve. I wouldn't want a major arena dropped next door without major investments in managing the negative impacts of the arena, either. Especially if I lived in an area that has already experienced development that has excessively outpaced infrastructural capacity. That area has utterly exploded.

gstommylee

Jan 31, 2012
We will certainly see. Speaking of the mayor's race, McGinn and Murray now have another candidate to deal with:

http://www.carymoonformayor.com/

A city activist by the name of Cary Moon, who has been an advocate for the Seattle waterfront, is announcing her candidacy this morning. Moon's position paper, which you can find on her website in the "Vision" section, has no mention of any positions on proposed arena plans, but considering her background as a waterfront activist, I'm guessing she may be opposed to SoDo and more supportive of the KeyArena plans.

I do not see her chances as strong largely due to lack of name familiarity compared to McGinn/Murray, but we'll just have to see. She may be someone voters who aren't comfortable voting for the other two might look at, as her positions on other issues are relatively similar I think to the other two candidates from my read of them earlier.

There has been some discussion in local media the past few days of a so-called "mystery" candidate for the mayor's seat, and Ms. Moon appears to be that candidate. Should be interesting to see where she is on the arena, and I'd guess Daniels or someone else covering this will pin her down on that in due course.

I don't think she has a shot.

gstommylee

Jan 31, 2012
http://www.bizjournals.com/seattle/...rena-group-discussions-nhl-nba-ownership.html

With the NBA not planning to expand anytime soon and no teams for sale, it’s a good bet that if Seattle does land a winter sports franchise it will be a National Hockey League team.

Wally Walker, an investor in the proposed 20,000-seat Sodo arena, on Saturday said his group, ArenaCo, is talking to would-be hockey team owners.

"There have been a number of them. Until recently I would characterize them as none being very real. They were with what a former commissioner used to call tire kickers – people enamored with the idea of owning a team but who really don’t have the wherewithal," said Walker, a former Seattle SuperSonic player and front office executive.

powerstuck

Nordiques Hopes Lies
Jan 13, 2012
Town NHL hates !

snovalleyhockeyfan

May 22, 2008
North Bend, WA

Non-news story. Those in the know who are paying the closest attention to this aren't concerned, as this is a continuation of the existing league posture. Check back in about six months though and ask that question again.......

What Tommy posted though is newsworthy, and perhaps among the possible suitors Hansen and crew have talked to might be a certain crew from Arizona......?????

That story is behind a paywall FYI so I myself haven't seen the piece.

snovalleyhockeyfan

May 22, 2008
North Bend, WA
Is this for real ?

If it's the case, I feel ya Seattle hockey fans, neither we in Quebec nor you in Seattle are getting a team anytime soon.

It is, but Tommy is correct, this problem is provided a Key option is selected which is far from a sure thing even though it looks on its face now that it will be.....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad