Post-Game Talk: Season's over! See you at training camp! (List of GDTs from the past season are embedded in OP)

Samzilla

Prust & Dorsett are
Apr 2, 2011
If Benning comes back...

Just got a strong feeling that he'll be gone tomorrow.

Benning's already been announced as our rep at the draft lottery. Would be weird to do announce that and then let him go two days before the lottery.

Mr. Canucklehead

Kitimat Canuck
Dec 14, 2002
Kitimat, BC
The kids made this year exciting to watch (well, them and Markstrom). There's a definite core there to build around for a good, sustainable future. I just hope we don't manage to muck any of that up this off-season. Put a shock collar on Benning to avoid crap in free agency.

Priority Number 1 if I'm manager is convincing Eriksson to retire. If there was any doubt heading into this season that he's pretty much done, I think his play this year sealed it up. Even if you swapped his contract with Tyler Motte's, I think you look at his body of work and declare "I think we can upgrade here, your services are no longer needed".

ATypicalCanadian

Apr 30, 2015
Canada
Benning's already been announced as our rep at the draft lottery. Would be weird to do announce that and then let him go two days before the lottery.

We’ll just have to make do with a Scooby Doo style reveal where “Benning” pulls a mask off and we realize Steve Yzerman is here to save us and was just waiting for a dramatic reveal. :thumbu:

ATypicalCanadian

Apr 30, 2015
Canada
I looked up the stats of the latter and-- 2 points in 16 games? WTF?

He’s playing 4th line and second powerplay, so that has probably impacted him, but I really don’t want anything to do with him personally.

Botchford and I think another one or two reporters around the Canucks have mentioned hearing his name though, so that worries me.

tyhee

Feb 5, 2015
he is already the next Eriksson. Dude has fallen off big time and shouldn't get more than a 1 or 2 year deal.

Imo it would be silly for the Canucks to even consider signing him. The odds are heavily against a 30 year old physical forward whose play has fallen off a cliff bouncing back long enough to make a positive difference for the future of the Canucks.

PuckFather

Oct 14, 2014
If Benning is still here, I can only hope he doesn't lose his ****ing mind this offseason for free agents, in a vain attempt to make the playoffs and save his job.
Since when making the playoffs is a bad thing? How long do you think it's ok to tank? maybe a decade like the hapless Oils? Benning WILL BE here to your disappontment.

geebaan

7th round busted
Oct 27, 2012
Since when making the playoffs is a bad thing? How long do you think it's ok to tank? maybe a decade like the hapless Oils? Benning WILL BE here to your disappontment.

Why would you just “try to make the playoffs”? Why isn’t your goal to build a Stanley Cup winner? I don’t believe Benning can do that, hence my sadness at him controlling our offseason. I hope I’m wrong.

Pastor Of Muppetz

Oct 1, 2017
Why would you just “try to make the playoffs”? Why isn’t your goal to build a Stanley Cup winner? I don’t believe Benning can do that, hence my sadness at him controlling our offseason. I hope I’m wrong.
We would all like SC winner ,but one step at a time....make the playoffs first...You dont go from the bottom to instantaneous SC contender.

Reactions: PuckFather

ChilliBilly

Aug 22, 2007
chilliwacki
No way, I think he’s resigned.

ok a couple of things. There is a big difference between re-signed and resigned. For the love of god, learn the difference.

and I am one of the few who actually uses a picture of themself as there avatar. The gun was a lend, and its over 150 years old, worth keeping in a safe.

EpochLink

Canucks and Jets fan
Aug 1, 2006
Vancouver, BC
I'll be open to Tyler Myers but no to Wayne Simmonds...his trending Lucic/Eriksson territory.
This team needs some defensive stability, Tanev can't stay healthy and who knows what's up with Edler.

Also, I'm open to Schenn back for the bottom pairing.

PuckFather

Oct 14, 2014
Cause you don't suddenly jump from the bottom of the barrel to the top to win it all. You make the playoffs. You win a few, you lose a few, your players get invaluable experience, so step by step.

Rowlet

Sponsor
Oct 13, 2018
this was... a tough season to watch

I realize the team is still young and it's really hard to watch a team that isn't built right that could be so much better with a few tweaks, fully recognizing how hard it is to make trades in the NHL. Seeing the kids get better was great, seeing the vets get worse was not.

Oh well, another year gone, another high pick, at least this draft is pretty deep up until the 10-12 area so I doubt I'll be too disappointed unless we really go off the board here.

Thanks for another season everyone

As a side note, feel free to come join us in the Vancouver Titans Overwatch League thread, they went undefeated throughout the first of four 7 game stages and won the stage playoffs sweeping their first two opponents cementing themselves as the best team in the league. also their season runs to September, so there's something to watch until hockey comes back. If you're new to Overwatch come by or message me and I'll happily give you the rundown, the Titans play tomorrow, Apr 7 at 3:30 PM.

Scorvat

Mar 17, 2015
The team will make a push for the playoffs next season.

The team isn't boring.

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHAHAHAHAHA

unless benning pulls of the miracle and signs Panarin and Karlsson we gonna be in the gutters next year.

This team has no high profile forward prospect coming to save them next year (ala Petterson and Boeser) and no real prospects ( besides Hughes) nhl ready in the minors

They also got real lucky this year, it only took 90 points to make it in and they did really well in the crapshoot gimics, along with whats probably going to be a career year for markstrom

Arizona was practically dead for the whole year, McDavid is probably going to carry Coilers to atleast wild card contention next year (i mean they cant possibly not be competitve next year), Sharks are going to be the same as this year, Flames are probs going to around the same, Vegas is going to have Stone for a whole year, ducks have alot of intriguing prospects/ young players and have the arguably the best goalie in the league that might propel to be atleast a mid 80 point team, the Blackhawks have been playing at a playoff team pace since xmas and might add a high profile fa, the Avalanche are going to add Maker and probs one of Hughes and Kakko next year

This team is not as boring as the last couple years, but their is no way you can argue that the style of hockey they play is not boring. IT's boring period...

ErrantShepherd

Nostalgic despite the Bad
Dec 2, 2018
...Canada, eh?
This team is not as boring as the last couple years, but their is no way you can argue that the style of hockey they play is not boring. IT's boring period...

:huh::help:

So, the team isn't boring... but it's still boring?

I'm not gonna say that makes sense... but that really doesn't make sense.

Honestly, this is the most exciting the team has been in years since the AV era for me. We finally have some games that are actually worth watching, versus the crap when WD was in Charge, or the trainwreck of Torts' season.

For many of the games this season, aside from a few notable exceptions the team has been in the game. The players have been competitive and kept it to within 1 goal, or taken it to OT or the shootout. They haven't been doing that by playing the trap or another dull style of play either... we literally have had the best rookie in Canucks most of this season lighting it up for the majority of the season, and even when he went cold there's still been lots to watch and enjoy.

...but I guess maybe watching young players improve and other interesting storylines are boring?
:dunno:
(Btw, just calling stuff "boring" without further explanation/elucidation is actually boring and low effort)

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad