Post-Game Talk: Season's over! See you at training camp! (List of GDTs from the past season are embedded in OP)

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
Bad season.

Positives:

Pettersson's Calder worthy year, establishing himself as a 1C going forward.

Markstrom establishing himself as a starter.

Horvat's progression in solidifying himself as a big minute 2C faceoff machine.

Quinn Hughes looked decently electrifying in his short stint, but a very small sample size.

Gudbranson being shot out of a cannon and Pouliot being sat for a lot of the latter half of the season (which likely means he's a goner)

Negatives:

Failing to accumulate more draft picks for veteran players at the deadline/before the deadline. Picks will now be at a premium during the draft, which is when, AGAIN, Benning will try to acquire them and fail to do so.

Letting a young goalie get shelled and embarrassed because the GM was too stupid to sign a veteran in Leighton who was available in the AHL. Then, deciding to trade a pick for a goalie after the fact while still having Leighton available to sign. Terrible asset management and terrible handling of a young player.

Useless wins throughout the season that destroyed the Canucks' lottery chances and a real shot at Jack Hughes.

Team usually played better when it didn't matter and worse when it did. Not a good sign going forward.

Team is overall just boring to watch when the young guys aren't carrying the team on its back. Full of lifeless veterans who are shells of their former selves, and an overall pretty boring style of play.

Mismanagement of players from the coaching staff may have affected confidence levels of players such as Goldobin going forward, but far from the biggest negative this season.

Still a lack of direction from management. What is management trying to do? Are they trying to make the playoffs? Lots of mixed messages. Jim Benning recently stated he wants to bring in a top 6 forward and d-man through trade or free agency. Aren't the Canucks supposedly 'rebuilding'? Are they still 'retooling'? Are they gunning for the playoffs next season?

Lack of team identity. Lack of emotion and mutual teammate support. Only guys that really showed push back when young players have been bullied have been Luke Schenn and Roussel. What kind of team is this supposed to be?

Terrible PP. This was a problem all season and needs to be addressed. Being on the PP actually felt like it gave the Canucks less of a chance to score than being even strength.

Overplaying bad players. Granlund on PP2. Granlund on the PK. Granlund Granlund Granlund. Why is this guy getting so much ice time? He should be getting 8-10~ minutes MAX. He averaged 15 minutes a night this season.

AHL mismanagement. Not much else to say. Just stupid incompetence. Benning being 'too busy' to help the AHL team, etc.

Team defense has been atrocious.

I could go on but I think that mostly covers it...

Great post. It deserves to be reposted.

Pastor Of Muppetz

Oct 1, 2017
Bad season.

Positives:

Pettersson's Calder worthy year, establishing himself as a 1C going forward.

Markstrom establishing himself as a starter.

Horvat's progression in solidifying himself as a big minute 2C faceoff machine.

Quinn Hughes looked decently electrifying in his short stint, but a very small sample size.

Gudbranson being shot out of a cannon and Pouliot being sat for a lot of the latter half of the season (which likely means he's a goner)

Negatives:

Failing to accumulate more draft picks for veteran players at the deadline/before the deadline. Picks will now be at a premium during the draft, which is when, AGAIN, Benning will try to acquire them and fail to do so.

Letting a young goalie get shelled and embarrassed because the GM was too stupid to sign a veteran in Leighton who was available in the AHL. Then, deciding to trade a pick for a goalie after the fact while still having Leighton available to sign. Terrible asset management and terrible handling of a young player.

Useless wins throughout the season that destroyed the Canucks' lottery chances and a real shot at Jack Hughes.

Team usually played better when it didn't matter and worse when it did. Not a good sign going forward.

Team is overall just boring to watch when the young guys aren't carrying the team on its back. Full of lifeless veterans who are shells of their former selves, and an overall pretty boring style of play.

Mismanagement of players from the coaching staff may have affected confidence levels of players such as Goldobin going forward, but far from the biggest negative this season.

Still a lack of direction from management. What is management trying to do? Are they trying to make the playoffs? Lots of mixed messages. Jim Benning recently stated he wants to bring in a top 6 forward and d-man through trade or free agency. Aren't the Canucks supposedly 'rebuilding'? Are they still 'retooling'? Are they gunning for the playoffs next season?

Lack of team identity. Lack of emotion and mutual teammate support. Only guys that really showed push back when young players have been bullied have been Luke Schenn and Roussel. What kind of team is this supposed to be?

Terrible PP. This was a problem all season and needs to be addressed. Being on the PP actually felt like it gave the Canucks less of a chance to score than being even strength.

Overplaying bad players. Granlund on PP2. Granlund on the PK. Granlund Granlund Granlund. Why is this guy getting so much ice time? He should be getting 8-10~ minutes MAX. He averaged 15 minutes a night this season.

AHL mismanagement. Not much else to say. Just stupid incompetence. Benning being 'too busy' to help the AHL team, etc.

Team defense has been atrocious.

I could go on but I think that mostly covers it...
Adding in the positives of Thatcher Demko graduating to the NHL ,and Boeser rounding into form after that horrific injury..I would say the positives outweigh the negatives,

Useless wins..?..Are you suggesting the young players would have been better off consecutively losing night after night?...That becomes acceptable after a while, and its tough to get out of...I guess if you've been on Team Tank the whole season, any wins would be useless and unwelcome.

Having Dipietro being shelled for that one game wasn't the greatest..It was one game..the kid will get over it.

The team will make a push for the playoffs next season.

The team isn't boring.

The coaching staff have ruined Goldys confidence level.?..okey dokey.

Last edited:

geebaan

7th round busted
Oct 27, 2012
Adding in the positives of Thatcher Demko graduating to the NHL ,and Boeser rounding into form after that horrific injury..I would say the positives outweigh the negatives,

Useless wins..?..Are you suggesting the young players would have been better off consecutively losing night after night?...That becomes acceptable after a while, and its tough to get out of...I guess if you've been on Team Tank the whole season, any wins would be useless and unwelcome.

Having Dipietro being shelled for that one game wasn't the greatest..It was one game..the kid will get over it.

The team isn't boring.

The coaching staff have ruined Goldy confidence level.?..okey dokey.

Lets wait and see before such a bold prediction. What if Markstrom regresses? Pettersson does? Injuries? Unless we get a crap ton more depth pretty much everything has to break right.

Eddy Punch Clock

Jack Adams 2028
Jun 13, 2007
Chillbillyville
See you at training camp? You're not getting rid of us that easy Zombo. We got the draft lottery, the draft, Benning's firing, hiring a new GM, Free agency.....the Playoffs!

We ain't goin' no wheres no time soon.

Cupless44

Jun 25, 2014

The team isn't boring.

The coaching staff have ruined Goldys confidence level.?..okey dokey.

Um yeah Green did nothing to help Goldy confidence. Do all the useless veterans like Eriksson sit the rest of the game if they make a mistake or or are soft on a puck?

Reactions: pomorick

M2Beezy

Objective and Neutral Hockey Commentator
May 25, 2014
Bennings focus in the OFFSEASON needs to be:

1 Dont trade up, just pick the BPA with 1st round pick
2 Try in get out of the Eriksson contract, or demote him to the AHL
3 Trade/wave/get rid of crap: Granlund, Pouliot, Schaller, Beagle, Sutter, Etc
4 Try in get more picks in top half of draft but unfortunately the crap from point 3 have negative value so will be tough to do

Cupless44

Jun 25, 2014
Please for the love of god let that be the last time we see Markus Granlund in a Canucks uniform.

If Benning comes back with Granlund and some of these other really poor veterans it will show the organization is indeed totally incompetent from Ownership on down

Reactions: pomorick

Pastor Of Muppetz

Oct 1, 2017
Um yeah Green did nothing to help Goldy confidence. Do all the useless veterans like Eriksson sit the rest of the game if they make a mistake or or are soft on a puck?
Not going to deny that LE is playing anywhere near to what his contract demands...He does play on the PK,chips in defensively..and can play up and down the lineup.

If Goldys not scoring (which he has not been doing),he's just a liability.

JanBulisPiggyBack

Dec 31, 2011
Season was interesting, was better than previous years in that we have some players to get excited for.

EP, BB, QH, BH and JM all make me optimistic for this teams direction, which presents the biggest concern going forward in the complete lack of vision and direction this current management has displayed.

I’m encouraged by Demko but we need another year of him as backup to really know what we got

Honorable mentions go to Leivo and Pearson for being good additions at zero cost, better than all our free agents minus Roussel.

I’d look to move Markstrom, Virtanen, Hutton and dare I say..... Horvat ( if the return is really good and we landed the top two picks by winning the lottery and not trading up )

Beagle, Sutter, Granlund, Pouliot all gone or not brought back

Gaudette needs an strong off season if he wants to play in the NHL, he didn’t show me enough to slot him in the third line spot.

I’d make plays for Panarin and Karlsson but wouldn’t throw money at anybody else

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad