Season Suspended - Hockey Discussion thread

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
I thought it would be nice to have a general thread that discusses exclusively hockey....no virus talk in here please.
Reports have the NHL starting up a mini TC in mud May and then resuming from there. I thought that it might be interesting to consider just how good this team is.

In terms of the season so far I kind of like what the Cult of Hockey did. They looked at how this teams PP stacked up historically.

Here is their discussion.....

Amazing to think that this years team has the best Power Play in the history of the team.
Quite an amazing accomplishment. Helps to have 2 of the best players in the world on the PP.
Players who havent even hit their prime yet. This PP could be deadly for years to come.

Something else I would like to acknowledge is that this years version of the Oilers has the best depth at D since the 2006 SCF team.
Klefbom, Larsson, Nurse, Bear, Jones, Russell, Benning, Green.
Thats a pretty deep top 7.

Top 6 looks much better than it dod to start the season.
Drai, RNH and Yamamoto is a great line. IMO they should put Kassian on McDavids line and then rotate out players like Ennis and Neal.
Improved bottom 6 play from players like Sheahan, Archibald and Nygard and additions like Athanasiou should help as well.

The wildcard is goaltending. If both Smith and Koskinen can maintain what they have done so far this team has some potential for a long run IMO.

Rusoilers

Дмитрий Самуроков 38
Oct 9, 2019
Siberia
The break could be a good thing for the oilers. They have been slipping recently. We will back in the playoffs but public health is most important.

You give a good summary. I would also add to resign Sheahan. Great penalty killer.

What contract would you offer anthansiou or however you spell it? Would you go longer term?

Also the power play is amazing, but it's too bad the refs never seem to give us any calls recently. Connor is constantly slashed and hooked every game. The refs sometimes ruin the game for me by choosing what to call instead of following the rulebook.

Last edited:

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
Hard to have the discussion entirely without the situation. For instance my take is that Canada will be ready before the US, which then means that the NHL won't be able to restart. I'm convinced that it is undoable due to the US prevalence of the unmentioned that has shutdown the NHL season.

So a made for Canada solution is to abscond with the Lord Stanley (donated to Canada) cup and have a mini Canada tourney and award it to a Canadian club. I'm half joking but would actually like this if Calgary and Toronto were somewhow disqualified from competing. Not that they would be much threat...hell, let them in..

My format results in the first Canadian SC champ since 93 and the Oilers as favorites. I win! We all win!;)

Just remove the asterisk on the cup later.

The NHL stole the cup, we're stealing it back...(Bono)

Reactions: Oilhawks

KeithIsActuallyBad

You thrust your pelvis, huh!
Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
I'm pretty convinced the season is done like dinner. Unless there's a drastic turnaround nothing is going to change. It's a shame but there's no feasible end in sight.

ohheyhemsky

Regehr DooDoo
Nov 1, 2010
DT Cowtown
The season is done, but who gives a shit about the season?

If there isn't some sort of play-offs after this season, in which this rag tag group fought for at least second place here....

It's just a giant f*** you to us.

Reactions: Aerchon

FanOfSadTeam

Dec 12, 2010
Oh well at least we have some good memories :) + No further injuries suffered. Players can properly recover. This season was a bonus anyways for this team. Like Holland said early on, it's all about next season. We'll have cap room to actually put our best foot forward.

It really sucks more for the contenders, like Boston and the Lightning, who are closer to their Cup window closing. And the teams that suddenly started surging for a wildcard spot.

Reactions: Oilhawks

5 Mins 4 Ftg

Life is better with no expectations.
Sponsor
Apr 3, 2016
Edmonton
Have written off hockey since they postponed the season. Wont be till mid July things settle down to anything resembling normal. No season ahead. Dont particularly care about hockey right now tbh.

But that said, they will allow compliance buyouts as the cap is going to crater. They will be lucky to maintain this years cap, but there will probably be a 5-10% reduction with no playoffs. So what would that mean? Players take a similar hit for 1 season and reduce their salaries by the same amount? Increase escrow to a massive number? Allow teams several compliance buyouts with no penalty or carrying charge?

2020-21 is going to be a nutty year with respect to salary cap and it will go forward. There is no way companies and people will be paying the outrageous prices for seasons tickets after a worldwide meltdown of the global economy. Season tickets could plummet in many markets. I think we are going to be seeing a massive reset of the hockey salary and cap landscape and possibly even sport in general.

tardigrade81

Jun 12, 2019
Saskatchewan
I thought it would be nice to have a general thread that discusses exclusively hockey....no virus talk in here please.
Reports have the NHL starting up a mini TC in mud May and then resuming from there. I thought that it might be interesting to consider just how good this team is.

In terms of the season so far I kind of like what the Cult of Hockey did. They looked at how this teams PP stacked up historically.

Here is their discussion.....

Amazing to think that this years team has the best Power Play in the history of the team.
Quite an amazing accomplishment. Helps to have 2 of the best players in the world on the PP.
Players who havent even hit their prime yet. This PP could be deadly for years to come.

Something else I would like to acknowledge is that this years version of the Oilers has the best depth at D since the 2006 SCF team.
Klefbom, Larsson, Nurse, Bear, Jones, Russell, Benning, Green.
Thats a pretty deep top 7.

Top 6 looks much better than it dod to start the season.
Drai, RNH and Yamamoto is a great line. IMO they should put Kassian on McDavids line and then rotate out players like Ennis and Neal.
Improved bottom 6 play from players like Sheahan, Archibald and Nygard and additions like Athanasiou should help as well.

The wildcard is goaltending. If both Smith and Koskinen can maintain what they have done so far this team has some potential for a long run IMO.

Agreed. This team has been fun to watch all season long! The power play has been exciting, Mcdavid, Draisaitl etc have been a joy to watch. The goaltending as of late has been fantastic. I really wonder how the playoffs will shape up. There is some tough teams in Vegas, Blues, Avs but I think this Oiler team can have a nice run.

5 Mins 4 Ftg

Sponsor
Apr 3, 2016
Edmonton
Agreed. This team has been fun to watch all season long! The power play has been exciting, Mcdavid, Draisaitl etc have been a joy to watch. The goaltending as of late has been fantastic. I really wonder how the playoffs will shape up. There is some tough teams in Vegas, Blues, Avs but I think this Oiler team can have a nice run.

All I wanted this year was to be playing meaningful games in March. We accomplished that and much more. Most of the pundits had us in 6th or 7th place in our division. We "finished" 2nd. A fun season and we look to only get better into next year!

Reactions: tardigrade81

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004

It really has.
Its a shame to have the season interrupted like this. We really have no idea what this is going to look like moving forward but until they announce that it is cancelled outright then I dont see the harm in appreciating what we did see so far.
Glad you feel the same way. :D

The interesting thing (assuming the season and playoffs continue at some point) is that virtually every team will have full rosters.

5 Mins 4 Ftg

Sponsor
Apr 3, 2016
Edmonton
Reactions: guymez

ohheyhemsky

Regehr DooDoo
Nov 1, 2010
DT Cowtown

tardigrade81

Jun 12, 2019
Saskatchewan
All I wanted this year was to be playing meaningful games in March. We accomplished that and much more. Most of the pundits had us in 6th or 7th place in our division. We "finished" 2nd. A fun season and we look to only get better into next year!
Exactly! Never expected a cup or even playoffs this year. Team gave us a season to remember !

tardigrade81

Jun 12, 2019
Saskatchewan
It really has.
Its a shame to have the season interrupted like this. We really have no idea what this is going to look like moving forward but until they announce that it is cancelled outright then I dont see the harm in appreciating what we did see so far.
Glad you feel the same way. :D

The interesting thing (assuming the season and playoffs continue at some point) is that virtually every team will have full rosters.
Definitely! Oilers have given us some fun games this year too. Last game we played against Calgary was fantastic. They all have been against Calgary this year actually. But always better when we win. A playoff series against the flames this year would have stole the show in my opinion. Would have been nasty, physical, and competitive.

CantHaveTkachev

Legends
Nov 30, 2004
St. OILbert, AB
That would be awesome. Bettman sounds like he wants 2020-21 to be "normal" which would preclude starting the season in November. It will all boil down to finances I assume, in which scenario can they deliver the most revenue and try to keep it legitimate and not a gimmick.
Lebrun made a good point today about how American teams hate playing in October because a lot of their fans are pre-occupied with the MLB playoffs, the NFL season and the start of the NBA season
starting in November (and maybe ending in mid April, scraping the "bye" week) may be a blessing for a lot of American teams

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
Definitely! Oilers have given us some fun games this year too. Last game we played against Calgary was fantastic. They all have been against Calgary this year actually. But always better when we win. A playoff series against the flames this year would have stole the show in my opinion. Would have been nasty, physical, and competitive.

Could still happen. :crossfing

5 Mins 4 Ftg

Sponsor
Apr 3, 2016
Edmonton
That works for me. Actually I cant imagine anyone not being on board with this. :nod:

I just paid for the first two rounds of the playoffs already and I am supposed to be in Europe in September....I vote NO to playoffs in September!!!
Seriously if it were to come to that I would probably cancel the trip and watch the playoffs.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad