Speculation: Season starts January 13th, 2021

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
Better than not playing at all. I'm a bit surprised that they don't have a seven team AHL division in Canada this year though. Have all the Canadian teams bring their AHL teams home.... If they end up with significant injury issues, they won't be able to quickly call anybody up, though a 30 player NHL taxi-squad, does address that to some degree.

The 3 Western Canadian teams Van, Edmonton and Calgary have their AHL teams in the USA so they have no plans to bring them up to Canada to play. That is the reason but will carry players on the Taxi squad.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
Like I said yesterday with the good news, now covid is the issue.

Is the WJC now cancelled or does the bubble get an exemption as all rinks closed until at least January 13 in Alberta.

Because of the closed environment (bubble) the WJC is permitted to continue under tight covid rules and restrictions.

Calgary and Edmonton of the NHL that is another issue and might need to play outdoors rinks are permitted as those are still open with Covid protocols and limits.

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
The 3 Western Canadian teams Van, Edmonton and Calgary have their AHL teams in the USA so they have no plans to bring them up to Canada to play. That is the reason but will carry players on the Taxi squad.

I appreciate that, I'm just surprised that they've kept those teams in the USA this year, when they can't effectively use those AHL players, if necessary.

Because of the closed environment (bubble) the WJC is permitted to continue under tight covid rules and restrictions.

Calgary and Edmonton of the NHL that is another issue and might need to play outdoors rinks are permitted as those are still open with Covid protocols and limits.

Either outdoors, or in Cities where there isn't a Covid lockdown. With no fans currently, it doesn't matter where you actually play your games.

Buds17

Nov 29, 2015
So this is what they knew that we didn’t. Call all the signings depth all they wanted, it didn’t make sense until you see they are going to expand rosters to this extent.

lets go! I’m ready ;)

That extra "depth" will come in handy in the (likely) event of a compressed schedule and back-to-backs. No need to fret much about who isn't in the lineup for any given game.

TMLeafer

Rest in Peace Johnny Bower
Mar 23, 2008
Hockey Mecca, ON
I'm just thinking how many games Ovechkin has lost in his pursuit of the goals record. Lockouts, 2 shortened covid seasons.

Might even cost us an opportunity to see a Matthews 50 goal season (again).

Glad nonetheless that hockey is on the horizon.

Reactions: Menzinger

JT AM da real deal

Oct 4, 2018
It appears as though there were absolutely no changes made to the previous agreement. So no need for extra deferral, or a trade off.

Yes, an increase CAP was discussed, but dropped... From what Friedman said on the podcast, it was the owners who proposed it, and players turned the package down. I'd guess, there will be increased taxi squads, practising and travelling with the team, that won't be counted against the cap, with more liberal allowances for moving people on, and off the roster, to the taxi squads. But, we'll see.
Hearing they are working on da size of taxi squad now and how players move up/down from minors and Euro leagues too ... it was da owners who killed da CAP increase ... probably lots of numbers thrown around but players were willing to talk of slightly more deferred revenue if CAP went up per team and owners agreed to Olympic participation ... it was a firm no from owners ... I thought players were firm hard against any changes to CBA but owners did not like da trade off so it died ... bottom line only thing that was FIRM on players side was NO increase in escrow from 20% next season

Gabriel426

Jun 30, 2015
The 56 games seems odd to me... just go with 48, play six teams, 8 times each. That's enough to determine playoffs, and additional games are more an expense, than a revenue generator at this point. But what do I know?
One reason is players only get paid in the regular season. Less regular season games, less paycheque for them.

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
One reason is players only get paid in the regular season. Less regular season games, less paycheque for them.

No, I don't think so. They get paid a salary for the season. I'm not aware of any players, who have a number of games bonus, but there could be some. It doesn't matter how many games there are... same paycheck... I mean you are right about only paid for the season, but.... it doesn't matter if it's 48, 56 or 84 games... they get paid the same.

Reactions: Guy Boucher

Guy Boucher

Oct 22, 2008
No, I don't think so. They get paid a salary for the season. I'm not aware of any players, who have a number of games bonus, but there could be some. It doesn't matter how many games there are... same paycheck... I mean you are right about only paid for the season, but.... it doesn't matter if it's 48, 56 or 84 games... they get paid the same.

Yes they get paid the same regardless. But there are TV/ad contracts that stipulate a certain number of games, so I'm guessing 52-56 allows them to make sure they fulfill most of those contracts.

Golden_Jet

Sep 21, 2005
Friedman playoffs depend on who wins Canadian division.
Eg Vancouver wins play winner of pacific division
Habs win plays winner of the Rangers division
etc

Makes sense for travel on conference final
And sets up a west vs east I guess

Last edited:

Gabriel426

Jun 30, 2015
Quite interesting that hosts for a few radio hosts in TSN Vancouver, are all giving credits to the Leafs as being the top dog in the Canadian Division.
Guess Leafs at least on paper is pretty darn good.

LeafalCrusader

Oct 3, 2013
Winnipeg
etc

What if the Jets win lol?

The CyNick

Freedom of Speech!
Sep 17, 2009
Hearing they are working on da size of taxi squad now and how players move up/down from minors and Euro leagues too ... it was da owners who killed da CAP increase ... probably lots of numbers thrown around but players were willing to talk of slightly more deferred revenue if CAP went up per team and owners agreed to Olympic participation ... it was a firm no from owners ... I thought players were firm hard against any changes to CBA but owners did not like da trade off so it died ... bottom line only thing that was FIRM on players side was NO increase in escrow from 20% next season

The Saskatchewan Cap for the next decade.

Reactions: JT AM da real deal

The CyNick

Freedom of Speech!
Sep 17, 2009
Quite interesting that hosts for a few radio hosts in TSN Vancouver, are all giving credits to the Leafs as being the top dog in the Canadian Division.
Guess Leafs at least on paper is pretty darn good.

It's a division with no elite teams. So it's kind of being the tallest midget situation.

Who knows what will happen. But I could see the Leafs winning the division, could also see them on the outside looking in. Every team in that division will be competitive, even Ottawa.

The CyNick

Freedom of Speech!
Sep 17, 2009
etc

I would just do a draw once you get to the final four teams. Would give the NHL a mini event, they like those.

The CyNick

Freedom of Speech!
Sep 17, 2009

I know they never will, but they really should keep these divisions.

Aside from travel for the Canadian teams, I see no downside. It's better for the TV partners. NBC would focus on the North East division and a little on the Central. Rogers obviously on the Canadian division. Rogers is guaranteed three all Canadian playoff series plus one more involving a Canadian team. Sexy matchups for NBC in the north east division.

Gabriel426

Jun 30, 2015
It's a division with no elite teams. So it's kind of being the tallest midget situation.

Who knows what will happen. But I could see the Leafs winning the division, could also see them on the outside looking in. Every team in that division will be competitive, even Ottawa.
Best of the worst is still better than worst of the worst.
Beside, for sports radio hosts in Vancouver to admit that is definitely something new.

I think the Leafs have less questions than the other teams in the Canadian division. On top of that, none of the other teams play a tight checking defensive games, all 7 Canadian teams play pretty much the same way.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad