Life is better with no expectations.
Sponsor
Apr 3, 2016
Edmonton
Reactions: BlackDogg

Lay Z Boy GM

Sep 8, 2010
Vancouver
This leadership group has gone through 4 coaches since 2016.
McLellan coached here for 3 of those years from 2016 - 2019 (the early years of rebuilding this team) so the reality is that since this team 'matured' they have been burning through coaches.
To be fair these rosters are always flawed for these coaches, sometimes really massive holes.

And I actually have liked Woodcroft a lot until recently. Maybe he rightfully expected at least some change to the D and G and is grasping at straws now. I’d rather change the GM before firing Woodcroft.

Jackson has some tough choices. For me, Holland is finished at the end of the season if not earlier if you find the ideal GM.

I’d also revamp the goaltending department, get a whole team of goaltending scouts and coaches and do something like Florida. It’s been a weakness forever, do something smart about it. Spoil and overpay a talented coach, these guys seem to tend to settle down in some pretty nice markets, so treat them like gold.

Holland should have been let go after the playoffs. The areas of weakness were obvious and he didn’t change a thing. We need a new GM who isn’t afraid to trade players who were drafted or signed by Holland.

We can’t beat a healthy Colorado or Vegas in the playoffs, we won’t win a Cup without some turnover on the roster. The window with McDrai is closing, at the end of the season Leon might say he’s not going to re-sign, he said it himself it’s Cup or bust. We have to be way better and it can’t wait until the off season, waiting until the deadline is Tambellini level patience too imo.

Anarchism

John Henry
May 23, 2019
northern alberta
Your thread title could be prophetic.

We play 6 games in the next 2 weeks. Could be 1-9-1 by the time he comes back.

But it’s the Oilers. 1-2 weeks means 1-2 months as @Tobias Kahun said in the pinned injury thread.
If we go the entire 6 games without McDavid i would gamble we win at least one game. lol.
Further we might get a real good idea of who has to go and see some guys that really fit the new system.
Oppurtunity through the roof.

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
To be fair these rosters are always flawed for these coaches, sometimes really massive holes.

And I actually have liked Woodcroft a lot until recently. Maybe he rightfully expected at least some change to the D and G and is grasping at straws now. I’d rather change the GM before firing Woodcroft.

Jackson has some tough choices. For me, Holland is finished at the end of the season if not earlier if you find the ideal GM.

I’d also revamp the goaltending department, get a whole team of goaltending scouts and coaches and do something like Florida. It’s been a weakness forever, do something smart about it. Spoil and overpay a talented coach, these guys seem to tend to settle down in some pretty nice markets, so treat them like gold.

Holland should have been let go after the playoffs. The areas of weakness were obvious and he didn’t change a thing. We need a new GM who isn’t afraid to trade players who were drafted or signed by Holland.

We can’t beat a healthy Colorado or Vegas in the playoffs, we won’t win a Cup without some turnover on the roster. The window with McDrai is closing, at the end of the season Leon might say he’s not going to re-sign, he said it himself it’s Cup or bust. We have to be way better and it can’t wait until the off season, waiting until the deadline is Tambellini level patience too imo.
The rosters were flawed for sure but there are issues around the fragility of this leadership group.
I mean why is it that a team with considerably less talent than the Oilers can play a system that makes them hard to play against and this team cant?
Where does the resistance to adopt a more defensive approach lie?
What is the reason for the inability to start a season strong after so much hot air from the leadership group about starting off strong?
Why is this team still so mentally fragile? They are not a young team anymore.

It reminds of the team response to the slash on Drai against Vegas.
There was virtually no response. The team provided little to no resistance after that slash and just wimpered out of the playoffs.
Season done. The Oilers were an easy out for Veags after that.
There are issues with this team that go beyond holes in the roster.

Reactions: K1984 and Oilhawks

BlackDogg

There is nothing to do in Mockingbird Heights
Oct 3, 2015
They can play 1 game short handed and then make an emergency call up. Woodsy only plays 9 forwards 3/4 of the time anyways. No big deal.

11-6

Anyone wanna buy 2 tickets lower bowl center ice halfway down?
Seriously - glad I'm not planning on a long trip to go to that game. This has happened to me before with McDavid, when he got collar bone injured the game before the Pens game at Rogers.

And whatever this is - must have been bothering him prior to even preseason. He has not been his usual speedy self. Maybe Lauren gave him a good punch to the side over wedding planning. :oops:

Reactions: 5 Mins 4 Ftg

The Panther

Mar 25, 2014
Tokyo, Japan
I hate to be the voice of reason, but...

-- There are 77 games left. 154 points are still on the table.
-- They've only "lost" one of the past three games, technically.
-- None of Calgary, Vancouver, or L.A. are looking (to me anyway) to be anything special this season, probably not Seattle either. Playoff spots are still ripe for the taking.
-- Campbell has (1st period of game one aside) been mostly good so far; Skinner was great (minus one huge boner) last night, and he was mostly great all of last season. When the goalie lets in only two (one at ES), and our club can only score 2 goals on home ice, we really shouldn't be blaming the goalie. (Although that was a huge boner by Skinner.)
-- The Oilers were the highest-scoring team in the League last year, and still have all the same core guys (and the PP has been fine).
-- Every season since 2019-20, they've made the playoffs, and in every one of those four seasons the Oilers have had major mid-season (usually Dec.-Jan.) dips where they play much worse than they are playing now (game one vs. Van aside).
-- They started last season 2-3-0, which is only 1 point less than now after five games. And they made the playoffs with room to spare.

I actually kind of like the fact that everyone's losing their heads and writing the team off after five games. This is a much better way to go about creeping up on success than by having huge expectations and Cup predictions in October / November (as Leafs' fans have been doing every year since time immemorial).

The next game in Minny is bound to be hard for them, but after that the schedule starts looking a lot better, with better match-ups for them.

They're going to be fine.

Ritchie Valens

Sep 24, 2007
What is this f***ery of a schedule. Nashville & Philly away games, Winnipeg at home, Minnesota away. Made much more sense for last night's game to be in Minny then finish up in Winnipeg. Stupid league

Reactions: Drivesaitl

foshizzle

Feb 1, 2007
Haven’t all of these guys played zone before? I thought Woody was the oddball using man on man. Just seems weird to me that they can’t learn a system they should be familiar with, maybe Manson is just a bad defensive coach at this level?
I think Manson is a horrendous coach at this level personally, but you’re right- zone defense shouldn’t be a big deal

Reactions: Sheikyerbouti

KCC

Aug 15, 2007
This season is starting to remind me of the dark years we had to endure for so long before McDavid came along. lol. Hopefully this team can get out of this and persevere with McDavid out. And it starts against Minni.

-- None of Calgary, Vancouver, or L.A. are looking (to me anyway) to be anything special this season, probably not Seattle either. Playoff spots are still ripe for the taking.
-- Campbell has (1st period of game one aside) been mostly good so far; Skinner was great (minus one huge boner) last night, and he was mostly great all of last season. When the goalie lets in only two (one at ES), and our club can only score 2 goals on home ice, we really shouldn't be blaming the goalie. (Although that was a huge boner by Skinner.)
-- The Oilers were the highest-scoring team in the League last year, and still have all the same core guys (and the PP has been fine).
-- Every season since 2019-20, they've made the playoffs, and in every one of those four seasons the Oilers have had major mid-season (usually Dec.-Jan.) dips where they play much worse than they are playing now (game one vs. Van aside).
-- They started last season 2-3-0, which is only 1 point less than now after five games. And they made the playoffs with room to spare.

I actually kind of like the fact that everyone's losing their heads and writing the team off after five games. This is a much better way to go about creeping up on success than by having huge expectations and Cup predictions in October / November (as Leafs' fans have been doing every year since time immemorial).

The next game in Minny is bound to be hard for them, but after that the schedule starts looking a lot better, with better match-ups for them.

The difference is McDavid and Drai have been average, they are getting no bottom 6 scoring, players like Kane and Brown have been awful, McDavid is now out for 1-2 weeks and they still haven't even scored a goal in the third period of games yet. And let's not forget the untimely turnovers costing this team. Even if they only give up 2 turnovers in a game it's when they are happening. The team is an absolute mess right now. But it's early. We will see where they are at in a few months.

Last edited:

Sheikyerbouti

ShakeyerMcBooty
Nov 4, 2006
Van isle
I think Manson is a horrendous coach at this level personally, but you’re right- zone defense shouldn’t be a big deal

Exactly, a zone is not causing players to make errors in fundamentals

We had Hitchcock, Tippet and McClelland. Adherence to systems is the systemic issue lol.

Chips

Aug 19, 2015
Mike Smith, an actual leader who wouldn't mind getting in players faces when they were stinking
a red-ass that fired up the team

Jack Campbell walks his cat FFS
Stu Skinner and his zen approach don't fire up the boys
What’s wrong with walking your cat? Their the lions of the couch

popo

Aug 9, 2005

Flames also started last season 5-1. Thought they were genius with their moves....
Then the Oilers beat them in a rematch to start them on a 7 game losing streatk.
So I agree - season is far from lost for us; early results can be misleading.

Reactions: Oilhawks

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
Ultimately that red hot team to end last season is the same as this one.

Eventually, what a team is like on paper matters. The talent on the Oilers will show through.

Heck maybe some time without McDavid will do some good for the team. Maybe an extra loss or two but we will find our wins down the line

I'm a bit bummed that probably won't win the division though. We could use a simpler path in the playoffs

McShogun99

Aug 30, 2009
Edmonton
This season is starting to remind me of the dark years we had to endure for so long before McDavid came along. lol. Hopefully this team can get out of this and persevere with McDavid out. And it starts against Minni.

The difference is McDavid and Drai have been average, they are getting no bottom 6 scoring, players like Kane and Brown have been awful, McDavid is now out for 1-2 weeks and they still haven't even scored a goal in the third period of games yet. And let's not forget the untimely turnovers costing this team. Even if they only give up 2 turnovers in a game it's when they are happening. The team is an absolute mess right now. But it's early. We will see where they are at in a few months.
Points wise, Draisaitl is right where he normally is pacing at 123 points, Mcdavid is slightly off pacing at 110 points. To me, Mcdavid has seemed off these first 6 games so maybe this was a lingering injury and whatever happened against Winnipeg really tweaked it.

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
The player I am going to be focusing on for the next week or so is Evander Kane.
He essentially went public about his ice time during the intermission in the game against the Jets.
Now with an extra 20+ minutes available each game he will be getting more minutes and he needs to be much better than he has been so far.
Time for Kane to put up or shut up.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad