Post-Game Talk: Season high win streak ended; Habs lose 4-0 to LA.

OldCraig71

Feb 2, 2009
No one cares
Just saw in another post that Pacioretty has only scored 6 goals in 34 games since DD was traded. Not sure if accurate but that's some awful numbers for the Habs best goal scorer and captain. I really hope the Habs trade this guy before they do something stupid and sign him longterm for 7+ million.
Great, trade him to NY and reunite him with his buddy.

Reactions: Runner77

Giacomo

Sep 26, 2017
I don't see the point of giving away assets for a rental. As it stands right now this team is a lottery team. JT might change the team for the better but I don't think this organization has the assets to acquire him nor do I think he'll resign with this team.
Before you make a deal you have to have agreements in place to sign a contract with the team you are going to. Forget renting

Reactions: Pickles

Captain Mountain

Formerly Captain Wolverine
Jun 6, 2010
Not getting the same read as you are on why they're losing to western teams but I'll gladly stand corrected if I'm wrong. I don't believe in excessively focusing on this aspect but there is something to be said for having an optimized asset mix.

Adding more premium talent (speed and high hockey IQ) is always a good thing and you can never have enough of it, I concur.

Problem as you well know is how to find that talent if you're not drafting it with an early pick. The teams you mentioned (Trana and Pittsburgh) are getting extremely high mileage from the early pick selections they enjoyed. It's one way to get there. Is there another without jeopardizing several seasons? I can't see one.

To clarify, I'm not saying Montreal is fine in the grit/size category, I'm just saying that it isn't the most pressing concern. Plenty of WC teams succeed with less size against others in their conference. The same is true of other EC teams, like Tampa.

And while you probably aren't going to find elite talent without top picks, it doesn't mean that you can't do it. Toronto found Bozak and Zaitsev as undrafted free agents and made favourable trades for JVR and Gardiner. Matthews is THE piece and Nylander, Marner and Kadri play massive roles, but a lot of the other pieces are the result of late picks, savvy trades, creative scouting and good development.

Tampa's two most important players were high picks and Sergachev was only acquired with Drouin, but the core is mostly savvy scouting and development. Johnson was undrafted, Palat was a 7th round pick, Kucherov was a late 2nd and Stralman was a UFA. Killorn and Point were 3rd rounders, Namestiknov was a late 1st and Vasilevsky went 19th.

You don't need to build your entire team through the draft. You need to draft and develop well, make smart UFA signings, make good trades and leave no stone unturned when augmenting organizational depth.

Montreal has young pieces to build around. Drouin has been far from perfect at center, but if the team doesn't screw with him the way they did Galchenyuk, he can probably be a decent 1a/1b center. He's been very good at creating scoring chances. Galchenyuk can still be either a good trade asset, or if moved to center, another potentially strong offensive center. Gallagher is still elite at generating chances and possession and is both youngish and cheap. Lehkonen has serious upside. Hudon looks like he can be a decent middle-6 winger. Danault is probably a capable bottom-6 center. They also have other vets that they can keep to help shepherd a rebuild.

They also have far more in the way of trade assets than most bottom feeders if they choose to tank. And the team can probably get a few good pieces in this draft if they tank properly. But the front office HAS to get better at player evaluation and pick a direction. The CHaracter vision doesn't work and the front office's inability to understand analytics will forever hold them back when making trades.

The NHL is a youth league. With the proper pieces in place, it does not take long to rebound. But they need to be in place.

Reactions: Amerika

Pacciosoftie

Curved Dach
Oct 26, 2017
Trade him ASAP

he will fetch good value. He is the perfect player to trade, he can go pout on another team.
Max would probably do much better on a another team.

Exactly. He’s a seconday piece who’s only asset is floating and waiting for someone to pass to him in a prime scoring area. Trade him to a team with a playmaking center with no shooting ability and he’ll thrive.

sheed36

Jan 8, 2005
No Man's Land
I just hope he doesn’t get ruined like all of our other forwards. However little skills and creativity they had has been replaced by moar grinding and shoot da puck.

The thing that really irks me is that the Habs just won't play Galchenyuk at center where he produced his best offensive numbers because he isn't deemed good enough defensively. If the Habs were an offensive team who could score goals like the Leafs I could see not playing him there.

Problem is the Habs just cannot score goals and because the GM decided that Galchenyuk would play on the wing from now on they won't even consider trying Galchenyuk back at center anymore.

It makes absolutely zero sense to not AT LEAST give Galchenyuk a legit chance back at center where he has shown he can produce offense for a team who as scored just 18 goals in 10 games. It's madness watching how the Habs are still handling this player who I had very high hopes for.

Peanut

Alzner is SOLID
Oct 28, 2015
So Kings on there 4th game of there 6 game road trip and we can't score 1 friggin goal?!?

Ok ya its Prices fault

He should have had that deflection tracked
He should have known Mete would giveaway the puck to Toffoli no idea if Weber tipped it
Kopitar goal looked weak no excuse
He should have known his D was gonna knuckle puck deflect the goal on net

Even if he stops 3 of the goals we still lose 1-0 woooo

Also score some god damn goals Price!

groovejuice

Without deviation progress is not possible
Jun 27, 2011
Calgary
Cap space has been pretty invisible last few games, sometimes I wish we picked Radulov instead

Judging by the deployments, Rads would probably be with Danault and Hudon, even though he was magic with Galchenyuk. Regrettably most decisions have been poor ones from the roster to the strategy to the line creation. So far, it's not a great year by any metric, except perhaps drafting position.

Reactions: VAN-HAB

habergeon

Apr 15, 2015
So Kings on there 4th game of there 6 game road trip and we can't score 1 friggin goal?!?

Ok ya its Prices fault
Even if he stops 3 of the goals we still lose 1-0 woooo

Also score some god damn goals Price!

I agree, but Price let in less than two per game last year versus the Rangers and there are more than a few people here who think he was THE reason we lost the series. 1.86 GAA and .933 save percentage and he is THE problem...how do you even debate that.

That's why I won't.

He has been average this year and signed a huge contract, and deserves the criticism. But he is the most likely to come back to form the quickest, and probably our quickest path to getting back to winning hockey.

But lets be honest, folks have waited a long time for this and are having a field day with their anti Price accounts created when Halak was traded. They did last playoffs, and they are out in full force now.

But the reality is we still can't score, we're actually worse at scoring. The same problems that we had last playoffs we have this now. The problem is it's magnified even more now that we have a gutted defence and subtracted from that same offence that was below average.

Pickles

Apr 25, 2017
In the jar'o
The thing that really irks me is that the Habs just won't play Galchenyuk at center where he produced his best offensive numbers because he isn't deemed good enough defensively. If the Habs were an offensive team who could score goals like the Leafs I could see not playing him there.

Problem is the Habs just cannot score goals and because the GM decided that Galchenyuk would play on the wing from now on they won't even consider trying Galchenyuk back at center anymore.

It makes absolutely zero sense to not AT LEAST give Galchenyuk a legit chance back at center where he has shown he can produce offense for a team who as scored just 18 goals in 10 games. It's madness watching how the Habs are still handling this player who I had very high hopes for.
It has to be an edict from Bergevin I really doubt Julien is this obtuse. I had high hopes for Chucky as well and I was ecstatic when he was picked by the habs. The way this team favors some players over others is just wrong.

habsgirl5000

Jul 15, 2017
He should have known Mete would giveaway the puck to Toffoli no idea if Weber tipped it

my problem with that goal was....weber was playing it like a 2 on 1....the problem is, there was no 2 on 1, it was really a 1 on 1....weber should have went directly at him

Captain Mountain

Formerly Captain Wolverine
Jun 6, 2010
I don't think it's as certain. Which defense in NHL is worse outside expansion built Vegas?

Pittsburgh's and Chicago's D have been brutal. NJ's is better, but still really bad. Toronto can move the puck, but they can't defend for shit.

Montreal's D isn't good, but they've had a lot of bad luck and an uncharacteristically bad goaltending from Price.

5v5 team defence:

They're only 17th in xGA/60 and 19th in adj. xGA/60. They're 10th CA/60 and 23rd in adj. CA/60. They're 20th in SA/60 and 27th in adj. SA/60. And their breakdown in shot danger against is here:

DNKRBlEXUAEJbXY.jpg:large

Their penalty kill is likewise pretty bad, but not the worst.

Those are team D stats, but Montreal's D have individually not been as bad as other teams, they've just had worse luck and gotten worse goaltending.

All in all, Montreal's D is still pretty bad, and its definitely worse than last year and significantly worse than it was the two seasons prior to that.

CauZuki

Feb 19, 2008
It's crazy how one player changes the dynamic of our lineup so much :

Pacioretty - Drouin - Gallagher
Lekhonen - Galchenyuk - Radulov
Byron - Danault - Hudon
DLR - McCarron - Shaw

Mete - Weber
Alzner - Petry
Schlemko - Jerabek
Benn/Davidson

Leon Lucius Black

Nov 5, 2007
Pittsburgh's and Chicago's D have been brutal. NJ's is better, but still really bad. Toronto can move the puck, but they can't defend for ****.

Montreal's D isn't good, but they've had a lot of bad luck and an uncharacteristically bad goaltending from Price.

5v5 team defence:

They're only 17th in xGA/60 and 19th in adj. xGA/60. They're 10th CA/60 and 23rd in adj. CA/60. They're 20th in SA/60 and 27th in adj. SA/60. And their breakdown in shot danger against is here:

DNKRBlEXUAEJbXY.jpg:large

Their penalty kill is likewise pretty bad, but not the worst.

Those are team D stats, but Montreal's D have individually not been as bad as other teams, they've just had worse luck and gotten worse goaltending.

All in all, Montreal's D is still pretty bad, and its definitely worse than last year and significantly worse than it was the two seasons prior to that.

I think the biggest thing has been Petry playing absolutely awful so far this year. I know people like to **** on Alzner, but he's been solid the last two games away from Petry. Ever since we got Petry our defence has either looked solid or like absolute garbage, when he plays well he gives us two solid pairings and can eat minutes but when he struggles he's an absolute disaster and it effects our whole D.

Leon Lucius Black

Nov 5, 2007
It's crazy how one player changes the dynamic of our lineup so much :

Pacioretty - Drouin - Gallagher
Lekhonen - Galchenyuk - Radulov
Byron - Danault - Hudon
DLR - McCarron - Shaw

Mete - Weber
Alzner - Petry
Schlemko - Jerabek
Benn/Davidson
If we still had Radulov odds are Julien would put him with Pacioretty and Danault and would've kept Galchenyuk on the fourth line or not at C.

Even just swapping Galchenyuk for Plekanec at C right now would make things look way different, instead Julien prefers Plekanec at C while putting up a 16 point pace over 82 games since he's been back along with making several stupid defensive mistakes.

admiralcadillac

Oct 22, 2017
I'm not commenting at all on your hockey opinions, just your penchant for complaining about other posters. Try defending or attacking ideas instead of posters, you may find your experience more rewarding.

Interesting you aren't doing the same, hence the irony

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad