Post-Game Talk: Season high win streak ended; Habs lose 4-0 to LA.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
This team is exposed to western conference teams because they can't score and can't skate. Toronto is a relatively soft team and they don't care about being out-muscled, since they're blazing fast and incredibly skilled. Penguins too. The same is true for even less skilled teams. Most Western Conference teams are moving away from the physical model for that reason.

Not getting the same read as you are on why they're losing to western teams but I'll gladly stand corrected if I'm wrong. I don't believe in excessively focusing on this aspect but there is something to be said for having an optimized asset mix.

Adding more premium talent (speed and high hockey IQ) is always a good thing and you can never have enough of it, I concur.

Problem as you well know is how to find that talent if you're not drafting it with an early pick. The teams you mentioned (Trana and Pittsburgh) are getting extremely high mileage from the early pick selections they enjoyed. It's one way to get there. Is there another without jeopardizing several seasons? I can't see one.

Yoor

Mar 17, 2015
When you fire a head coach, the assistants need to go as well.
I am still puzzled by this, fine if you want to keep Muller but i am having a hard time believing that CJ didn't at least want to bring in some of his own personnel no? why keep all the asst coaches from a previous regime in place? Surely he isn't that lazy....

sheed36

Jan 8, 2005
No Man's Land
How much longer will the incompetence running the Habs PP keep putting Pacioretty out on the 1st PP unit? The guy hasn't scored a PP goal in 30+ games now and yet he's still out there on the 1st PP unit. The guy just can't one time a puck and his passing seems to be getting worse. Having Galchenyuk who can fire one timers in Pacioretty's spot with Drouin feeding him passes would make so much more sense.

Also how many goals has Pacioretty scored since his little buddy DD was traded away? It sure doesn't seem like very many.

sandviper

No Ragrets
Jan 26, 2016
Toronto
I am still puzzled by this, fine if you want to keep Muller but i am having a hard time believing that CJ didn't at least want to bring in some of his own personnel no? why keep all the asst coaches from a previous regime in place? Surely he isn't that lazy....

I'm puzzled as well.. I understand Muller may get some leeway since he is relatively new, well liked by players and fans, and CJ publicly stated he likes working with Muller. The rest tho? I don't follow Boston, but did CJ's previous assistants get fired also?

I've always liked Muller and don't want to see him fired, but I won't be outraged by it (unless he is the only one). However, the others though, Lacroix and Daigneault, they got to go first.

Pacciosoftie

Curved Dach
Oct 26, 2017
How much longer will the incompetence running the Habs PP keep putting Pacioretty out on the 1st PP unit? The guy hasn't scored a PP goal in 30+ games now and yet he's still out there on the 1st PP unit. The guy just can't one time a puck and his passing seems to be getting worse. Having Galchenyuk who can fire one timers in Pacioretty's spot with Drouin feeding him passes would make so much more sense.

Because of Respek

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012

There is one common denominator in the assistant coaches quandary.

Bergevin has guaranteed a job to his childhood buddy JJD, rain or shine.

It began when Bergevin went so far as to make sure Larry Robinson would never get the job by removing him from any consideration, via a lame excuse that Robinson exposed. Bergevin didn't care if he'd be insulting Robinson or if he'd be shown to be in the wrong. All he wanted was clear the path for JJD.

And so JJD remains a constant throughout the Therrien years. Therrien is fired but somehow, those upon whom Therrien relied, are immune from removal.

Enter Claude Julien. Julien has coached in the NHL for decades, has worked with a lot of people he trusts. He begins a new season, new slate, has all the time in the world to name his support staff.

But the Habs are a different animal. A head coach needs to forget about his prerogative to name his own assistants. Bergevin wants eyes and ears in the room. This is what JJD is about. And so is patsy Dan Lacroix, who is just a glorified puck retriever.

JJD owns the most secure assistant coaching job in the NHL. It smacks of Bergevin's meddling, big time.

Last edited:

Pacciosoftie

Curved Dach
Oct 26, 2017
We’re misplacing all the blame on the wrong people. The person to blame here is all on molson. He’s the one who didn’t hire a PHO, he’s the one who hired mb, he allowed him to hire therrien, he allowed him to trade Subban, he allowed him to keep therrien for too long, he extended mb for 5 more years after proving nothing, he allowed him to sign price to that ridiculous contract, and now he’s refusing to fire him. He’s weak and easily manipulated and brainwashed by bergevin. It seems as though bergevin is the one with authority over him.

Reactions: Pickles

sheed36

Jan 8, 2005
No Man's Land
Just saw in another post that Pacioretty has only scored 6 goals in 34 games since DD was traded. Not sure if accurate but that's some awful numbers for the Habs best goal scorer and captain. I really hope the Habs trade this guy before they do something stupid and sign him longterm for 7+ million.

Pacciosoftie

Curved Dach
Oct 26, 2017
JJD owns the most secure assistant coaching job in the NHL. It smacks of Bergevin's meddling, big time.

The man is more loyal to his friends rather than the team. No one is to blame, it’s all on him. The solution is in da room. This whole staff of foxhole buddies should’ve never been permitted and should be expunged as soon as possible. I still can’t believe we have this clown JJD instead of Robinson. We’re run by a frat house country club and people wonder why this team sucks. This once storied and glorified club has become such a joke.

Pacciosoftie

Curved Dach
Oct 26, 2017
well MB did something stupid with Price contract.....why should we expect anything different with patches?

Unless patches asks to be traded which I truly hope he ends up doing because there is “too much pressure on him” and he’s mentally incapable of handling it anymore.

E82

Feb 3, 2015
Just saw in another post that Pacioretty has only scored 6 goals in 34 games since DD was traded. Not sure if accurate but that's some awful numbers for the Habs best goal scorer and captain. I really hope the Habs trade this guy before they do something stupid and sign him longterm for 7+ million.
Pacioretty is a beast....against non-playoff teams. He would be a 70goal scorer no doubt.

sheed36

Jan 8, 2005
No Man's Land
Watching the game last night it's crazy how much better Drouin is than everyone else on the Habs offensively. I feel bad for the guy that he doesn't have much talent and skill to work with out there from anyone else.

Reactions: Andy

Pickles

Apr 25, 2017
In the jar'o
At the trade deadline make the deal of a lifetime and get tavares
I don't see the point of giving away assets for a rental. As it stands right now this team is a lottery team. JT might change the team for the better but I don't think this organization has the assets to acquire him nor do I think he'll resign with this team.

Leon Lucius Black

Nov 5, 2007

Also how many goals has Pacioretty scored since his little buddy DD was traded away? It sure doesn't seem like very many.
The pathetic PP threw away any chance we had of coming back in the second period.

The first PP unit had only one guy who can make a pass (Drouin) with 4 guys who are more shooters and can barely handle the puck. Boggles my mind that Hudon or Scherbak didn't even see a second of PP time while we have guys like Pacioretty/Gallagher blindly passing the puck away any time they touch it.

Giacomo

Sep 26, 2017
I don’t see the point unless we turn it around tomorrow and play .650 hockey until February. If we’re still where we are at the TDL why get rid MORE of our future for JT? We can just try to trade JT as an UFA, though incredibly unlikely.
I don't think it wouldcost us MUCH MORE of our future, maybe Galchenyuk, Paches and a pick or two. What we get is someone makes his teammates better which he is known for

sheed36

Jan 8, 2005
No Man's Land
The pathetic PP threw away any chance we had of coming back in the second period.

The first PP unit had only one guy who can make a pass (Drouin) with 4 guys who are more shooters and can barely handle the puck. Boggles my mind that Hudon or Scherbak didn't even see a second of PP time while we have guys like Pacioretty/Gallagher blindly passing the puck away any time they touch it.

This team put together by MB just lacks talent and skill other than a couple of players. It's as simple as that. When you're 10 games into a season and there's 2 NHL players who have more points than the entire Habs team has goals you know your team is a complete mess.

Reactions: OldCraig71

groovejuice

Without deviation progress is not possible
Jun 27, 2011
Calgary
It's nice you've followed my 20 posts so attentively. Feel free to boo me whenever you get the chance. The irony in your post is pretty blatant.

I don't have a problem with differing opinions I'm defending people who don't think negatively all the time and people who don't like booing. Lol.

I'm not commenting at all on your hockey opinions, just your penchant for complaining about other posters. Try defending or attacking ideas instead of posters, you may find your experience more rewarding.

Reactions: Runner77

Pacciosoftie

Curved Dach
Oct 26, 2017
Watching the game last night it's crazy how much better Drouin is than everyone else on the Habs offensively. I feel bad for the guy that he doesn't have much talent and skill to work with out there from anyone else.

I just hope he doesn’t get ruined like all of our other forwards. However little skills and creativity they had has been replaced by moar grinding and shoot da puck.

Reactions: sheed36

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad