GDT: SEASON FINALE: Canucks @ Blues, 1:00 p.m. PST

The Vasili Jerry

Serenity now!
Jun 11, 2011
Orange County
I'd have preferred to finesse a more favorable lottery position in the final weeks of the season, everything being equal.

Of course our luck is cursed in the damned lottery, but, still ;)
I'd have absolutely liked to have been higher in the draft too, but it's not like the Canucks are going to go from being last to a cup contender in a season. People are going to have to learn that as the team gradually gets better, they're going to be moving up in the standings. Can't have everything (although it seems that there are a lot of people on these boards that do).

Reactions: ErrantShepherd

krutovsdonut

eeyore
Sep 25, 2016
i’m honestly good if we are far enough back this year that trading up for hughes is not practical due to the quality of player required.

hughesx2 might not work. bure and mogilny didn’t work.

Hit the post

I have your gold medal Zippy!
Oct 1, 2015
Hiding under WTG's bed...
I was hoping Demko would get the win, this was his finest performance all year. Big saves in big moments.

Glad to see one more Petey bomb. I would hate for the year to have finished on such a big drought. That should be a nice reminder to the Calder voters.

Pearson making a great case to stick around. Granlund faffing about. Edler looked great. Leivo, Gaudette, Virtanen, Eriksson, Schaller invisible. Beagle steady. Hutton had a few of those "whoa now" moments. Stecher solid.

I was hoping for Bo to win the faceoff-off with O'Reilly (almost came away with most FO wins), but oh well. Still a massive year-long performance from our future captain.

Rafferty with that one nice shift but my god, that return pass to Boeser has to go closer to the wheelhouse. It's an easy one time goal, but instead Boeser has to corral it for a split second. Seems to be the case with him-- of the little I've seen of his game, Brogan's passing hasn't been NHL quality.

Quinn Hughes is absolute magic, you can tell the big 3 is going to be a force in the future. Really hoping we'd see his first goal tonight, though goals evidently aren't his bread and butter. Came as advertised -- separates from defenders with his unbelievable skating, and has high IQ playmaking. Remarkable shift in overtime. I need to see a gif of that one dangle where he must have gone forehand, backhand, forehand, spin, find opening.

Shame the season had to end here for Boeser, he looked unchained. Lots of his attempts blocked though.

And that's a wrap on the season. If Binnington gets the Calder that will be the last straw regarding my faith in the awards process. I already don't take the Jack Adams or Selke seriously, and the Norris has a bit of a black eye on it from Doughty's win, so it would be a shame if the other awards were to become such a sham too (and I'm pretty biased against Corey Perry winning the Hart when the players themselves gave MVP to Danny). Not to knock Jordan's performance, but I just can't fathom qualifying for votes in this day and age with 32 games. Even the Hamburglar didn't get so much as a sniff when he went 20-1-2 back in 2014-15

Lots to look forward to. The draft at home should be fun, but I'm more interested in the free agency. There's a lot of sculpting that can be done, and that's just within our own FA's. I want to see Edler, Motte, Leivo, and Hutton back. I think the ship has sailed on Goldobin. And for gods sake get Granlund and Pouliot off this team once and for all. Then I think we'll really start to turn the corner.
It is weird how the Hamburgler didn’t get any Calder votes but did get some Vezina votes.

Reactions: Luckylarry

ProstheticConscience

Check dein Limit
Apr 30, 2010
Canuck Nation
The only way this could have been a more Canucks end to the season was if Granlund or Schaller scored the game tying goal.

Let's see...what's better for the team...garbage time loser point or higher draft pick...I know! GARBAGE TIME LOSER POINT!! Just so bloody typical.

Brock Boeser Laser Show

Sep 27, 2017
I'd have absolutely liked to have been higher in the draft too, but it's not like the Canucks are going to go from being last to a cup contender in a season. People are going to have to learn that as the team gradually gets better, they're going to be moving up in the standings. Can't have everything (although it seems that there are a lot of people on these boards that do).
it's far more likely that this team is drafting in no mans land for the next 5 years with Benning at the helm. How does anyone have any confidence given this regimes track record with pro scouting?

Look at how Tampa was built. Do you think Benning can pull off any of the moves needed to get to that level? Hell for all the credit he gets for drafting he hasn't yet found a Kucherov or Point type core player outside of the 1st round. That Tampa roster is full of players drafted (or signed as UDFA) outside of the 1st round. What do the canucks have right now? Gaudette/Stecher are decent and Demko could be a solid goalie but I don't see any of them being core pieces. If you want a contender you have to demand more than what Benning is providing. Way too many people seem all too happy be a middling bubble team for the next 5 years and that's what you can expect under Benning's leadership.

krutovsdonut

eeyore
Sep 25, 2016
The only way this could have been a more Canucks end to the season was if Granlund or Schaller scored the game tying goal.

Let's see...what's better for the team...garbage time loser point or higher draft pick...I know! GARBAGE TIME LOSER POINT!! Just so bloody typical.

calder sealing goal for pettersson is good for the team, no?

Pastor Of Muppetz

Oct 1, 2017
it's far more likely that this team is drafting in no mans land for the next 5 years with Benning at the helm. How does anyone have any confidence given this regimes track record with pro scouting?

Look at how Tampa was built. Do you think Benning can pull off any of the moves needed to get to that level? Hell for all the credit he gets for drafting he hasn't yet found a Kucherov or Point type core player outside of the 1st round. That Tampa roster is full of players drafted (or signed as UDFA) outside of the 1st round. What do the canucks have right now? Gaudette/Stecher are decent and Demko could be a solid goalie but I don't see any of them being core pieces. If you want a contender you have to demand more than what Benning is providing. Way too many people seem all too happy be a middling bubble team for the next 5 years and that's what you can expect under Benning's leadership.
Getting mad at hypotheticals..?..Atta boy..

geebaan

7th round busted
Oct 27, 2012
well we aren’t as good as the group that built the best team in nhl history with a multiyear head start on us so we must obviously suck.

if only benning had drafted hedman and stamkos when he had the chance.

Could have started with Tkachuk and Nylander but lets just conveniently forget about that part.

Reactions: Scorvat and TruGr1t

orcatown

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 13, 2003
Visit site
Give the team credit for pushing right to the bitter end but there has to be disappointment that again these late season surges do nothing to provide any long term good for the team. We, and others, have a had these and they have zero effect in the future. But they do hurt in terms of chances of getting the major help this team needs. Might get lucky in the draft but its a damn site better not to depend on luck.

Know this is a controversy we seem to struggle thru each year in terms of tanking and it seems to come down to the type of perspective or gratification one is seeking. Can appreciate the Carpe Diem (live for the moment) sentiment but also recognize the need for delaying gratification in order to achieve long term success.

Good

Hughes - was excellent. Skating, passing and vision were superb. Guy is a player and even right now the best player on the team in terms of talent. Probable that, like Pettersson, the league wears him down next year but long term there is so much to work with here.

Demko - not always text book but was stopping the puck. Season has been broken up but there is promise here.

Pearson - another nice goal. Looks like a top 6 forward moving ahead. Does seem the Benning stumbled into something here.

Schenn - must be re-signed but difficulty becomes what term he is willing to accept. I fear any kind of long term deal.

Stecher - with Tanev out ends the season as our second best overall defense man. That rush in the third suggests he has more offensive upside than he is usually credited with. Big hope is that he comes in to his own next season

Beagle - that was a strong defensive effort by Beagle in this game. However someone needs to get him a decent set of gloves.

Not Good

Virtanen - a promising start to the season has been overturned by a very sketchy end. Again in this game seemed unfocused and, at times, lost. Effort in his own end was very poor and there were times when he seemed unprepared when the puck came to him. Often did not move to the puck but instead let the puck play him. Back on his heels and reactive rather than proactive. And this has been the story on this player for far too long. At this point, the Canucks have to consider a trade. Maybe he becomes something somewhere else but it is just as likely he remains a player with great wheels and no hockey IQ. One problem with our present draft position is that we are in the area where we likely get someone with a deficiency somewhere in his game - like Virtanen. You then hope that somehow this problem can be overcome.

Others

Rafferty - got tied up in his end too much but also showed some very positive signs. Thought his positioning was good and also his puck movement very good at times. Made a couple of good set ups (especially on the ones to Boeser) which showed good vision and anticipation.

Granlund - Granlund has made a late season push for a contract and may end up back here. Amount of game time he is getting suggests Canucks are kicking the tires still on this player. Not sure of what to think about this. Best scenario probably is that Granlund comes back, plays ok and the Canucks are able to get something for him. But you do worry about wasted cap space that might be critical to signing better players.

Gaudette - still has ways to go before establishing he is a bona vide NHL player. Think that he has been a disappointment overall and not sure he starts next year in Vancouver. Play in this game was repeat of the sort of nondescript play he has shown during last third of the season.

Spooner - always the flashes of superior speed and good passing. But never results in anything. Do wonder that, if he had been given the third line center role over Gaudette, whether he could have shown more. Don't think playing Gaudette was the wrong move but maybe playing Spooner there might have allowed Spooner to have better established a role on the team. As it is Spooner future with the the team remains cloudy.

Pettersson - nice to see him finish it off with a goal. Him running out of gas (or whatever happened - injury?) took away much chance of the Canucks actually making the playoffs.

Anyhow done for another year and hopefully we have a good off season and get some luck in the draft and in free agency. Don't trust Jimbo but we live in hope. At least we have some interesting players and situations to look forward to for next year.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
It's only a limited sample size, but Quinn Hughes will have more of an impact on this team going forward than Pettersson imo. He's an elite level skaer, with elite level vision from the back end.....something the Canucks have ever had in their 50-year history.

Canucks have some big off-season decisions on guys like Edler, Tanev and Sutter....have they played their last games? Based on Jimbo's radio interview, they're in the market for a top six winger and a blue chip blueliner either in free agency or trades. Oodles of cap space and an owner who probably isn't going to accept anything but the playoffs next season....buckle up for a big summer.

Reactions: Luckylarry

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad