Confirmed with Link: Sean Walker & 5th round pick ('26) traded to Colorado for 1st round pick ('25 - top 10 protected) & Ryan Johansen - Johansen assigned to Lehigh Valley

How Do You Grade The Trade?

• Total voters

mr figgles

Mar 24, 2012
With Kuznetzov being flipped with retention, surely Danny should be able to get something for Johansen at half the hit.

VladDrag

Feb 6, 2018
Toffoli traded for a 2nd and 3rd to Winnipeg.

So far Walker and Hanifin are the only 2 players to return a 1st without conditions other than top 10 protection.

Good work by Briere here.
I gave this trade a B here, so I don't want to this comment to be looked at being negative. It's worth noting they didn't just trade Walker for a 1st straight up. They traded Walker, cap space, and a 5th for a 2025 1st. Still - I think it was a good trade by Danny B! I wish he got more for the cap space, but I think it's clear they got what they were looking for.

pooch

May 30, 2017
With Kuznetzov being flipped with retention, surely Danny should be able to get something for Johansen at half the hit.
Do we want to tie up a retention spot for 2 seasons for a mid to late round pick? Is he not worth icing at all for us this season? Is he that bad now or is it a Torts thing...both?

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
Considering a buyout is about the same amount as retaining 50%, but spread over 2 years....AND it doesn't tie up a retention spot now and next year, the buyout might be preferred.

Trade 1 for 1 for a bad contract another team wants to move, could be in the works

Jack Straw

Moving much too slow.
Sponsor
Jul 19, 2010
New York
We also threw in a 5th, for fun.
Or maybe, and call me crazy if you want, but maybe, just maybe, Briere included the pick because that's what it took to get the deal done? I mean, as opposed to him saying, "look, I know you're ok with the deal as it stands but I really think you should get more. Have a 5th round draft pick on us. Cheers!"

It's a crazy idea, I know.

Last edited:

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
If they took back a multi year 4 million cap dump back, they could of had an EXTRA 1st in addition to what they got.
Which player with 1 year left at $4m got traded for a 1st?

Calgary retained $2,250,000 pro-rated, and only got back a 2024 2nd, a conditional 2026 3rd, and an AHL dman with 5 points in 44 games. The Walker return was objectively better given the Flyers had room to take Johansen's deal.

Ceremony

blahem
Jun 8, 2012
We know Tortorella hates him, but per Dater something happened in Colorado that poisoned the well. Might figure there's too much possible clashing on all sides to be worth what a 4th liner brings.
I don't know how much you've shared about him in here but after we got beat 5-1 by Nashville the other night in his post-game interview he said something like "he had some fun" and I wouldn't be surprised if the top guys had just had enough.

I'd also like to add that Ryan Johansen is the fattest player I've ever seen. He's not worth anything. He's not playing in the NHL again, regardless of what a team was actually liable for. Cheers for taking him off our hands boys.

EXTRAS

Jul 31, 2012
I didn't really think johansen was so bad this year that he deserves to be put in the ahl.

FLYguy3911

Sanheim Lover
Oct 19, 2006
That AHL dman with 5 points in 44 games was actually coveted by an NHL team. It's not what I would have done, but the Flames valued him like a 1st round pick (like I'm sure Pittsburgh did with their three new prospects).

I swear this team could take on a $15 million contract, but as long as a 1st round pick this decade was coming back, people would call the trade a win.

Jettany

Feb 21, 2018
Just read thru this thread. This place is comical. The fringes matter! Too funny. The following doesn’t matter:

Patrick over Makar.
O’Brien over Miller.
Ratclffe (traded up for) over Robertson.

The fringes do.

kudymen

Hakstok was a fascist clique hiver lickballs.gif
Jun 18, 2011
Atlanta (Decatur)
1709980615664.png

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
It's funny that people still post dumb BS like that yet what "we" have repeatedly said is "IT ALL MATTERS".

I enjoy that here in the glorious future year of 2024 we still have people claiming everyone here is the same. The supposed echo-hivemindchamber is filled with constant disagreement, but mostly everyone manages to do it without being pricks. But apparently if there is any kind of negative thought involved we are all identical, one flesh. Commence the traditional meltdown about it; there is always one in the first 41 games, one in the second 41, and then another in the offseason. At least they're funny. And reliable.

Reactions: kudymen and Tripod

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
They were buyers and sellers. Just like the Hextall era. They haven’t changed as evidenced by the fact Seeler and Laughton are still here based largely on how they affect the “culture”. There’s no reason to think the next 50 years will have any more Cups than the first.

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
There’s no denying they have done better than expected this season and Torts has got them to buy in to a system that makes them competitive despite a lack of talent. But the 2018 Flyers had a better, younger team, and also better prospects, and as many draft picks as this allegedly rebuilding team has.

So doing victory laps now is very weird, especially since they haven’t even made the playoffs yet.

• Wow
Reactions: Beef Invictus

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad