Player Discussion Sean Monahan

FF de Mars

Mar 2, 2002
42 rue Fontaine
Markov had a rough 2 to 3 years with injuries… he found a way to come back to his strength after that.

I feel like counting out players that got a rough patch is often a mistake.

I was about to write something similar: those injuries take a lot of time to heal, a whole lot, as they affect the entire body, which you have to rebuild with tendons and muscles, which take an eternity to take form. There's a chance he comes on top, maybe a slight chance but still a possibility, because he had a lot of time off already. Same applies to Gallagher.

MasterD

Giggidy Giggidy Goo
Jul 1, 2004
I was about to write something similar: those injuries take a lot of time to heal, a whole lot. There's a chance he comes on top, maybe a slight chance but still a possibility, because he had a lot of time off already. Same applies to Gallagher.
Markov’s and Gallagher’s situations are almost total opposites. Markovs career was 80% based of his IQ and 20% his tools and skills. After his injuries he had lost speed and mobility, still had all of his IQ and passing ability and defensive acumen.

Gallagher’s career was 80% based on hard work and tenacity, and 20% on skill.

His body is all broken down, so he’s left with very little speed, no shot, no passing ability. He’s done.

Reactions: Andy

FF de Mars

Mar 2, 2002
42 rue Fontaine
Markov’s and Gallagher’s situations are almost total opposites. Markovs career was 80% based of his IQ and 20% his tools and skills. After his injuries he had lost speed and mobility, still had all of his IQ and passing ability and defensive acumen.

Gallagher’s career was 80% based on hard work and tenacity, and 20% on skill.

His body is all broken down, so he’s left with very little speed, no shot, no passing ability. He’s done.

I know the narrative, but those "%" are hard to account for, I really think they're innacurate. I also think we're having separate discussions. I'm saying it takes more time than most think to recover from those operations because the body has to recover globally, not just in the affected areas. Take for example Gallagher's groin injury, if you look to an anatomy map of the human body you will see how the groin is connected to the back and the abs and the legs and etc. I'm only an expert in the sense of what I had to live through but at the very least that's how it works for Monohan's hips, it takes so much time to rebuild the whole frame you wouldn't believe it, no wonder he refered it as a grind in his interview.

pth2

Jan 7, 2018
I'm wondering if a healthy (but diminished) Monahan might find a new kind of role, as a 3d/4th line center, strong on faceoffs, some offensive ability if opportunities pop up, but no longer a top 6 forward. He's only 27, he could be a useful player for the rebuild, assuming he isn't rented off at the deadline.

Belial

Oct 22, 2014
Montreal
I'm wondering if a healthy (but diminished) Monahan might find a new kind of role, as a 3d/4th line center, strong on faceoffs, some offensive ability if opportunities pop up, but no longer a top 6 forward. He's only 27, he could be a useful player for the rebuild, assuming he isn't rented off at the deadline.
Well, Hughes said that they're open to extending him if he has a good season.

CamPopplestone

Sep 27, 2017
There's no doubt that Sean has declined the past few years, and the amount of surgeries he's had is ludicrous. But the dedication he has had to our franchise is second to none since he's been here. He's played through such excruciating pain until we've been eliminated from playoff contention more than once, and Gaudreau even said before he shut down this past season, he could barely walk out of the rink after a game, and while I wish he would have not taken that risk on himself, the man is driven and gives it his all. He does a ton of charity work, heavily focusing on kids, and he was loved by his teammates here, as seen by everyone so happy at his wedding.

So for all his poor play the past few seasons, Sean is genuinely one of my favorites to ever put on our jersey. Over the years where I questioned how much effort our core put in, it was never a question with Monahan. He may have not had much to give the last couple years, but he gave it all. Even if he was frustrated by being stuck on the 4th line this season, he never caused an issue with it or made it an issue in the room. I think, even if his time there is brief, his mentality will be really good for your younger players, and I hope he turns it back around and performs well for you guys.

Skip Bayless

The Skip Bayless Show
Aug 28, 2014
The most valuable thing about this trade is that we now have a faceoff expert in the organization that can teach young Nick the Thick and the boy Kirby.

River Meadow

Mar 29, 2016
His wrist injury completely changed his shot (which was his best weapon) and the last hip injury hurt his skating quite a lot. Now there's another hip surgery on top of that (on the other side).

There's just no realistic path for him to being good again.

Does that mean Dach is done, too?

Toene

Y'en aura pas de facile
Nov 17, 2014
There's no doubt that Sean has declined the past few years, and the amount of surgeries he's had is ludicrous. But the dedication he has had to our franchise is second to none since he's been here. He's played through such excruciating pain until we've been eliminated from playoff contention more than once, and Gaudreau even said before he shut down this past season, he could barely walk out of the rink after a game, and while I wish he would have not taken that risk on himself, the man is driven and gives it his all. He does a ton of charity work, heavily focusing on kids, and he was loved by his teammates here, as seen by everyone so happy at his wedding.

So for all his poor play the past few seasons, Sean is genuinely one of my favorites to ever put on our jersey. Over the years where I questioned how much effort our core put in, it was never a question with Monahan. He may have not had much to give the last couple years, but he gave it all. Even if he was frustrated by being stuck on the 4th line this season, he never caused an issue with it or made it an issue in the room. I think, even if his time there is brief, his mentality will be really good for your younger players, and I hope he turns it back around and performs well for you guys.
Do you need a tissue, you cheesy son of a gun? Just kidding, Monahan is a badass leader and will at least be a good example for our young core, but I believe he could prove lots of people wrong this year by contributing as a middle-six center. Assuming the surgeries worked, if he even returns to half-form, he'll give us some solid hockey and could be flipped at the DL for a nice haul.

Reactions: Habs10Habs

Scintillating10

Jun 15, 2012
Nova Scotia
I try to watch a lot of Flames games. Monahan really started falling off during the 2019-20 season but then after some time off had a solid playoff in the bubble. He then got off to a really good start in 2020-21 but his effectiveness fell off a cliff. Sutter tried to give him every opportunity when he took over as coach partway through that 20-21 season but Monahan just couldn't do anything and had hip surgery before the season ended. He was completely ineffective last year.

Monahan was never a strong skater but his mobility has really been hampered by his injuries in recent seasons. I just can't see him getting his mojo back as his body seems to be falling apart. Surprisingly he has been very good in the face-off dot despite the injuries. He might now be the Habs best face-off man. We all know face-offs have been an organizational weakness for many years.

I'm amazed that Molson has opened up the purse strings to take on salary for a pick that might not be ours until 2026.
Good report. I didn't know Monahan. Sounds like our 4th line center if he is healthy. Is he healthy to start the season?

Reactions: Schooner Guy

Belial

Oct 22, 2014
Montreal
Good report. I didn't know Monahan. Sounds like our 4th line center if he is healthy. Is he healthy to start the season?
The guy stopped being effective cuz he was playing injured.

He might never be the player he was before all those injuries but if he managed to get his body fixed and his rehabilitation went well we might see a decent player out there next season.

Schooner Guy

Jun 23, 2006
I'm not sure if he'll be healthy at the start of the season. His body seems to be 10-15 years older than this actual age. I don't have any hopes or expectations to get anything substantial for him at the deadline like others do but it would certainly be a nice bonus if we could.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
The way he was talking in his PC he's healthy and ready to go...

Imagine his body is fine and he has a good season, this would be highway robbery.

Who's the center that gets moved to wing? I'm not sure. But lets think about the Danault/Gallagher from before and I wonder about Monahan/Gallagher?

However, Something tells me Monahan plays wing to Dach and helps him in the faceoff area.

KevSkillz4

Apr 11, 2016
I think Monahan is a perfect guy for a rebuild mode... he is a pretty good leader. Like Hughes said on conference, if he can rebound with Habs... they want to keep him and me too I want to keep him if he can rebound.

Only 28 years old in October... that's not old too.

Belial

Oct 22, 2014
Montreal
Who's the center that gets moved to wing? I'm not sure. But lets think about the Danault/Gallagher from before and I wonder about Monahan/Gallagher?

However, Something tells me Monahan plays wing to Dach and helps him in the faceoff area.
Apparently, It's Evans, Hughes mentioned it during his PC.

Reactions: Habs Halifax

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
I'm not sure if he'll be healthy at the start of the season. His body seems to be 10-15 years older than this actual age. I don't have any hopes or expectations to get anything substantial for him at the deadline like others do but it would certainly be a nice bonus if we could.

Centers and D get more. If Monahan has a rebound season (who knows), there is a possibility he returns something of value at the deadline. However, we better have accumulated cap space to retain cause no playoff team can fit that in the cap. Even at 50% retention, it's not easy. Might need a 3rd team.

We are simply not moving guys like Chiarot, Lehkonen, and Toffoli this time around (Maybe Dvorak). Monahan has a chance to become a guy that returns something of value. Needs to play a full season and produce though.

I think Monahan is a perfect guy for a rebuild mode... he is a pretty good leader. Like Hughes said on conference, if he can rebound with Habs... they want to keep him and me too I want to keep him if he can rebound.

Only 28 years old in October... that's not old too.

Good guy to potentially move to wing to mentor Dach and help him in the faceoff circle.

Apparently, It's Evans, Hughes mentioned it during his PC.

Ah, I missed that. Makes sense, we are lacking right handed shot wingers at the bottom half of the roster. Monahan knows Evans well so maybe they play together? I was thinking Monahan on wing to Dach previously

• Love
Reactions: KevSkillz4

calder candidate

Feb 25, 2003
Montreal
Visit site
My expectation are very low with is injuries he may not even crack the top 9 + we might not even be able to flip him with 50% at the tdl but we already got a 1st… he might start the season on LTIR. Can’t believe that a team like Seattle or ARZ didn’t pick him up, the medical issue most be pretty significant to affect is play but not significant enough to keep him on LTIR… We already got a first and worst case he is off the book after this year.

Matthew McConaughay

May 3, 2013
We already one named Dvorak for this, that cost less.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad