Player Discussion Sean Monahan

BuildOnDiamonds

Jul 7, 2022
would be hilarious if he can turn it around and play at a top 6 level. If he does that, he could definitely be flipped for really good value at the deadline.
If he can turn it around, I would really take a look at signing him to a team friendly contract. U30 6 foot 2 center that can play in the top 6 aren't often available on the market and are tough to draft and develop.

Reactions: dralaf

BigDaddyLurch

Have some PRIDE, Eric...
Sponsor
Mar 1, 2013
Principle's Office
...funny how things go...if Pierre Gauthier wasn't such a horrible GM, the Calgary 2013 2nd we got in the Cammalleri deal would have been their 1st instead...and who was drafted by Calgary with that 6th OA pick??...Sean Monahan...:thumbu:

...although knowing Bargain Bin and Timmins, they probably would have just picked Ristolainen or Zadorov instead...:cry:

Reactions: Runner77

Harry Wong

Oct 25, 2009
Famous speedster with two consecutive hip surgeries in the last two years Sean Monahan will zip through the Eastern Conference like a hot knife through butter

Jokes aside, his NHL career is nearing its end and it isn’t his fault. He’s a dedicated pro and he’s done everything asked of him or suggested to him to prolong his time in the NHL. If the surgeries fix his problems that’s fantastic, this is a contract year after all. If not, then there is no shame — he tried to make it work, it just didn’t.

He’s got character and was beloved in Calgary. If we’re going to have a stinker of a season I’d rather have it with no-fuss and good guys like Sean Monahan. Hoping for the best for him.
Well said.

Giddens

Feb 18, 2007
According to this article from last April, his first hip surgery was really successful. The operated hip was 100% last year. Hopefully the surgery on the other hip will be as successful:

jrom

Mar 28, 2022
Interesting addition but makes me wonder where this leaves the other addition this summer, Dach.

Monahan probably won't be ready to start the season and whatever happens they will give playing time to Dach at C and let his play decide if he should be 2C or 3C (or 4C !). It's the only way the Romanov trade can work out.

If Dvorak can have a decent season with MSL, with his $4.2M x2 years left he'll have a lot of trade value at TDL.

Apr 28, 2010
He's had a bad year but I have a feeling that he just needs a big change. Very excited about this.

MSL, s'il vous plaiiiiitttt!!!

Redux91

I do Three bullets.
Sep 5, 2006
Kirkland, Montreal
Slaf in the ahl

Dadonov - Suzuki - Caufield
Drouin - Dach - Anderson
Monahan - Dvorak - Gallagher
Pitlick/Hoffman - Evans - Armia
Byron, Pezzetta
I keep feeling like the Dadonov suzuki caufield line will unexpectedly turn out amazing lmao, and itll be bittersweet because we want a great pick at least 1 more time

Tho I wonder if they give monahan to Dach over dvorak, we'll need the face off help there

DramaticGloveSave

Voice of Reason
Apr 17, 2017
Monahan probably won't be ready to start the season and whatever happens they will give playing time to Dach at C and let his play decide if he should be 2C or 3C (or 4C !). It's the only way the Romanov trade can work out.

If Dvorak can have a decent season with MSL, with his $4.2M x2 years left he'll have a lot of trade value at TDL.
Monahan said he’s healthy in his zoom call and on the ice 4 times a week, so I think he’ll be in the lineup.

sandviper

No Ragrets
Jan 26, 2016
Toronto
You have to like how the tandem of HuGo are thinking..........another 1st incoming...........there was a time, where the GM couldn't get us a 1st or a Centre...... The misery.....
In less than one calendar year, HuGo got us an extra 2022 first, an extra 2023 first and another future 1st. Got us two centers under the age of 30 as well.

But trades are hard.

durojean

May 29, 2007
I have 0 expectation, the dude body is falling apart, a wrist and two hip surgeries in 4 years. Props to him if he manage to play most of the season.
Markov had a rough 2 to 3 years with injuries… he found a way to come back to his strength after that.

I feel like counting out players that got a rough patch is often a mistake.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
Martin St- Louis will fix him.
rcbubxQ.gif

A55P2

Jul 14, 2009
Québec, Québec
Our centerline is :

Suzuki
Monahan
Dvorak
Dach
Evans

When was the last time our center line was this good ? Seriously ?

They actually did that in not even a year…
As much as I like all moves Hughes made, let's not get ahead of ourselves. This is as unproven as it gets. We've got to hope some of the guys regain form, but outside of Suzuki none of them have done much in a while. They've got upside, but it needs to materialize.

Reactions: Habs Icing

Kennerback

Juraj NoShootsky
Jun 2, 2021
Our centerline is :

Suzuki
Monahan
Dvorak
Dach
Evans

In the event everyone’s still there, it’s a cutthroat free-for-all for the 2C and 3C spots.

Reactions: Redux91 and jrom

HabzSauce

Jun 10, 2022
How do we feel about John Gibson?

I know he's been off last few years but he looks like he's similar to Carey price in sense that if he doesn't care they he won't play elite.

Another question to ask is if he would even be interested in playing for Montreal? I can't see why not currently especially with the direction our organization is moving in.

WOOPS wrong thread

Last edited:

ChesterNimitz

governed by the principle of calculated risk
Jul 4, 2002
As much as I like all moves Hughes made, let's not get ahead of ourselves. This is as unproven as it gets. We've got to hope some of the guys regain form, but outside of Suzuki none of them have done much in a while. They've got upside, but it needs to materialize.
So much better than just a few years ago when almost none of our players/prospects had upside. Our long journey into the darkness seems to be ending.

Hins77

Apr 2, 2013
One thing wich playing in favor of Monahan is he is only 27 years old…. I mean, I know this kind of injury finish Ryan Kesler career but he was already 34/35. I don’t expect that much of Monahan, but I believe he can still play as a 3rd line centerman minimum

RationalExpectations

May 12, 2019
Our centerline is :

Suzuki
Monahan
Dvorak
Dach
Evans

Suzuki
Danault > Dvorak ?
KK = Dach in terms of what they have achieved.
Evans

Monahan is a cap dump right now and you consider him above Dvorak, let us see how it works out. Nothing against Hughes moves but let‘s give the players time to show what they are capable of.

Reactions: Habs Icing

RationalExpectations

May 12, 2019
One thing wich playing in favor of Monahan is he is only 27 years old…. I mean, I know this kind of injury finish Ryan Kesler career but he was already 34/35. I don’t expect that much of Monahan, but I believe he can still play as a 3rd line centerman minimum
It shows that they won‘t play a defensive game… Dadonov, Caufield, Monahan, Drouin, Hoffman, Anderson, Dvorak are not defense first forwards to say the least :D

MasterD

Giggidy Giggidy Goo
Jul 1, 2004

Yes, injuries don’t that to players. Especially wrist and hip injuries…
Markov had a rough 2 to 3 years with injuries… he found a way to come back to his strength after that.

I feel like counting out players that got a rough patch is often a mistake.
Markov came back slow af, but made it work because of his insane hockey IQ and because he played D.

If Monahan is as slow as Markov was after his injuries, he’s done.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad