Value of: Sean Monahan

blankall

Jul 4, 2007
Yeah, you guys have done a great job acquiring goalies since Kipper left. Just like the Flyers and the Blues, yes so easy...all 3 are teams that had more success acquiring top centers than consistent #1 goalies.

There's a reason why you almost never see established #1 goalies being traded, they're hard to come by. Schneider is the last one I remember.
Generally there just aren't that many dependable goalies in the league. How many starters right now have remained dependable through their careers?

Even guys like Price and Schneider, who were all stars, now look very mediocre.

The Flames should not throw away a young #1 centre on a gamble.

ottawa

Nov 7, 2012
Orléans/Toronto
Generally there just aren't that many dependable goalies in the league. How many starters right now have remained dependable through their careers?

Even guys like Price and Schneider, who were all stars, now look very mediocre.

The Flames should not throw away a young #1 centre on a gamble.

Price doesn't look mediocre, wtf lol. Last year he was playing in front of arguably the worst defense in the NHL and he looks great this year because our defense is a little more respectable. He had 6/7 great years before his shit season last year and he's mediocre all of a sudden.

What year are you stuck in?

Gaylord Q Tinkledink

Apr 29, 2018
Has a consistent 30 goal scorer ever been traded for a goalie before?

I assume this is a Price for Monahan proposal ?

Neither team does that. Flames don't because no one values a goaltender until you can't stop a puck, but you're likely to get a fairly decent goalie for a lot less. Just can't aim for free.

Montreal doesn't because they just basically become the flames with even shittier goaltending.

That's me assuming Montreal doesn't have another trade lines up for a goalie.

Lawfoster

Oct 26, 2018
Plays first line, but realistically he should be a 2nd liner
Absolutely stupid comment, best goal scoring guy from his draft, people thinking Monahan is a second line center should remove their nose from the paint can.

Meeqs

Aug 23, 2012
USA
Generally you can't really asses a players value without having a good reason to move that player. For example, if CGY had too many good centers and had to move one, couldn't afford to pay them, or there was a personal issue where they had to move on from a player.

At least from a neutral fans perspective I don't see why CGY would move him or how they would be able to do so without causing bigger issues than they are solving.

All that aside I would look at Turris to NSH return and maybe RyJo to NSH as baselines. If you wanted to you could use Duchene's return *(0.8) to calibrate it as its unlikely to expect such a one sided deal and you'd also have to pretend that Otts 1st in that deal ended up being in the 20-30 range to remove the hindsight bias.

The final thing I will added is deals around young goalies are practically impossible to asses. They are rare and voodoo and nothing will be able to be gained from it given the nature of the position and the rarity of such transactions. It would be easier to just treat any goalie prospect at a 2nd or mid 1st and assume you will draft one with that pick for simplicities sake.

KingsHockey24

Aug 1, 2013
Why would the Flames possibly do this?

Peterson looks downright awful this year in the AHL. He is 24 and yet to get an actual NHL start.

Monahan is the much better and younger player.
I agree.

Though on Peterson it does usually take goalies much longer to develop. He was the goalie of the year in the AHL just a season ago.

blankall

Jul 4, 2007
I agree.

Though on Peterson it does usually take goalies much longer to develop. He was the goalie of the year in the AHL just a season ago.

According to this link:

Sparks voted top goaltender in AHL for 2017-18 | TheAHL.com | The American Hockey League

The goalie of the year was Garrett Sparks, who I also would not give up any major assets for.

Edit:

Petersen was also a NCAA hold-out who refused to play for Buffalo and signed in LA. Why would Calgary downgrade a major asset for that kind of flight risk.

Last edited:

OvermanKingGainer

#BennettFreed #CurseofTheSpulll #FreeOliver
Feb 3, 2015
2022 Cup to Calgary
Yeah, you guys have done a great job acquiring goalies since Kipper left. Just like the Flyers and the Blues, yes so easy...all 3 are teams that had more success acquiring top centers than consistent #1 goalies.

There's a reason why you almost never see established #1 goalies being traded, they're hard to come by. Schneider is the last one I remember.

No, he's right, there's pretty much only one path to acquiring a #1C, it's through the very top of the draft. Basically score one on a top ~4-5 pick or you try again the next year.

Acquiring a #1G is more random chance - some get their via trade (Raanta, Talbot, Dubnyk), others get theirs via the top of the draft (Price), others get theirs at bottom of the draft (Rinne, Lundqvist), others get theirs in the second and third rounds of the draft, others sign theirs as free agents from the other side of the world (Bobrovsky). There's really no predicting where you're going to get your #1G. There's no predicting whether a goalie who has success behind one team will have that success behind another team that plays a different style. There's no telling if a goalie who thrives facing 35 shots will be able to thrive facing 22 instead. There's no telling if a goalie who wins a Vezina trophy can even post a .900 save percentage the same year in the playoffs. For all we know David Rittich is fifteen years away from getting inducted into the HHoF. It's a random ****ing position.

Centers are far more defined, and the method of acquiring them is far more specific.

Not that Sean Monahan's a #1 center.

ottawa

Nov 7, 2012
Orléans/Toronto
No, he's right, there's pretty much only one path to acquiring a #1C, it's through the very top of the draft. Basically score one on a top ~4-5 pick or you try again the next year.

Acquiring a #1G is more random chance - some get their via trade (Raanta, Talbot, Dubnyk), others get theirs via the top of the draft (Price), others get theirs at bottom of the draft (Rinne, Lundqvist), others get theirs in the second and third rounds of the draft, others sign theirs as free agents from the other side of the world (Bobrovsky). There's really no predicting where you're going to get your #1G. There's no predicting whether a goalie who has success behind one team will have that success behind another team that plays a different style. There's no telling if a goalie who thrives facing 35 shots will be able to thrive facing 22 instead. There's no telling if a goalie who wins a Vezina trophy can even post a .900 save percentage the same year in the playoffs. For all we know David Rittich is fifteen years away from getting inducted into the HHoF. It's a random ****ing position.

Centers are far more defined, and the method of acquiring them is far more specific.

Sure he's right, I never said he wasn't.

How does that make me wrong?

DFAC

Jan 19, 2008

Wait, what? He most definitely is..?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad