Value of: Sean Monahan

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
Would rather have Point. Local Calgary boy, more likely to stay imo.

Point is untouchable in any realistic deal. There's no question about that, really. He's the organization's golden boy for the foreseeable future.

I mean, so is Stamkos, but I honestly think we'd try to deal Stamkos before Point. Point is like an ace up Jon Cooper's sleeve.

Nikishin Go Boom

Russian Bulldozer Consultent
Jul 31, 2017
Faulk and Mrazek (he is 26)

for Monahan.

Seems fair. Mrazek's save percentage is on the low side but that is because the chances he sees are very high scoring chances due to the style of play. He has a very respectable 2.64 GAA. Faulk already knows Bill Peters' suck the life out you style.

P.S please take this post as serious as the original want to trade monahan.

RandomAvsFan

Jun 27, 2016
Denver, Colorado
Well MB turned down Poehling + 2nd for O’Reilly so yeah, go figure. I guess 19 years old PPG 2-way C in the NCAA does hold that kind of value.

Petry is also on pace for a better PPG ratio than Monahan as well ;) . He’s also RHD
Maybe you don't realize how easily that offer can be beaten? The Avs could offer Barrie+Jost and find their 2C behind Mackinnon. Not to mention all the other assets we have.

If you want a #1C you have to offer better than Poehling and Petry. I know, I know Montreal doesn't know what a center is, so it's hard for you guys to gauge their value.

Last edited:
Reactions: kevrondl

CraigsList

In Conroy We Trust
Apr 22, 2014
USA
Point is untouchable in any realistic deal. There's no question about that, really. He's the organization's golden boy for the foreseeable future.

I mean, so is Stamkos, but I honestly think we'd try to deal Stamkos before Point. Point is like an ace up Jon Cooper's sleeve.
Right, but why would we trade a young center capable of putting up 30-30 a season consistently for someone a little older? If we were to blow up the core we’d be looking for someone like Point.

Reactions: kevrondl

blankall

Jul 4, 2007
Flames need to upgrade their 1C in the worst way. They are going absolutely nowhere with Monahan in that role.

Maybe something around Monahan + for Draisaitl? Or something with W Nylander?

Neither of those players are an upgrade on Monahan. The first line scoring in Calgary has never been their problem.

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012
Monahan + for Getzlaf :)

Mostly just playing but I could see Calgary as 1 of the few places Getzlaf would accept a trade too

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
Right, but why would we trade a young center capable of putting up 30-30 a season consistently for someone a little older? If we were to blow up the core we’d be looking for someone like Point.

A Flames fan in another thread said he'd do it. I was going off that, and that the OP (or an early post) said the Flames would be looking for a RHS on the PP. If you don't think it's fair value, that's fine. I get it. I don't know why you'd trade Monahan in general, but I didn't make the thread.

I really like Monahan's game, but we wouldn't trade Point for him. Point looks more and more every game like the guy we're going to be building around from here on out.

CraigsList

In Conroy We Trust
Apr 22, 2014
USA
A Flames fan in another thread said he'd do it. I was going off that, and that the OP (or an early post) said the Flames would be looking for a RHS on the PP. If you don't think it's fair value, that's fine. I get it. I don't know why you'd trade Monahan in general, but I didn't make the thread.

I really like Monahan's game, but we wouldn't trade Point for him. Point looks more and more every game like the guy we're going to be building around from here on out.
Relax man, I was just simply pointing out what I’d want. I know Point isn’t going anywhere lol

WhiskeyYerTheDevils

yer leadin me astray
Sponsor
Apr 27, 2005
Neither of those players are an upgrade on Monahan. The first line scoring in Calgary has never been their problem.

The first line scoring has been fine because they have Johnny Gaudreau. Monahan was the third best 5v5 player on that line last year.

Draisaitl is orders of magnitude better. Nylander is also better.

Monahan is probably the most one dimensional 1C in the league. He can't skate, he can't carry the puck, he can't create plays, and he's not great defensively. He's a complimentary player who scores almost all of his goals off of wide open chances created by his teammates. That's a nice player to have, but it can't be your 1C.

He's essentially a less physical, less intense Hornqvist who plays center.

Baksfamous112

Jul 21, 2016
Maybe you don't realize how easily that offer can be beaten? The Avs could offer Barrie+Jost and find their 2C behind Mackinnon. Not to mention all the other assets we have.

If you want a #1C you have to offer better than Poehling and Petry. I know, I know Montreal doesn't know what a center is, so it's hard for you guys to gauge their value.

He’s a 1B.. not necessarily a top C/1C. He’s more of a little bit younger/less good in FO O’Reilly.

You can laugh all you want on our C depth but we have Kotkaniemi, Poehling, Suzuki & Danault who are all 25 and under with 3 of them being in the top 50 NHL prospects and 19 or younger. You guys have a 24 years old Monahan and not much behind with 0 (literally 0) decent C prospects.

I’ll take Montreal’s C depth 10x before Calgary’s.

Lawfoster

Oct 26, 2018
I'm just curious what Sean Monahan's value is. We desperately need a positive game-changing young goalie and we could use a RHS sniper for the PP, but we've managed to solve our RHS forward problem for the most parts already. Lastly we could use another good RHD. In fact speaking of that, what would Monahan and Brodie together fetch?
Wow, trade your number 1 center that has the most goals from his draft year,sounds silly to me. Remember when Iginla had no true center, how much fun was that?? Lind Holm seems to be doing pretty good on right wing. Trade a young goalie, a upcoming defence, and prospect forward, and a good pick for a goalie.

Lawfoster

Oct 26, 2018
The first line scoring has been fine because they have Johnny Gaudreau. Monahan was the third best 5v5 player on that line last year.

Monahan is probably the most one dimensional 1C in the league. He can't skate, he can't carry the puck, he can't create plays, and he's not great defensively. He's a complimentary player who scores almost all of his goals off of wide open chances created by his teammates. That's a nice player to have, but it can't be your 1C.

Still has most goals from his draft year

Lawfoster

Oct 26, 2018

Look at Monys goals, he is a awesome goal scorer

blankall

Jul 4, 2007

What has Nylander done to make himself better? Draisaitl plays great so long as he's paired with the best player in hockey. Monahan outscores Hornqvist, who had the benefit of playing a top six that included Crosby, Malkin, Guentzel, and Kessel.

What you're saying simply isn't true. Monahan scores in all circumstances. He's done so on several occasions playing without Gaudreau. Monahan's most elite skill is goal scoring, but that's also the most important part of hockey. Gaudreau is also one of the best playmakers in the game. So having one of the most consistent trigger men works out perfectly. The Flames line is slightly non-traditional as Gaudreau, who is too small to play centre, does most of the playmaking and puck carrying. Monahan is a great fit for Gaudreau, and putting in a lesser goal scorer, even if they had better playmaking skills, would likely lead to less production.

Reactions: Wish You Were Here

blankall

Jul 4, 2007
He’s a 1B.. not necessarily a top C/1C. He’s more of a little bit younger/less good in FO O’Reilly.

You can laugh all you want on our C depth but we have Kotkaniemi, Poehling, Suzuki & Danault who are all 25 and under with 3 of them being in the top 50 NHL prospects and 19 or younger. You guys have a 24 years old Monahan and not much behind with 0 (literally 0) decent C prospects.

I’ll take Montreal’s C depth 10x before Calgary’s.

k....Danault is 25 and topped out at 40 points.

Suzuki and Poehling have yet to play an NHL game.

Do you want a pat on the back because you drafted #3 overall?

I don't think people realize how rare it is for a player of Monahan's age to already have as many goals as he does at his age.

perronist

Dec 8, 2008
Monahan + for Getzlaf :)

Mostly just playing but I could see Calgary as 1 of the few places Getzlaf would accept a trade too

are there indications that anaheim would trade getzlaf? he's exactly what the flames need but i'd go for a younger upgrade if we're trading monahan

CanadienShark

Dec 18, 2012

Trades often don't work out like that though. Many teams could have beat SJ for Karlsson, for example. The team with the best assets isn't always the team that makes the trade. That said, would the Avs really offer Barrie + Jost? That seems like a big overpayment.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad