Sean Monahan underwent four surgeries

cvrle1

Jun 24, 2017
Not a flames fan or anything, like that, but crazy to see that Monahan had 4 surgeries this season.

Reconstructive wrist surgery, surgery on both hips and surgery on his groin.

JPeeper

Hail Satan!
Jan 4, 2015
He said for the last 35 games he was basically playing with 1 wrist as the other was in pain the entire time.

Also explains why he wasn't moving as efficiently with essentially his entire lower body hurt. Hard to move the legs when the entire pelvic area is damaged.

One of dumbass Calgary reporters basically called him out for having no heart and flames fans keep calling this guy soft. Playing with 4 injuries that required surgery and he is "soft" and "no heart". Idiotic to say the least.

Plub

Part time Leaf fan
Jan 9, 2011
Arizona
That's insane. What happened to his hips and groin? What did they need to fix?

DJJones

Nov 18, 2014
Calgary
Makes sense. He was fantastic the first half of the season and then fell off a cliff.

Hope he heals fully.

tucker3434

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 7, 2007
Atlanta, GA
That’s got to be a bit scary for flames fans. The type of injuries that require hip and groin surgery tend to linger.

BLNY

Aug 3, 2004
Dartmouth, NS
That's insane. What happened to his hips and groin? What did they need to fix?

Could be no specific event and entirely based on the fact he's a tall guy and spending all that time hunched over is hard. Being longer/taller puts extra strain on joints. I don't know what his off-ice workout routine is. I'd consider moving away from free weights if he's using them. Move to plyometrics, pilates, yoga, etc. Reduce high impact exercise in favour of low impact resistance training and core strengthening. Kovalev was ahead of the curve in this regard. He'd moved to this form of training before joining the Canadiens.

It's stuff he and the team will have to keep an eye on.

The more concerning injury for me is the wrist. Not knowing which wrist it is, even once heeled it could severely hamper his shot.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
Letting a player play through those kinds of injuries in a regular season is stupidity. You're just asking for long term damage. Phaneuf was never the same after he played through some things where he shouldn't have been on the ice.

Reactions: Szechwan

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
He said for the last 35 games he was basically playing with 1 wrist as the other was in pain the entire time.

Also explains why he wasn't moving as efficiently with essentially his entire lower body hurt. Hard to move the legs when the entire pelvic area is damaged.

One of dumbass Calgary reporters basically called him out for having no heart and flames fans keep calling this guy soft. Playing with 4 injuries that required surgery and he is "soft" and "no heart". Idiotic to say the least.

Giroux got this same treatment. Played through almost the same injuries too. Play dipped. Production dipped. Then his heart and leadership was questioned. People are dumb.

Jtown

Oct 6, 2010
Fairfax, Virginia
Not a flames fan or anything, like that, but crazy to see that Monahan had 4 surgeries this season.

Reconstructive wrist surgery, surgery on both hips and surgery on his groin.

its amazing how injjuries can impact a players performance....cough cough giroux. It may take him a year to get over those hip surgerys.

Plub

Part time Leaf fan
Jan 9, 2011
Arizona
Could be no specific event and entirely based on the fact he's a tall guy and spending all that time hunched over is hard. Being longer/taller puts extra strain on joints. I don't know what his off-ice workout routine is. I'd consider moving away from free weights if he's using them. Move to plyometrics, pilates, yoga, etc. Reduce high impact exercise in favour of low impact resistance training and core strengthening. Kovalev was ahead of the curve in this regard. He'd moved to this form of training before joining the Canadiens.

It's stuff he and the team will have to keep an eye on.

The more concerning injury for me is the wrist. Not knowing which wrist it is, even once heeled it could severely hamper his shot.

Looks like it was two hernia surgeries and a grain surgery besides the wrist. So I'm not sure if there is some confusion as far as the writers not knowing what they are talking or what. I certainly wouldn't consider hernia surgeries "hip surgeries" regardless of which kind of hernia it is.

That would explain why he is more concerned with the wrist as hernia surgeries are quite common. The groin one is still curious as it seems separate from the hernia surgeries.

SmellOfVictory

Jun 3, 2011
That’s got to be a bit scary for flames fans. The type of injuries that require hip and groin surgery tend to linger.
Not sure about the hips, but maybe with the hernia surgery they can insert some of the supermesh that has made Mikael Backlund more durable recently. I'm honestly more worried about wrist reconstruction on a guy whose greatest strength is goal scoring.

Either way, the party line is "he will make a full recovery with no lingering effects expected" so I'm hoping we're not just being fed propaganda.

Ad

Latest posts

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad