Sean Monahan underwent four surgeries

FlamerForLife

Mon Seanahan
May 22, 2015
Calgary
He mentioned that the last 35 games was the worst and in those 35 games he put up 30 points. And for those asking why he was still playing, he wanted to continue to play as long as the Flames were in the race (which is stupid, his health should come first) but he was not at all forced to play like some in here are suggesting.

Plub

Part time Leaf fan
Jan 9, 2011
Arizona
That’s got to be a bit scary for flames fans. The type of injuries that require hip and groin surgery tend to linger.

I don't think there were any hip surgeries. I was looking at articles about it and they said two hernia surgeries, one groin, and one wrist surgery. There is something lost in translation somewhere. Because hernia surgeries are not in any way hip surgeries. Hip area, possibly, but not hip surgery. That would explain why his worries are focused on the wrist.

I'm curious what the groin surgery was, though, specifically.

JPeeper

Hail Satan!
Jan 4, 2015
Monahan while being interviewed said "two sports hernia surgeries", so it wasn't hip surgery. For the groin surgery he said "to loosen things up down there".

Szechwan

Sep 13, 2006
He said for the last 35 games he was basically playing with 1 wrist as the other was in pain the entire time.

Also explains why he wasn't moving as efficiently with essentially his entire lower body hurt. Hard to move the legs when the entire pelvic area is damaged.

One of dumbass Calgary reporters basically called him out for having no heart and flames fans keep calling this guy soft. Playing with 4 injuries that required surgery and he is "soft" and "no heart". Idiotic to say the least.
Idiotic is not shutting him down sooner

Reactions: Devonator

M2Beezy

Objective and Neutral Hockey Commentator
Sponsor
May 25, 2014
And people in the media were accusing him of not having 'heart'. Shameful.
So busted wrist 2 busted hips a wonky groin and doesnt have a heart man o man thats a brutal season on the body

Zirakzigil

Global Moderator
Jul 5, 2010
Canada
Monahan wasn’t shut down earlier because he wanted to keep playing. Treliving just said on the radio that Monahan didn’t want the surgeries until the off season and management had to step in. If a player is not being honest about the pain doctors can’t do much.

KPower

Jan 17, 2012
Sweet...that gives the flames an excuse not to fire Burke and his puppet.

Ol' Jase

Steaming bowls of rich, creamy justice.
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2005
Seriously, like the Klefbom situation in Edmonton, why the f*** is he even playing??

Playoff race or not, this kind of stuff can ruin a career. Shut him down and he’s even stronger to start next year. It’s simple math.

McSpecial DraiBlend

Feb 18, 2010
Kelowna, Canada
He said for the last 35 games he was basically playing with 1 wrist as the other was in pain the entire time.

Also explains why he wasn't moving as efficiently with essentially his entire lower body hurt. Hard to move the legs when the entire pelvic area is damaged.

One of dumbass Calgary reporters basically called him out for having no heart and flames fans keep calling this guy soft. Playing with 4 injuries that required surgery and he is "soft" and "no heart". Idiotic to say the least.

Was it Eric Francis?
I can't stand him.
Hopefully Monohan has a quick recovery. You guys need him in full form. I like him as a player.

MacDonald4MVP

May 7, 2016
Not a flames fan or anything, like that, but crazy to see that Monahan had 4 surgeries this season.

Reconstructive wrist surgery, surgery on both hips and surgery on his groin.

Prime candidate for next year's disappointment of the year threads.

Reactions: Devonator

lawrence

May 19, 2012
yea, we heard some rumors of how he was playing with needle shots every game or something to help with the pain? unreal.

he will recover. but props for him to stick with it.

BackWithaVengeance

Jan 19, 2008
Germany
Seriously, like the Klefbom situation in Edmonton, why the **** is he even playing??

Playoff race or not, this kind of stuff can ruin a career. Shut him down and he’s even stronger to start next year. It’s simple math.

Welcome to the NHL.

It'S the same shit when players get obviously a concussion and teams call it a upper body injury with day-to-day.

2018 here we are.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
Makes sense. He was fantastic the first half of the season and then fell off a cliff.

Hope he heals fully.
He had 30 points in his last 35 games, that is falling off a cliff?

why would the flames play him through that?

thats so dumb
It all depends on the injury. Many injuries won't be made worse by playing, so the player will put off surgery as long as they can stand the pain, Pekka Rinne had a hip problem for years before it was surgically repaired.

ijuka

May 14, 2016
Yeah, I just don't agree with playing through such injuries. He should have had the surgeries far earlier and shouldn't have been playing for all that time. Playoff race or not.

Sometimes I wish these teams thought about protecting their assets a bit further along than just the ongoing season.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad