Confirmed with Link: Sean Monahan for a 2024 1st rd pick + conditional '27 3rd rd pick

Mathil8

▌▌▌│▌▌│▌▌▌│▌▌│▌▌▌
Jul 24, 2011
Winnipeg, Manitoba
Why rush into this now and overpay for Monahan? Still a few weeks until the deadline, should have waited to see who else shook loose. I would have been unhappy to give Montreal's 2nd for Monahan let alone a 1st.

One thing about trading for Monahan is that we still have over 5m in capspace to go after another player. Is Chevy going after Chris Tanev as well? What assets would we have to give up, we already wasted our 1st this year...

tbcwpg

Jan 25, 2011
Not too bothered for a couple of reasons.

Firstly, it's just a 1st, not a 1st AND a prospect. Having Montreal's 2nd this year takes the sting out of it even more.

Secondly, while he's not a great defensive forward, the team is pretty good at that already and Monahan is pretty good at doing what the Jets lack, which is going to the net and on the PP.

AlphaLackey

Mar 21, 2013
Winnipeg, MB
I'll say this much: Chevy's track record in non-trivial trades is so good, I'm willing to give this one the benefit of the doubt, even if only because on paper it fits our biggest hole on power play. And as Nik Lyman pointed out on twitter, a potential reason for picking Monahan up specifically might be because his AAV is so low that there's more room for another addition.

So for now I'll grumble a bit about an overpay and let's see what the Rock of Saskatoon can do. Hell, I'd even laugh if he responded to his critics with "I'm sorry, what year were YOU a first round pick, again?"

Last edited:

gojetsgo

Nov 1, 2015
Why rush into this now and overpay for Monahan? Still a few weeks until the deadline, should have waited to see who else shook loose. I would have been unhappy to give Montreal's 2nd for Monahan let alone a 1st.

One thing about trading for Monahan is that we still have over 5m in capspace to go after another player. Is Chevy going after Chris Tanev as well? What assets would we have to give up, we already wasted our 1st this year...
probably wasn't much actually available out there might as well get him now before another team did

Buffdog

Feb 13, 2019
I'm not going to waste time being mad at this trade. I think it's shit asset management unless Monahan reverts to being the player he was in his early 20s, but what done is done. Hopefully he beats the odds. I'll root for him to do so.
Question for you (and anyone else panning the trade)...

What would Monahan have to do for you to consider this trade a win for us?

JohnLennon

Mar 26, 2011
Monahan quickly became my favorite player on the Habs, and I'm all-in on the Jets bandwagon now.

He is:
-excellent on faceoffs
-excellent on the powerplay
-very smart playmaker
-quite slow

Overall I think it's a fair trade and look forward to seeing how he meshes with the Jets. His lack of speed may clash with Ehlers' incredible speed, or it will complement his fantastic passing by giving him more dynamic options.

Certainly exciting for Monahan to go from playing with Armia and Slafkovsky to Perfetti and Ehlers. Curious to see if the Jets give him a shot at PP1, because I really think he would flourish there.

Cheers!

Joe Hallenback

Mar 4, 2005

Bump our PP numbers and not be shit defensively. Really if he does that its a huge win. We have been playing really good 5v5 that I think if he buys his numbers will improve their. Montreal is a pretty bad 5v5 team.

Romang67

BitterSwede
Jan 2, 2011
Evanston, IL

Change basically everything about the way he has played hockey the past 5 years. I'm not sure how to answer that question because I think Monahan is a pretty bad hockey player. It's like asking what I would want Stanley to do between now and the end of the playoffs to consider him an option for our top pairing next season.

Realistically, without changing who he is as a hockey player, I hope for extreme puck luck and that he goes on a scorcher between now and the end of the Jets playoffs. That way he won't have to drive play, and will still be a plus.
Hey, after seeing Scheifele transform his 200ft game this season, I think anything is possible.
Could happen.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad