Prospect Info: Sean Farrell, C/LW, 124th Overall

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal
Spectacular selection where he was. Beyond steal: Coup fumant.

Cole Caufield confirmed he was a steal the moment Habs drafted him.

And this was one of the picks they got from Tampa. In 2020, Habs traded one of their 2nd round picks to Tampa for a 2020 4th and a 2021 2nd.

They took Farrell with the 2020 4th and they took Oliver Kapanen with the 2021 2nd.

VirginiaMtlExpat

Second most interesting man in the world.
Aug 20, 2003
Norfolk, VA
www.odu.edu

And this was one of the picks they got from Tampa. In 2020, Habs traded one of their 2nd round picks to Tampa for a 2020 4th and a 2021 2nd.

They took Farrell with the 2020 4th and they took Oliver Kapanen with the 2021 2nd.

Tampa got Jack Finley there, who was good value (especially with Danault now gone). It would be intriguing to have a defensive center of that caliber and size in the system. Farrell helps to alleviate that lost opportunity.

Whitesnake

If you rebuild, they will come.
Jan 5, 2003
Tampa got Jack Finley there, who was good value (especially with Danault now gone). It would be intriguing to have a defensive center of that caliber and size in the system. Farrell helps to alleviate that lost opportunity.

You think that this is what Poehling is suppose to become.

Reactions: Habs Halifax

dcyhabs

May 30, 2008
Montreal
To a degree. Finley comes with a reputation as suffocating opposing centers his age, even elite talents, and he is more massive than Poehling. But your point is well taken. I can certainly see why the Lightning traded up for him though.

Thing is if a guy is a defensive center in junior he probably doesn't have the talent to jump a couple of leagues. Most of the defensive stars in the NHL were scoring stars in junior.

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
CH: génie à Harvard, génie sur la patinoire - TVA Sports

Says that he will sign a contract whenever the Habs think he's ready to turn pro. Did his Harvard classes online while playing at the USHL.

since the writer of the article brought up Harris staying for 4 years, just want to make sure posters compare that correctly since Harris just turned 18 a few months before his NCAA career started, whereas Farrell will turn 20 a few weeks into his NCAA career (I haven't seen a schedule for them yet, usually it's late Oct or early Nov) so if Farrell had wanted to stay 4 years he would be 25 when his first full pro season started (or a month into it to be exact) whereas Harris will turn 22 in his first full pro season.

VirginiaMtlExpat

Second most interesting man in the world.
Aug 20, 2003
Norfolk, VA
www.odu.edu
Thing is if a guy is a defensive center in junior he probably doesn't have the talent to jump a couple of leagues. Most of the defensive stars in the NHL were scoring stars in junior.
That's the adage. I guess we'll see. I think he carves out the same role as Danault eventually. With more grit.

Last edited:
Reactions: dcyhabs

Pompeius Magnus

May 18, 2014
Kanata ,ON
since the writer of the article brought up Harris staying for 4 years, just want to make sure posters compare that correctly since Harris just turned 18 a few months before his NCAA career started, whereas Farrell will turn 20 a few weeks into his NCAA career (I haven't seen a schedule for them yet, usually it's late Oct or early Nov) so if Farrell had wanted to stay 4 years he would be 25 when his first full pro season started (or a month into it to be exact) whereas Harris will turn 22 in his first full pro season.
I wonder if he'll be used only as a center with Harvard. He certainly has the vision and passing ability for the position and I'd like to see him get a lot of reps as a C.

Last edited:
Reactions: bopeep and Dutronc

TesseractPrice

Aug 1, 2019
What are reasonable estimates for his first season in Harvard? Will he play on the top 6 right away? Would a 0.6-0.8 PPG pace be good for him?

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
What are reasonable estimates for his first season in Harvard? Will he play on the top 6 right away? Would a 0.6-0.8 PPG pace be good for him?

too early to say as they have a lot of young players and didn't have a season last year so it's really hard to guess at this point as to where he will play (top 6 or not).

As for points, if he's in the top 6, and PP, a .6/.8 ppg would be solid for sure. If they play around 27 games, you would like to see him get at least 20 pts or be top 3 or so in pts among forwards. If he's a 3rd liner and 2nd PP then maybe close to 20 pts

dcyhabs

May 30, 2008
Montreal

So Farrell put up great numbers in the USHL but he's also a year or two older than most significant prospects who would play in the league in a non-COVID year. His evaluations will drop a lot if he doesn't hit the ground running in the NCAA.

McGuires Corndog

Pierre's favorite MONSTER performer
Sponsor
Feb 6, 2008
Montreal
So Farrell put up great numbers in the USHL but he's also a year or two older than most significant prospects who would play in the league in a non-COVID year. His evaluations will drop a lot if he doesn't hit the ground running in the NCAA.

You still need to consider he needs to adapt to a new league, but I agree I think he needs to go almost PPG in order for him live to the hype some are hoping he can live up to.

0.7-0.8ppg would be a solid first campaign for him in my eyes.

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com

it's tough because Harvard didn't play at all last season so guys that would have been Sophmores, are now in the same boat as Freshman, in that neither have any NCAA experience, so I don't know how the coach is going to handle that in regards to his TOI and usage. We'll see what happens, will be very interesting for sure.

KevSkillz4

Apr 11, 2016
If he can put point per game at his first NCAA season, that would be massive and going to indicate that he have potential to become a pretty good player in NHL.

Can't wait to see what he can do at better level... he is a 1st round talent, no doubt.

KevSkillz4

Apr 11, 2016
The most talented forward prospect we have, no doubt.

If he put PPG this year at NCAA level, that would be really good.

He seems to have a big hockey IQ, great hands, great skating ability, the talent is there... just need to prove that he can product at higher level.

Treb

Global Flanderator
May 31, 2011
Montreal
How come he is not in out top 10 prospects?

I mean, he was ranked #11 so it's not like he's far down.

Because usually the ones putting the lists out have no idea what they’re talking about.

Or maybe because he played against lower competition on a boosted team and people want to see if he can sustain his production against fairer competition.

Who in the top10 is clearly below Farell in your opinion?
1. Kaiden Guhle, 72.6% (+3)
2. Mattias Norlinder, 37.2% (+1)
3. Ryan Poehling, 37.4% (+3)
4. Logan Mailloux, 38.7% (NA)
5. Cayden Primeau, 68.7% (-)
6. Jordan Harris, 38.1% (+1)
7. Jayden Struble, 28.0% [Tiebreaker 52.9%] (+3)
8. Jesse Ylonen, 62.5% (+3)
9. Luke Tuch, 42.2% (+5)
10. Jan Mysak, 35.8% (-2)
11. Sean Farrell, 60.4% (+5)

KevSkillz4

Apr 11, 2016
When he is going to play his first at NCAA level? Can't wait what he can put. If he can have PPG season... that's going to show that he got a really great potential.

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018

it was a great pick.

But every time I think of what a steal it was, I think why the heck did we not take Brett Berard. Another American kid (Timmins said he was looking there in the mid rounds). 5'9 like Farrell, but was the leading scorer on the USNDTP team that Luke Tuch was on. He's 1 year younger than Farrell, ended up making the world junior team that Farrell and Tuch got cut from, and now has 3g, 5 pts in the first 3 games of the NCAA season. And he went in the 5th round!

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad