Prospect Info: Sean Farrell, C/LW, 124th Overall

shao01

Aug 25, 2008
Montreal
The best part is Farrell have been selected at 4th round, #124. Johnny Gaudreau, 5"9 like Farrell, have been selected at... 4th round, #104.

Caufield can easily become the next DeBrincat.

Maybe Farrell can become the next Gaudreau?

That would be very amazing for the futur!!!

5'-9" and 5'-7" players on the same line? Has this ever been done in the NHL before?
Gionta and Gomez used to play on the same line. Granted Gionta was a bit taller at 5'11. I believe Debrincat and Kane plays on the same line in Chicago but I could be wrong

I know he hasn't done much in the upper pros league I just get this feeling he will be a good player regardless.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Gionta and Gomez used to play on the same line. Granted Gionta was a bit taller at 5'11. I believe Debrincat and Kane plays on the same line in Chicago but I could be wrong

I know he hasn't done much in the upper pros league I just get this feeling he will be a good player regardless.

Basically, when you have that situation, they are great talents and upper tier of the NHL. Seems rare but maybe others find more examples

Reactions: shao01

Rockomax

Jan 16, 2007
Mtl

Gionta is 5'7", not 5'11"

Reactions: Habs Halifax

GravelTheOne

Jun 5, 2007
Alma, Québec

Gionta is 5'7.

Andy

Jun 26, 2008
Montreal
Good find! I don't hate small players but with my coaching experience, I always limit their exposure to bigger players... unless they can prove me wrong.
Then there is always the Point, Kucherov, Palat line. Supposedly they are 5'10, 5'11 and 6'0 respectively, but I have a hard time believing point and Kucherov are their listed heights.

Reactions: dcyhabs

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Then there is always the Point, Kucherov, Palat line. Supposedly they are 5'10, 5'11 and 6'0 respectively, but I have a hard time believing point and Kucherov are their listed heights.

In the cases where you see it, it's very good talent. Not going to dump on Farell but I wanna see a full NCAA year before I feel he can play with Caufield down the road in the NHL.

He would be a grade C to me at this point even if he had a good USHL season. If he does it again in the NCAA at age 19/20, I'll bump him up to grade B. Got to wait and see more on him than others.

Reactions: bopeep

shamrun

Jun 5, 2008
vancouver
I hope we don't do it again. Teams that have prolonged success shelter and limit how many soft or undersized players they got.

Regular season accomplishments vs Playoffs. It's easy to be fooled into that trap

I think bergevin gets it. It is really impressive that caufield was consistently a threat during the run. Shelter him properly.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
I think bergevin gets it. It is really impressive that caufield was consistently a threat during the run. Shelter him properly.

Our management does understand that more than fans for sure. And yes, he forced his wan on our roster and produced. He's smart and knows the style of game he needs to play. I love how stealth he is when he gets in open space.

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
I hope we don't do it again. Teams that have prolonged success shelter and limit how many soft or undersized players they got.

Regular season accomplishments vs Playoffs. It's easy to be fooled into that trap

I don't mind more undersized players if they can play. But we can't have any soft players at all. Drouin has to go.

Undersized forwards seem to be doing well in the playoffs too. But, the trend seems to be, you need big D.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
I don't mind more undersized players if they can play. But we can't have any soft players at all. Drouin has to go.

I'm a strong believer in the right mix of players and I liked the moves we made last off season. Bergevin knows what's up but can he improve our mix again? We will see about that.

PMD at LD and a scoring LW are team needs. I'd be careful with this cause I feel those types needs size/skating as well.

JAVO16

Sep 21, 2008
Montréal
Good find! I don't hate small players but with my coaching experience, I always limit their exposure to bigger players... unless they can prove me wrong.

They might also be centered by Kotkaniemi who will hopefully have bloomed offensively by that point while also possibly becoming an imposing physical presence on the ice.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
They might also be centered by Kotkaniemi who will hopefully have bloomed offensively by that point while also possibly becoming an imposing physical presence on the ice.

I hope Kotkaniemi improves his skating and lower body strength. I think his game changes dramically if he does. I just think it will take longer than expected and I fear our fan base will be all over him cause we are impatient. Hope he has thick skin

But yeah, if he does, he can use a fast skating winger who has vision and can score

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
I'm a strong believer in the right mix of players and I liked the moves we made last off season. Bergevin knows what's up but can he improve our mix again? We will see about that.

PMD at LD and a scoring LW are team needs. I'd be careful with this cause I feel those types needs size/skating as well.

I agree with you about our needs.

But since we only got Toffoli because he fell to us at a bargain bin price, I'm not holding my breath on MB acquiring a skilled forward - which I think we really need.

I don't think you can be as t a good skilled team with Lehkonen and Byron in the top 9. But I suspect MB sees it differently.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
I agree with you about our needs.

But since we only got Toffoli because he fell to us at a bargain bin price, I'm not holding my breath on MB acquiring a skilled forward - which I think we really need.

I don't think you can be as t a good skilled team with Lehkonen and Byron in the top 9. But I suspect MB sees it differently.

We are stuck until we get to insert more guys like Suzuki and Caufield. Toffoli was a bit of luck. We agree there. But where I don't agree is thinking that we can unload Lehkonon and Byron but also add the key UFA we target at the same time. I'll believe it when I see it so until then, I feel we need to tinker with one move at a time as the opportunities present themselves. Some don't have patience for that... something to do with 9 years on the job narrative

We even had to add a pick on top of Domi to get Anderson. There was a lot of talk on how the Blue Jackets were the ones who should have added. Those pieces we are after are rare to acquire

yianik

Jun 30, 2009
You can fit in most any kind of player as long as you have the complementary players to go with him.

But the fact hockey is a physical game always means the make up of a team has to include a size component and the willingness to use it. Especially at play off time.

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
We are stuck until we get to insert more guys like Suzuki and Caufield. Toffoli was a bit of luck. We agree there. But where I don't agree is thinking that we can unload Lehkonon and Byron but also add the key UFA we target at the same time. I'll believe it when I see it so until then, I feel we need to tinker with one move at a time as the opportunities present themselves. Some don't have patience for that... something to do with 9 years on the job narrative

We even had to add a pick on top of Domi to get Anderson. There was a lot of talk on how the Blue Jackets were the ones who should have added. Those pieces we are after are rare to acquire

I'm fine with keeping Lehk and Byron for the 4th line.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad