Sean Couturier

Alpha Couturier
Feb 28, 2005
Chester, UK
I think he's got the potential to reach 60. The kid's got mad moves, he just needs to learn to finish it. He tends to fall apart at the easiest part.

Reactions: Curufinwe

Damaged Goods

Feb 26, 2009
Philadelphia
B. Schenn (21)

-Just broke out this year (which a lot of us knew was bound to happen despite fear from impatient people)
-age 17 - 88 points in WHL
-age 18 - 99 points in WHL
-PPG player in AHL
-Involved in threads about being overrated

Couts (barely 20)
-age 17 - 96 points in QMJHL
-age 18 - 96 points in QMJHL
-almost PPG player in AHL

The tools are there. Give Couts 1-1/2 - 2 more seasons and better linemates. There is a good case to be made for moving him up in the line up so he does not stagnate. One has to get used to having better / more reliable weapons.

He's got Gagne and Read now. That's a better situation.

WeekendAtBernies

Jun 27, 2011
Philadelphia, PA
I think he's got the potential to reach 60. The kid's got mad moves, he just needs to learn to finish it. He tends to fall apart at the easiest part.

60 in a career year isn't out of reach IMO. I think he'll average around 50 though. Some seasons in the 40s, some perhaps approaching or slightly eclipsing 60, but averaging 50, not the 70 some on here keep going on about.

achdumeingute

Jun 28, 2011
NorCal
Which is why I said I'm not pin-holing him in to a purely defensive center like Goc. I think a 50 point #2C is absolutely fair. He just doesn't have the tools to be a 70 point #1C as some on here have suggested though.

If you disagree, that's your prerogative.
what tools is he missing? I think your projection is his floor.

The only thing I don't think he does well fundamentally is skate...he's not a fast skater. If he can grow into his frame he is going to be a lot of trouble for opponents.

I think his roster spot will determine his point totals more than his talent.

jabba2

Oct 28, 2010
He gets plenty of chances but like other said, Couturier cannot finish right now. Its getting frustrating to watch. I still think he has 30 goal potential.

Reactions: Curufinwe

sa cyred

Running Data Models
Sep 11, 2007
SJ
Played at times with Fedotenko and Rinaldo, aka dog ****

He played with Read and Gagne for 2 1/2 periods. Gagne got it to him TWICE in the middle and he flubbed on it.

Gagne hasnt been good either but Couturiers, offensively, looks atrocious.

BringBackHakstol

Oct 25, 2005
Philadelphia
He played with Read and Gagne for 2 1/2 periods. Gagne got it to him TWICE in the middle and he flubbed on it.

Gagne hasnt been good either but Couturiers, offensively, looks atrocious.

He's fine. His linemates have sucked most of the season and yes, he's struggling offensively. It's the sophmore slump that happens to basically everyone

sa cyred

Running Data Models
Sep 11, 2007
SJ
He's fine. His linemates have sucked most of the season and yes, he's struggling offensively. It's the sophmore slump that happens to basically everyone

Oh I agree about the slump, but I wouldnt consider his play as fine currently. I say abit below average.

PayItForward

Aug 18, 2012
Claude Giroux went on one (until he broke out during the playoffs), RNH is going through it, Jordan Staal went through it, etc.

It happens.

Okay? The poster said that sophomore slumps happen to everyone and that's not even close to being true.

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
The key is to keep him as the 3rd line C next year...and get him to sign a 3 year bridge contract. Then the following year...have him as #2C...with Schenn and Simmonds on his line. Let that line grow into a beast #2 line...all playing better than their contracts.

WeekendAtBernies

Jun 27, 2011
Philadelphia, PA
Claude Giroux went on one (until he broke out during the playoffs), RNH is going through it, Jordan Staal went through it, etc.

It happens.

Going from 27 points in 42 games to 47 points in 82 games isn't exactly a "sophomore slump" It's slightly off his rookie year pace, but he didn't play a full rookie year, and 47 points in 82 games is still pretty impressive for a 21 year old.

I dunno how you classify Couturier as a sophomore slump either... he had 27 points rookie year, he's pacing for 25 now? It's not the stats that are missing, it's the complete lack of quality in his offensive game that's the problem for me. He's not an elite level offensive player @ the NHL level. I'll stand by that. He's a 50 point #2C w/ elite D. Might touch 60 or more in a career year or two.

SolidSnakeUS

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 13, 2009
Baldwinsville, NY
The key is to keep him as the 3rd line C next year...and get him to sign a 3 year bridge contract. Then the following year...have him as #2C...with Schenn and Simmonds on his line. Let that line grow into a beast #2 line...all playing better than their contracts.

Will Laughton even be up for the 3rd line center position or will he be in the AHL full time?

Philadelphia Ducks

Win it for Ed
May 8, 2011
Ontario, Canada

Problem with that is Schenn looks a mile better playing centre than wing ;/

WeekendAtBernies

Jun 27, 2011
Philadelphia, PA
How isn't it? It's happened to pretty much every high profile flyer in recent memory, to some extent, for one

Brayden Schenn? No.
Mike Richards? No.
Jeff Carter? No.
JVR? No.

I've seen one high profile Flyer (Giroux) who had his stats regress from rookie year to sophomore year. And even still, none of the above players had less than 40 pts per 82 games their sophomore year.

Brozgalov

May 11, 2010
Bucks County, PA
Everyone talks about sophmore slumps without actually thinking about why it might happen. IMO this is 100% a sophmore slump and here is why...

I've played sports more then half my life and followed them my entire life. This doesn't even apply to just sports, but jobs ... anywhere! When you are put into a position where nothing is expected of you, some players/workers/whatever will rise above the rest and surprise people. They have 0 pressure and they thrive. Suddenly Couturier is looked at as a backbone for this team at 20 and he isn't playing that well. I look at this entire team and see a bunch of young guys that need to gain experience. It's easy for us to look at how skilled they are and say they should be winning, but the way they are losing is 100% a mindset thing and it will be fixed with time.

Clearly we need additional pieces... a true # dman would be nice obviously. My point is.. Couturier isn't playing particulary well right now, but to get upset about it as a fan is a bit ridiculous. We got lucky with him playing the way he did last season, and although I see greatness in him like everyone else, I feel like people got way to carried away with him.

He's a good player and has the potential to be great. I've seen glimpses in his game very much the same way we saw them with Giroux, but think about how many years were in between Giroux showing glimpses and him breaking out. The ice time helped, but experience was the key factor IMO. We need everyone to gain experience and the core needs to stay together as a team. Giroux/Hartnell/Simmonds/Voracek/Schenn/Schenn/Couturier etc all need to stick on this team and just grow into a unit.

Looking back that was a hodge podge of ranting... im tired...

BringBackHakstol

Oct 25, 2005
Philadelphia
Brayden Schenn? No.
Mike Richards? No.
Jeff Carter? No.
JVR? No.

I've seen one high profile Flyer (Giroux) who had his stats regress from rookie year to sophomore year. And even still, none of the above players had less than 40 pts per 82 games their sophomore year.

It's not really about declining production but more about the fact that second year players don't usually advance their production in the way so many fans predict them to based on a promising rookie year. That's what the sophmore slump is to me.

Except for Carter those guys all pretty much stagnated production wise. You can add RJ Umberger as another one.

And obviously saying that "everyone" falls into that isn't accurate. It was an over exageration

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Couturier plays too scared to fail in my opinion. Almost like JVR was doing, he doesn't think he's good enough to do things in the NHL that he could in juniors. Offensively, he doesn't even bother going to the net.

Psuhockey

Nov 17, 2010
Brayden Schenn? No.
Mike Richards? No.
Jeff Carter? No.
JVR? No.

All those players were older than Couturier when they first played in the NHL. A year or two makes a huge difference physically.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad