Sean Couturier

Johnk0728

Dec 28, 2016
Keep in mind that until mid-January they lacked depth at Center because Patrick was playing & producing at a snail’s pace; Provorov was playing very poorly, Myers wasn’t up (I blame that much more on Hextall), the goaltending had been atrocious pre-Hart, Ghost having a very down season, Simmonds a wreck at ES.... this team had a lot of problems.

Exactly....but Weise, Weal, Leier, Lehtera, Frolin, MacDonald were all not just on the roster but playing. None fo these guys are legit NHL players anymore. They aren't average NHL players like Raffl. They aren't NHL level players anymore. Add that to bad goaltending and you get a last place team. Hextall didn't know how to form an NHL roster and the worst part was he failed because he didn't trust his own drafted players. If he just played the kids and fired his kids college coach; he would still be the GM.

FlyerFaithful17

Feb 24, 2015
Keep in mind that until mid-January they lacked depth at Center because Patrick was playing & producing at a snail’s pace; Provorov was playing very poorly, Myers wasn’t up (I blame that much more on Hextall), the goaltending had been atrocious pre-Hart, Ghost having a very down season, Simmonds a wreck at ES.... this team had a lot of problems.
I fail to follow your point. The organization has talent. The fact that they played poorly is aggravating. It sounds like you’re agreeing with me?

baudib1

Apr 12, 2016
Las Vegas
I watch the games.... I have half-season tickets and rarely miss a game on TV. If you cant see Couturier's progression than you are blind. I don't give a flying **** about the analytics as they are overused a lot. All I know is when #14 is on the ice; as a fan you feel calmer. Which is odd for a forward; usually that's for a d-man like Desjardins and Pronger. When Giroux and Couturier are out there; you have two of the best faceoff men in the NHL. If Hextall/Hakstol were fired in the summer. We would be worrying about seeding not making the Playoffs. This team is talented. And we have some more young talent coming. And we have Mr. Carter Hart. I cant till next season......this is what an upcoming team feels and looks like.

This is a good post. I had a conversation with a friend similar to this 4-5 years ago. I said if you watch, the Flyers get hemmed in their own zone all the time but that almost never happens when Couts is on the ice. He's actually a fantastic transition player, which is not often mentioned about him. He's just always in the right place and knows what to do with the puck in all situations.

Reactions: Beef Invictus

Ghosts Beer

I saw Goody Fletcher with the Devil!
Feb 10, 2014
I fail to follow your point. The organization has talent. The fact that they played poorly is aggravating. It sounds like you’re agreeing with me?
I’m saying the roster until maybe mid-January, when Hart & Patrick got going, or maybe even until the Myers call up, wasn’t as good as you’re insinuating.

Something was physically wrong with their #1 D. Their supposed #2 D looked slow & struggling big time. They didn’t have depth at C because of NP. They were playing guys like Stolarz, Pickard, McKenna & Neuvirth in net. Elliott was hurt. Hagg, AMac, Weise, Lehtera, Weal, Simmonds were all roster players.

That certainly doesn’t add up to a team that should be above the playoff bubble in a tight league.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
The kids weren't ready, they're still playing Varone and Knight instead of Weise, Weal and Lehtera. Not much of an upgrade.
They're still juggling the top three lines, the third pair defense is a disaster, Myers is climbing the learning curve.

What makes Couts special is he makes his linemates better, a lot of top scorers around the league can't do that.
Not just in the O-zone, but his smarts and ability to match up with top centers provides cover for his forwards.
That's what I'm hoping for with Patrick and eventually Frost and Rubtsov.
If you have smart two way centers, it's much easier to mix and match forwards.

Starat327

Top .01% OnlyHands
Sponsor
May 8, 2011
Philadelphia, Pa
It wasn't as good in large part because the coach did all he could to play bad talent as much as possible, while a GM who was deficient at scouting NHL talent enabled him.

And yet, we'll still seem some garbage about how we're playing bad players like Varone , but somehow now we're winning. What an odd concept.

Edit: Welp, beat me to the punch.

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
The kids weren't ready, they're still playing Varone and Knight instead of Weise, Weal and Lehtera. Not much of an upgrade.
They're still juggling the top three lines, the third pair defense is a disaster, Myers is climbing the learning curve.

What makes Couts special is he makes his linemates better, a lot of top scorers around the league can't do that.
Not just in the O-zone, but his smarts and ability to match up with top centers provides cover for his forwards.
That's what I'm hoping for with Patrick and eventually Frost and Rubtsov.
If you have smart two way centers, it's much easier to mix and match forwards.

Varone and Knight aren't being grossly overused in key situations. THAT makes a ton of difference.

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
It wasn't as good in large part because the coach did all he could to play bad talent as much as possible, while a GM who was deficient at scouting NHL talent enabled him.

Hak was a Trojan Horse.

Hextall would give him a roster and he would do everything in his power to maximize their probability of losing the game.

Ruck Over

When the revolution comes, pants will do you no gd
Apr 19, 2016
Philadelphia, Pa
So if it was a covert tank job, I guess G and Ghost kinda f***ed that all up by having great years last year. So it would've been in Hak's and Hex's best interest if the two of them didn't get the necessary surgeries. Because without them playing peak performance, the expectations would've been much lower.

First the Flyers medical staff f***s up by almost killing Lindros. Then they f*** up by getting G and Ghost all healed up. These guys, #amirite?

Starat327

Top .01% OnlyHands
Sponsor
May 8, 2011
Philadelphia, Pa
So if it was a covert tank job, I guess G and Ghost kinda ****ed that all up by having great years last year. So it would've been in Hak's and Hex's best interest if the two of them didn't get the necessary surgeries. Because without them playing peak performance, the expectations would've been much lower.

First the Flyers medical staff ****s up by almost killing Lindros. Then they **** up by getting G and Ghost all healed up. These guys, #amirite?

Doctors take a Hippocratic oath. I believe they wanted to act in the patient's best interests. The coaching staff? I got nothing.

Reactions: Rebels57

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad