Sean Couturier Part IV (2019-20 Selke Trophy Winner)

prototypical4thliner

Jan 12, 2017
I don’t necessarily think that it’s clean cut one is better than the other. Coots clearly impacts the game in more facets than g, in my opinion. Coots can neutralize the opponents top line unlike few other forwards whilst still providing first line offense. G’s peak offense is more potent and explosive. But I think g is more likely to be negated by other teams top forwards. Good to have both.

Reactions: AdamParrot

Ruck Over

When the revolution comes, pants will do you no gd
Apr 19, 2016
Philadelphia, Pa
Megaphone: A Modern Podcasting Platform by Panoply

I would expect that, going forward, Couts will generally be better than Giroux. It's possible he'll have more years like last season, where he's a top 5 MVP candidate. This season, Giroux has still been great, but probably more like a top 30 player, while Couts has been a top 10-20 guy.
That's fair, and highly agreeable.

Best case scenario for Giroux is following a path similar to Steve Yzerman. Got all of his team success late, and having been a top dog was decidedly not the best player (forward) on the team when winning Cups.

Striiker

Former Flyers Fan
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
I'd definitely say Giroux is still our best player.

The offensive gap would be more clear, like last years, if it wasn't for the coaches f***ing the PP, Giroux spending a ton of time on a broken 5v5 line for no reason, and being constantly stuck with Hagg. He’s playing even better than his scoring would suggest.

G scored more at even strength last year and is again scoring more this year, despite the coaches sabotage... and obviously the PP scoring is not even remotely close. His offense is unmatched and that's too important to ignore.

But it's super close because Couturier is amazing too. If I were to make up video game ratings for each of them, it'd probably be something like Giroux 95, Couturier 93.

Ghosts Beer

I saw Goody Fletcher with the Devil!
Feb 10, 2014
Couturier is the most important player on the team, no question in my mind. Last year’s playoffs showed it. I think his play this season has showed it, also, considering the team’s record after he got over his injury & went on a scoring tear.

baudib1

Apr 12, 2016
Las Vegas
Giroux is still an elite point scorer, playmaker, FO guy, and, we assume, elite PP QB, who can play all 3 forward positions.

He's still a great play driver, but he doesn't carry every combination you throw him out there with, as we saw with JVR-Giroux-TK. It's probably a combination of short slump, bad matchups and fit, and a system that doesn't really favor JVR.

Couturier makes every line he plays on dominant these days.

Striiker

Former Flyers Fan
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
Giroux is still an elite point scorer, playmaker, FO guy, and, we assume, elite PP QB, who can play all 3 forward positions.

He's still a great play driver, but he doesn't carry every combination you throw him out there with, as we saw with JVR-Giroux-TK. It's probably a combination of short slump, bad matchups and fit, and a system that doesn't really favor JVR.

Couturier makes every line he plays on dominant these days.
Not true.

Up until that Lindblom-Couturier-Voracek line was put together, Couts had 32 points in 42 games (62 point pace).
After it was put together, 33 points in 25 games (108 point pace).

He's been absolutely on fire since that point, but that's made people forget his relatively slow start to the year.

Meanwhile...
Before that JVR-G-TK line, Giroux had 48 points in 44 games
While on that line, 15 points in 18 games
And since being saved from that line, 10 points in 7 games.
In other words, 58 points in 51 games (93 point pace) when not on that broken line, but still with jumbled lines and while playing all three positions.

So if anything, Giroux has been the more consistently dominant player.

baudib1

Apr 12, 2016
Las Vegas
Not true.

Up until that Lindblom-Couturier-Voracek line was put together, Couts had 32 points in 42 games (62 point pace).

He's been absolutely on fire since that point, but that's made people forget his relatively slow start to the year.

Meanwhile...
Before that JVR-G-TK line, Giroux had 48 points in 44 games
While on that line, 15 points in 18 games
And since being saved from that line, 10 points in 7 games.
In other words, 58 points in 51 games (93 point pace) when not on that broken line, but still with jumbled lines and while playing all three positions.

So if anything, Giroux has been the more consistently dominant player.

I'm not talking about scoring. The JVR-Giroux-TK line was legitimately bad. Giroux himself played poorly throughout that stretch. JVR's possession numbers are actually better away from Giroux than with him, and he's been playing with a lot of 3rd-line players this year.

Striiker

Former Flyers Fan
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
I'm not talking about scoring. The JVR-Giroux-TK line was legitimately bad. Giroux himself played poorly throughout that stretch. JVR's possession numbers are actually better away from Giroux than with him, and he's been playing with a lot of 3rd-line players this year.
The point is Couturier doesn’t carry every combination he plays on or make every line dominant, as you claimed.

Giroux has done a better job than Couturier at that.

The fact that the only time Giroux wasn’t dominating was when he was with that broken line proves that the problem was the combination of players, not Giroux. Before that line and after that line, he was dominant, even with many different combinations and playing all 3 spots. Meanwhile Couturier only reached a dominant level once with a specific combination, which has mostly remained together.

As for JVR, yeah, of course his numbers are better when on the 3rd line and playing against much worse players. He didn't belong on that top line and was the big reason it didn't work.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Not true.

You mean the month he lost to the MCL injury where he rushed back to help the team?
October 12g 4-0 4 -4
Since 57g 24-39 63 +16

Reactions: FlyerEra2010

Juicy Pop

BONK
Apr 26, 2014
Scranton, PA
It's almost hard to process just how reserved and efficient his game is visually. That little board pass was probably the flashiest thing I've seen from him all year.

Jtown

Oct 6, 2010
Fairfax, Virginia
It's almost hard to process just how reserved and efficient his game is visually. That little board pass was probably the flashiest thing I've seen from him all year.

there is no sex to his game its all meat and potatoes and he doesn't cheat at one end to be in better position at the other end, something that I can't say about a lot of our forwards.

Reactions: Tripod and mmvvpp

Deadpool8812

Feb 10, 2018
The only way he doesn't win the Selke this season is the bias from the voters towards past winners

Branko

Jul 5, 2011
Is this the year he wins the Selke? I would think Mark Stone has got to be the favorite.

AdamParrot

Mar 10, 2015
D173PNFX4AA0PNe.jpg

5-on-5:
CF%: 53,25
FF%: 54,44
SF%: 53,65
xGF%: 54,50
OFF-Zone starts: 44,49%

69 points in 70 games
He had 4 points in first 12 games due the month he lost to the MCL injury.
Since then:
58 games: 25-40 = 65 points

+14 (for voters who look at this shit stat)
SH TOI: 165:34 (most between Bergeron, Barkov, ROR, Crosby)

He is incredible.

Who should win Selke this year? My favourite duo is Couturier and ROR.

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
Coots at the very least deserves a nomination, but just like Giroux was snubbed for a Hart nod last year, Coots might get snubbed this year.

Reactions: AdamParrot

Ghosts Beer

I saw Goody Fletcher with the Devil!
Feb 10, 2014
Couturier is legitimately one of the very best players in the NHL. He processes the game as well as any player I’ve ever seen. His deception defensively is uncanny. Most players don’t even make the effort; he, on the other hand, fools puck carriers into bad plays all of the time.

Jtown

Oct 6, 2010
Fairfax, Virginia
Couturier is legitimately one of the very best players in the NHL. He processes the game as well as any player I’ve ever seen. His deception defensively is uncanny. Most players don’t even make the effort; he, on the other hand, fools puck carriers into bad plays all of the time.

i can't count how many times puckhandlers miscalculate the radius he covers. He plays it casual and then when you're in striking distance he poke checks the opponent.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad