Sean Couturier Part IV (2019-20 Selke Trophy Winner)

Ghosts Beer

I saw Goody Fletcher with the Devil!
Feb 10, 2014
IQ is definitely right, smartest guy we had since pronger. He is just a different level—chess two moves ahead whilst other players are playing checkers. The interesting thing to prognosticate on is his next contract way down the road. He doesn’t use speed, he isn’t an overtly physical guy playing above his weight class. He is going to age very well. What do you give him at age 30 (I think) when he is an ufa?
I agree he processes the game at a Forsberg/Pronger elite level.

I hope he ages well. He takes an absolute beating, though, because he plays a 200 ft. game & never shies away from dirty areas. The man battles his ass off but he’s had many a nagging injury (that he always tries to play through). I don’t know how long he’ll be able to sustain his offense at this level.

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
I agree he processes the game at a Forsberg/Pronger elite level.

I hope he ages well. He takes an absolute beating, though, because he plays a 200 ft. game & never shies away from dirty areas. The man battles his ass off but he’s had many a nagging injury (that he always tries to play through). I don’t know how long he’ll be able to sustain his offense at this level.
Another reason why we should be looking to add to the current lineup to become a top 10 team next year. We have G and Couts for 3 more years. Let's get them help to take advantage of it.

AdamParrot

Mar 10, 2015
Couts can to play in NHL until his 38 or something like that I think. He is just f***ing smart.

Laveuglette

Le meilleur receveur de passes de tous les temps
Apr 5, 2011
Quebec
The nice thing about Couturier is that he's only 26, meaning that he still potentially has many years in him at this level of play. He is valuable now, and will also be very valuable in the next years when we actually make the playoffs.

Magua

Entirely Palatable Product
Apr 25, 2016
Huron of the Lakes
Another reason why we should be looking to add to the current lineup to become a top 10 team next year. We have G and Couts for 3 more years. Let's get them help to take advantage of it.

Stop trying to rationalize not signing Coots to another contract. :p:

Reactions: Tripod

Ghosts Beer

Feb 10, 2014
I’d go for Duchene & Karlsson, like when Fletcher signed Parise & Suter, & similar to Briere & Timonen.

Ghosts Beer

Feb 10, 2014
Duchene is typically a 60 point guy who is going to want 8+ million. I pass.
Best available skill forward after Panarin, & Panarin’s not coming here.

Plus, Duchene can play C, which is huge, letting Patrick play 3C, & Duchene can eventually move to W if needed. He also gives the Flyers the type of speed/skill combo they sorely lack.

Reactions: AdamParrot

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
Best available skill forward after Panarin, & Panarin’s not coming here.

Plus, Duchene can play C, which is huge, letting Patrick play 3C, & Duchene can eventually move to W if needed. He also gives the Flyers the type of speed/skill combo they sorely lack.
I know who Duchene is and what he can do. It still doesn't mean that I want to pay him 8+ million just to watch him fall back to being a 60 point guy again.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Duchene will be 29, figure 4 good seasons at 45-55 ES points then 3 seasons where he's 2nd/3rd line talent from 33-35.
So he might be worth $8M the first four years and $5M the last three, do you think he'll sign for 7yr, $49M?
Other problem is he'll probably want a NMC, no way with the ED coming up, you'll want to expose some high priced forwards to make room for RFA deals.

prototypical4thliner

Jan 12, 2017
I know who Duchene is and what he can do. It still doesn't mean that I want to pay him 8+ million just to watch him fall back to being a 60 point guy again.
Also have to consider our pipeline. Does someone pop out as a good chance to replicate that production? Frost and farabee both should... we do not have a panarin. I’m content going for bust for karlsson and panarin. If we strike out, we strike out swinging for the fences.

Ghosts Beer

Feb 10, 2014
I wasn’t accusing you of not knowing who Duchene is; rather, I was citing my reasoning for targeting him. And, as @AdamParrot said, I’d rather pay Duchene $8M+ than Hayes $6M.

Reactions: AdamParrot

Ghosts Beer

Feb 10, 2014
Duchene will be 29, figure 4 good seasons at 45-55 ES points then 3 seasons where he's 2nd/3rd line talent from 33-35.
So he might be worth $8M the first four years and $5M the last three, do you think he'll sign for 7yr, $49M?
Other problem is he'll probably want a NMC, no way with the ED coming up, you'll want to expose some high priced forwards to make room for RFA deals.
So just throw in the towel on actually competing for the East title the next 2 seasons, in Giroux & Voracek’s rapidly dwindling prime, because of an expansion draft in June 2021?

I’m not on board with that plan.

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
I wasn’t accusing you of not knowing who Duchene is; rather, I was citing my reasoning for targeting him. And, as @AdamParrot said, I’d rather pay Duchene $8M+ than Hayes $6M.
I personally would rather go the trade route if we don't land the big fish honestly.

I have no desire for either of those 2....or to overpay for those types of guys. We did it for JVR who filled that LW need. We don't need to do it again. That's the point I am making.

Ghosts Beer

Feb 10, 2014
I personally would rather go the trade route if we don't land the big fish honestly.

I have no desire for either of those 2....or to overpay for those types of guys. We did it for JVR who filled that LW need. We don't need to do it again. That's the point I am making.
If there’s a good trade to be had for a speed/skill forward, I’m for it. But who’s getting traded? Most don’t seem in favor of trading Ghost, but who else is tradable with that kind of trade value? And he very well may not have enough value.

prototypical4thliner

Jan 12, 2017
If there’s a good trade to be had for a speed/skill forward, I’m for it. But who’s getting traded? Most don’t seem in favor of trading Ghost, but who else is tradable with that kind of trade value? And he very well may not have enough value.
I don’t think we are all averse to trading ghost. It’s a matter of value gained vs lost. Tough equation.

The first thing I think of is Toronto, especially if they get bounced loosing games 6-5.

Ghost is mercurial for our fans in general, extremes both side, but clearly is a valuable asset.

But we also need to be damn sure our d is sorted out and it currently isn’t. Probably the biggest hurdle to justifying using ghost as a trade chip.

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
Team like picks. Teams like prospects. We have a logjam coming so need to thin the herd anyways. You just have to find the right match. Look at Skinner deal. Look at ROR. Look at Hoffman.

Maybe Zucker is the guy you can grab for cheap in a down year. I know you want a C desperately, but I don't think we need a long term one. Frost could be ready this year, at worst 2 years.

But at least we have options from within....and cap space if he choose to add from outside.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad