Injury Report: Sean Couturier Has Back Surgery - Out For Remainder Of Season (Feb. 11th)

MiamiScreamingEagles

Global Moderator
Jan 17, 2004
February 8:

Couturier had rehab skated before the break but there is no timeline for his return. Ellis has been off the ice and has no timeline, as well.

"I think it could go either way with both players," Flyers general manager Chuck Fletcher said Jan. 26. "There’s a chance that they could come back this year and there’s a chance that they will need procedures that will take them out for the rest of the season. We’re trying to do everything we can to avoid surgery in both cases."​

Source: Jordan Hall

Fight4yourRight

“Chuck’s my guy”
Dec 18, 2017
February 8:

Couturier had rehab skated before the break but there is no timeline for his return. Ellis has been off the ice and has no timeline, as well.

"I think it could go either way with both players," Flyers general manager Chuck Fletcher said Jan. 26. "There’s a chance that they could come back this year and there’s a chance that they will need procedures that will take them out for the rest of the season. We’re trying to do everything we can to avoid surgery in both cases."​

Source: Jordan Hall

Smart. Keep them doing rehab that is clearly not doing anything and delay procedures, so that they are 65-75 percent by the time the season starts instead of being fully ready to go.

FlyerNutter

In the forest, a man learns what it means to live
Jun 22, 2018
Winnipeg
karate-kid-daniel.gif

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
Now we know why he signed instead of leaving this godawful franchise.

He signed in August, well before the injury happened.

When coming up with narratives, at least try and have them vaguely match the facts.

Psuhockey

Nov 17, 2010
He signed in August, well before the injury happened.

When coming up with narratives, at least try and have them vaguely match the facts.
What was his injury last year?

They don’t do back surgeries unless they are absolutely necessary especially on young people even athletes. They exhaust every avenue first so I find it hard to believe this went from injured in the fall to full on surgery in the winter. This was probably something that lingered, was aggravated and got worse.

Last edited:
Reactions: Ironmanrulez

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
What was his injury last year?

The injury that caused him to miss 11 games at the start of last season was to his ribs.

Couturier out at least two weeks for Flyers with rib injury

They don’t do back surgeries unless they are absolutely necessary especially on young people even athletes. They exhaust every avenue first so I find it hard to believe this went from injured in the fall to full on surgery in the winter. This was probably something that lingered, was aggravated and got worse.

It's very easy to believe because he was totally healthy and playing well in September and October. No sign of it all before November, then surgery in February after playing his last game on December 18th and waiting over a month to see if it improved with rest. Totally standard stuff.

Last edited:
Reactions: BiggE

Fight4yourRight

“Chuck’s my guy”
Dec 18, 2017
Couturier has had some pretty major injuries through his career and he’s also played a ton of games for his age. He also tends to take a ton of abuse in the games he does play. I do not see him aging gracefully at all. This is not a “narrative,” this is being pragmatic. There is nothing you can say to convince me otherwise. This team is even more f***ed than I thought.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad