Injury Report: Sean Couturier Has Back Surgery - Out For Remainder Of Season (Feb. 11th)

flyershockey

Oct 10, 2006
giphy.gif

Adam Warlock

Apr 15, 2006
Ellis,Couturier, G, and Hart are the four most important Flyers. They are thr four guys the team cant afford to miss lomg term.

Go figure 3 if them are out atm...two potentially for a while :thumbd:

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
This is where you have to steal points, and they have so far on this road trip.
Shutting Couts down is the right move, he hasn't looked the same this season.
But it also means Hayes has to play himself into shape in games, b/c they lack depth at center.

If they can muddle through for a couple weeks and get Couts and Ellis back sometime in January they could still make the playoffs.

FlyerNutter

In the forest, a man learns what it means to live
Jun 22, 2018
Winnipeg
At least it confirmed our suspicions that it wasn't some magical regression

It's not, but I'll always maintain there was valid reason to be apprehensive with a lengthy extension. They were simply too scared to lose one of the few above average players they do have - to get a little creative.

Hopefully it works out, shall see.

Reactions: Amorgus

dats81

Jan 22, 2011
Carinthia, AUT
He hasn't looked himself pretty much the whole season. Of course, Sean Couturier at 70 percent is still a more valuable player than any of the Schmocks playing in Lehigh and he knows it and Fletcher knows it and that's why he kept playing through it.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
It's not, but I'll always maintain there was valid reason to be apprehensive with a lengthy extension. They were simply too scared to lose one of the few above average players they do have - to get a little creative.

Hopefully it works out, shall see.

At the AVV of that extension, it was good value even if he's dinged up on a regular basis - a healthy Couts is a $10M center.
We're talking a guy who scores at a 1C level who's also a perennial Selke candidate.

Reactions: renberg

FlyerNutter

In the forest, a man learns what it means to live
Jun 22, 2018
Winnipeg
At the AVV of that extension, it was good value even if he's dinged up on a regular basis - a healthy Couts is a $10M center.
We're talking a guy who scores at a 1C level who's also a perennial Selke candidate.

Hes a good player. They simply doubled down on making him Giroux 2.0 instead of seeing that the greatest value to the franchise moving forward would have been to dare to be a little creative.

The Flyers do love treading that water though. I’m not wasting my time with a “debate” about a team that’s going to have mediocrity shoved up its ass because it can’t face the reality of what they are.

Reactions: Ironmanrulez

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Hes a good player. They simply doubled down on making him Giroux 2.0 instead of seeing that the greatest value to the franchise moving forward would have been to dare to be a little creative.

The Flyers do love treading that water though. I’m not wasting my time with a “debate” about a team that’s going to have mediocrity shoved up its ass because it can’t face the reality of what they are.

Doubt you could trade him at the end of his contract for anything close to his value at that AVV going forward.
Centers and goalies are gold in the NHL, if you have them, keep them.
A guy like Couts also helps develop young forwards, just look at TK with and without him his first three seasons.

orangey

perpetual mediocrity
Aug 9, 2008
Internet

In their defense, it's a pretty hard decision to trade a guy like Couturier for picks and prospects, knowing that you are getting pennies on the dollar, and also with the knowledge that there are no guarantees that anything awaits you on the other side and you can end up just like Buffalo.

They need to retool thoroughly OFC but you also need something in place to provide some structure and I cant think of a better player to do it than Selke Sean. You can pretty much trade everyone else though if it makes sense but I don't think they need to or should turn it into an AHL team for years and years just to rebuild.

What they do need to do though is fire everyone involved with personnel and player development. They need a good young GM with a plan to run the org correctly. No more Lappy hires and country club BS. Sadly though, only Scott has the power to do this, and I don't think he has a clue what is wrong with the deeply imbedded culture of this org or what kind of GM to hire to fix it. The only hope is that they keep losing and people stop going and they are forced to do something... and though sheer dumb luck he stumbles upon the correct hire. Yeah, not likely, but hopefully this all serves to further discredit Clarke, Homer and the old guard whispering in Scott's ear.

Reactions: Ironmanrulez

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad