Celebrity Death: Sean Connery (90)

The Mars Volchenkov

Mar 31, 2002
Colorado
I will never understand what people see in Craig. Zero charm. Nada. Zilch. James Bond is supposed to be a womanizer, charming guy. All the previous Bonds had it. He's just way too serious and boring.
Eh, can’t agree. Craig plays it very close to the novels and that’s what makes him great. Dalton did too but he was way ahead of his time. Don’t really want to hijack Sean’s thread though, as he’s my favorite.

Holden Caulfield

Eternal Skeptic
Feb 15, 2006
Winnipeg
Never knew that. I wonder why he turned it down.

From what I heard he said he "didn't get it". Wasn't into the fantasy thing. From what I heard he had the same reaction to "League of Extraordinary Gentlemen". He regretted passing LotR for those reasons when it became so beloved and well done so he accepted league of extraordinary gentlemen. Then League bombed and he just quit acting altogether.

Langdon Alger

Apr 19, 2006
From what I heard he said he "didn't get it". Wasn't into the fantasy thing. From what I heard he had the same reaction to "League of Extraordinary Gentlemen". He regretted passing LotR for those reasons when it became so beloved and well done so he accepted league of extraordinary gentlemen. Then League bombed and he just quit acting altogether.

Well, it did gross 180 million. Not sure I’d call that a bomb. The reviews weren’t kind though.

Holden Caulfield

Eternal Skeptic
Feb 15, 2006
Winnipeg
Well, it did gross 180 million. Not sure I’d call that a bomb. The reviews weren’t kind though.

I was more going off my memory. Looking around it seems Connery did mention the production and the final quality of the film. He was tired of "working with idiots". You're right it wasn't a box office bomb per se. Its been a long time since I've seen or thought about that movie haha.

Langdon Alger

Apr 19, 2006
I was more going off my memory. Looking around it seems Connery did mention the production and the final quality of the film. He was tired of "working with idiots". You're right it wasn't a box office bomb per se. Its been a long time since I've seen or thought about that movie haha.

I’d call it a box office success that got panned by critics.

Osprey

Feb 18, 2005
180 million isn't a box office success. And it was a terrible movie.

$180M from a $78M budget suggests a slight profit, and films are generally considered box office successes if they make money, so he's not entirely wrong. The film certainly underperformed and disappointed, though, so you're not entirely wrong, either. I'm sure that 20th Century Fox was hoping for at least double that. In the end, they made money on the film, especially because DVD rentals and sales were high, but yeah, its reputation for underperforming and being terrible is what matters.

Langdon Alger

Apr 19, 2006
180 million isn't a box office success.

It isn’t? You have awfully high standards. Box office success is relative to budget, so 180 million on a 20 million dollar budget would be considered a huge success. That movie made 180 million on an 80 million dollar budget, so it made 100 million profit. Chances are they thought it would do better on an 80 million dollar budget, so it could be considered a dissapointment to a certain extent, but it certainly didn’t bomb at the box office.

Jussi

Feb 28, 2002
Mojo Dojo Casa House
$180M from a $78M budget suggests a slight profit, and films are generally considered box office successes if they make money, so he's not entirely wrong. The film certainly underperformed and disappointed, though, so you're not entirely wrong, either. I'm sure that 20th Century Fox was hoping for at least double that. In the end, they made money on the film, especially because DVD rentals and sales were high, but yeah, its reputation for underperforming and being terrible is what matters.

Add marketing and that usually doubles. That's a flop.

Osprey

Feb 18, 2005
Add marketing and that usually doubles. That's a flop.

The average marketing expense is about half, not 100%. Also, films that look like potential flops often have their marketing slashed. It's doubtful that Fox spent much in promoting this film, especially after the initial reviews.

Jussi

Feb 28, 2002
Mojo Dojo Casa House
The average marketing expense is about half, not 100%. Also, films that look like potential flops often have their marketing slashed. It's doubtful that Fox spent much in promoting this film, especially after the initial reviews.

Most of the marketing is done before reviews are out.

Osprey

Feb 18, 2005
Most of the marketing is done before reviews are out.

Time-wise, yes, but some of the most expensive marketing occurs afterwards. TV spots are not cheap and they won't run for weeks or even months unless the opening weekend is successful and there are glowing reviews to quote.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad