Confirmed Signing with Link: [SEA] Ryan Donato signs with the Kraken (1 year, $750k)

bossram

Sep 25, 2013
Victoria
It's basically a zero-risk signing. If he can snipe in 10 goals or so and win them a few shootouts, that would be great value for Seattle.

They can afford to shelter him on the 4th line with better defensive players.

KrakenSabresMike

Oct 7, 2020
So the Sabres are only going to have ~20 point season? Now that is a hell of a prognostication.
The kraken have 2 legit NHL goalies ( probably a top 5 tandem ) , very good defense and in a bad division with good ( not elite) forwards. I bet they can hit 90-100 points range - Sabres are not cracking 70. Dude you can zing me as much as you want on this - I’m from Buffalo and have been a Sabres fan for the last 40 years - Seattle is a good ( not elite) team on paper with legit NHL players at every position and right now the Sabres are not.

Reactions: Piffle

PatriceBergeronFan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 15, 2011
USA
They can still go that route. Gourde goes on IR and that leaves them with 13 - of course, all of these F: Twarynski, Geeie, Lind, and True would have. to clear waivers, IMO, they all will.

If they go with 14, then Cholowski, Borgen, and Cale Fleury all get waived. And my guess is Borgen goes back to Buffalo, Arizona picks up Cholowski, and Cale clears.

If they go with 13 F, then Borgen stays with the club and Cholowski gets picked up by Arizona or even possibly by Detroit.

From any angle, Seattle's first season appears loaded with blunders and short-sighted gambles.

Reactions: Gurglesons

PatriceBergeronFan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 15, 2011
USA
The kraken have 2 legit NHL goalies ( probably a top 5 tandem ) , very good defense and in a bad division with good ( not elite) forwards. I bet they can hit 90-100 points range - Sabres are not cracking 70. Dude you can zing me as much as you want on this - I’m from Buffalo and have been a Sabres fan for the last 40 years - Seattle is a good ( not elite) team on paper with legit NHL players at every position and right now the Sabres are not.

This is very... optimistic.

banks

Only got 3 of 16.
Aug 29, 2019
Can't argue with a contract like that. It's a no-risk, high-reward move.

Donato could be waived tomorrow with no harm done. Or he could mesh with a teammate and put up some respectable numbers.

One of the very few Seattle moves I like.

GM Armchair

Dec 16, 2019
Neat. At least the Sabres have a plan. Seattle’s seems to be to spend money on being the most average team in the league with absolutely no future because they “cap spaced” out any picks.
The only plan the Sabres have is to be bad for another 10 years

WiHockeyGuy

Jan 6, 2017
The Dairy State

I would be shocked if Seattle hits 90 points this season. I just don't see it. More than willing to be proven wrong, but I just do not see it happening.

PatriceBergeronFan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 15, 2011
USA
Which part do you disagree with? They are built kinda like the Islanders of the last few years. I think that's a pretty realistic expectation.

The "very good" anything with Seattle. They were doomed from day one with the decisions by management. This is not a Vegas repeat.

Piffle

Oct 31, 2007
The "very good" anything with Seattle. They were doomed from day one with the decisions by management. This is not a Vegas repeat.
They have very good depth at goalie, defense, and forward. Depth is key to winning games. They don't have an all-star forward, but NYI didn't last season either. It isn't required to make the playoffs (going deep is another matter). 8 forwards that were on pace for 20+ goals last year. 2 top tier goalies. And a deep young defense. A lot of Seattle fans are happy with this roster and expect to be fighting for a playoff spot.

abo9

Jun 25, 2017

I mean, Driedger has experience in about 38 NHL games, and Grubauer has never played for not a contender and last year his first as a starter - and Colorado did not bother resigning him.
It's a good gamble from Seattle, but nothing screaming "top 5 tandem".

I think they finish around 20th to 23rd in the league to surprise a lot of people. But I think that they;ll stay there for 4-5 years at least.

Reactions: PatriceBergeronFan

PatriceBergeronFan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 15, 2011
USA
They have very good depth at goalie, defense, and forward. Depth is key to winning games. They don't have an all-star forward, but NYI didn't last season either. It isn't required to make the playoffs (going deep is another matter). 8 forwards that were on pace for 20+ goals last year. 2 top tier goalies. And a deep young defense. A lot of Seattle fans are happy with this roster and expect to be fighting for a playoff spot.

In addition to perhaps the most restrictive, defensive system in the NHL, the NYI roster has a few star talents such as Lee and Barzal, and a steady to elite top pair. Seattle will need a remarkable defensive system just to sniff the playoffs.

Maurice of Orange

Wahatquenak
Feb 5, 2016
The only plan the Sabres have is to be bad for another 10 years
313F53A6-4AA2-4109-BAAE-2194BFD5D9F0.gif

SI

Feb 16, 2013
From any angle, Seattle's first season appears loaded with blunders and short-sighted gambles.

For sure there are some questionable selections that I certainly didn’t agree with, but that goaltending tandem and blueline, which is very, very good- I dunno they might surprise some folks.They also have some really strong two way players, who play the game right... Appleton, Gourde, Schwartz to name a few. Tanev is also a tough SOB - they may not be able to score enough goals, but in that division they could be a team on the bubble.

Reactions: PatriceBergeronFan

PizzaAndPucks

New Jersey Angels diehard
Nov 29, 2018
This kid got a good amount of hype when he debuted for the Bruins a few seasons ago. He might not be a great top 6 players but he is an NHL regular who can give you like 45 points in a full season. That only costing a team 850k is a steal imo.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad