Confirmed Signing with Link: [SEA] Riley Sheahan signs with the Kraken (1 year, $850k)

kerrabria

May 3, 2018
Sheahan is such a nothing player. Epitome of the word, "plug."
Can't recall a single memorable moment of his when he was with either Pittsburgh or Florida.
Their squad is better than what Hakstol will bring out of them. He'll be a great hinderance
If this is true, then we're looking at a 30 point team.

Reactions: banks

gstommylee

Jan 31, 2012
I mean, the UFA signings were not exactly great contracts were they?

The contracts are fine given the space we had at the time. My point being taking on bad contract with meh returns would eating up what we had cap space to the point we couldn't really make much FA signings. No grubby etc.

gstommylee

Jan 31, 2012
Can't recall a single memorable moment of his when he was with either Pittsburgh or Florida.

Can we stop with the whole Seattle is going to be crappy the next 5 years.... Non of us know what the heck is going to happen.

abo9

Jun 25, 2017
Vegas has a crap expansion draft (out side of Fluery and one other player) with what who was this guy type players including side trades. It took Fluery finding fountain of youth and a couple players having the best season of their careers for Vegas to even make the playoffs. Now they are in cap hell and continue to be in cap hell and still haven't gotten close (out side of year) to winning that 4th game in SCF.

So you basically want Seattle to copy vegas and be in cap hell the next half a decade.

Ehhh Fleury had just brought the Pens to the Stanley Cup finals and played a great role in it until Murray came back. He was still a top goalie (and still is...)
They picked guys like Reilly Smith and Marchessault from the same team (like I said, they did have the advantage of GM's being dumber for some reason) - which were known commodities

David Perron - Another established top 6 player
Nate Schmidt - Very good defenseman who was simply the odd-man out in Washington, they'd have love to keep him

And they did a bunch of transactions to gain draft capitals for selecting or not players. They used that capital to trade for Stone and Pacioretty the following year, acquiring a very good 2nd line/decent 1st line with it. From all accounts, Seattle's prices were way too high.

And traded a lot of the "extra" players they had for more draft capital - no pick was too low.

Yeah, they benefitted hugely from guys like Karlsson having a career year, but their roster in the first year was objectively better than Seattle's - star goaltender, some legit top 4D, established op 6 forwards.
They did not back away from spending money...

Reactions: banks

gstommylee

Jan 31, 2012
Ehhh Fleury had just brought the Pens to the Stanley Cup finals and played a great role in it until Murray came back. He was still a top goalie (and still is...)
They picked guys like Reilly Smith and Marchessault from the same team (like I said, they did have the advantage of GM's being dumber for some reason) - which were known commodities

David Perron - Another established top 6 player
Nate Schmidt - Very good defenseman who was simply the odd-man out in Washington, they'd have love to keep him

And they did a bunch of transactions to gain draft capitals for selecting or not players. They used that capital to trade for Stone and Pacioretty the following year, acquiring a very good 2nd line/decent 1st line with it. From all accounts, Seattle's prices were way too high.

And traded a lot of the "extra" players they had for more draft capital - no pick was too low.

Yeah, they benefitted hugely from guys like Karlsson having a career year, but their roster in the first year was objectively better than Seattle's - star goaltender, some legit top 4D, established op 6 forwards.
They did not back away from spending money...

Vegas got LUCKY. And now everyone is basically say Seattle should just copy vegas or they are garbage.... I hate their roster structure its trash. Also they have no idea how to manage their cap or manage their assets. They are throwing away future talent just to not make any closer to the cup than they did year 1.

No team wanted to work with Seattle in trade like they did with Vegas. Complete different situation this time around. I rather not take bad contracts for meh returns that probably won't come to much other than just AHL players.

abo9

Jun 25, 2017
Vegas got LUCKY. And now everyone is basically say Seattle should just copy vegas or they are garbage.... I hate their roster structure its trash. Also they have no idea how to manage their cap or manage their assets. They are throwing away future talent just to not make any closer to the cup than they did year 1.

No team wanted to work with Seattle in trade like they did with Vegas. Complete different situation this time around. I rather not take bad contracts for meh returns that probably won't come to much other than just AHL players.

Well I'm saying I liked how they managed their draft better than Seattle. What they do now might not be optimal but they're 3 years away from their own expansion draft.

I mean, I don't think Seattle will be a bottom 5 team, but I don't think they'll be in the fight for the playoffs for long.

I also disagree with the way they managed the ED. Imo they went way too risk averse with trying to save money and it's gonna bite them in the ass in future years because they'll have to acquire assets via UFA or cap dumps - and UFA's are so often bad contracts that I'd rather take one or two at the ED and capitalize on it earlier. (for EG. I would rather have had a Jason Zucker for 2 years at 5.5M than Jaden Schwartz for 5 years at the same AAV, despite Schwartz being the better player. Much more flexibility and ability to retain and trade as a rental for a good price).

But hey, I hope they do well. It sucks to see franchises like Buffalo or Arizona that are plagued in mediocrity for so long

gstommylee

Jan 31, 2012
Well I'm saying I liked how they managed their draft better than Seattle. What they do now might not be optimal but they're 3 years away from their own expansion draft.

I mean, I don't think Seattle will be a bottom 5 team, but I don't think they'll be in the fight for the playoffs for long.

I also disagree with the way they managed the ED. Imo they went way too risk averse with trying to save money and it's gonna bite them in the ass in future years because they'll have to acquire assets via UFA or cap dumps - and UFA's are so often bad contracts that I'd rather take one or two at the ED and capitalize on it earlier. (for EG. I would rather have had a Jason Zucker for 2 years at 5.5M than Jaden Schwartz for 5 years at the same AAV, despite Schwartz being the better player. Much more flexibility and ability to retain and trade as a rental for a good price).

But hey, I hope they do well. It sucks to see franchises like Buffalo or Arizona that are plagued in mediocrity for so long

Vegas had a meh expansion draft. Meh outside a couple players. Everyone was saying how vegas was gonna be garbage bottom feeder team year one. The same thing that is being said about Seattle now.

And taking bad contracts for the sake of taking bad contracts with meh returns will bite us in the but later. We weren't going to do any team a damn favor. No team wants another repeat of Vegas' side trades that had. So why should we take meh draft picks just to do a team a favor and provide them cap relief. I don't think so... Again it take 2 to make a trade. If one didn't like what the other side was offering and vice versa then nothing was going to happen.

Having Schwartz was far better than taking JVR at 2x7.

Taking Jason Zucker from pitts would mean no Brandon Tanev btw. And getting Tanev is a great move out of the draft.

Kranix

Deranged Homer
Jun 27, 2012

You think this Seattle team is on par with the bottom feeders from last year? Wrong-headed.

kerrabria

May 3, 2018
Can we stop with the whole Seattle is going to be crappy the next 5 years.... Non of us know what the heck is going to happen.

You think this Seattle team is on par with the bottom feeders from last year? Wrong-headed.

Seattle does not have a single forward that can drive a top 6 line. Only Gourde and McCann who can drive playing 3C.
Seattle does not have a single defenseman who you would trust on the top pair, and only Giordano and Dunn with any notable offensive talent.

I will eat every hat I own if they crack 205 goals in 82 games (2.5 goals per game)

Kranix

Deranged Homer
Jun 27, 2012
Seattle does not have a single forward that can drive a top 6 line. Only Gourde and McCann who can drive playing 3C.
Seattle does not have a single defenseman who you would trust on the top pair, and only Giordano and Dunn with any notable offensive talent.

I will eat every hat I own if they crack 205 goals in 82 games (2.5 goals per game)
You're not giving Gourde enough credit.

gstommylee

Jan 31, 2012

Dude if you want perfection its not coming out of the draft and especially when its only been 1 off-season.

So you rather Seattle pay A WHOLE lot at FA on these blue line players. We all saw how much those Dman were going for at the FA market I don't think so. Seattle did good at the blue line way better than seriously over paying for them like some teams did.

So the only thing Seattle really lacks is top 6 wingers. And it was expected when teams weren't going to be willing to work with Seattle on side trades.

So we must put our selves in cap hell for several years just to appease NHL fans that aren't even fans of the team to begin with.

Dog

Arf! Arf! Arf!
Feb 9, 2016
Wasteland

They probably get 206 haha

Suntouchable13

Dec 20, 2003
Toronto, ON
Dude if you want perfection its not coming out of the draft and especially when its only been 1 off-season.

So you rather Seattle pay A WHOLE lot at FA on these blue line players. We all saw how much those Dman were going for at the FA market I don't think so. Seattle did good at the blue line way better than seriously over paying for them like some teams did.

So the only thing Seattle really lacks is top 6 wingers. And it was expected when teams weren't going to be willing to work with Seattle on side trades.

So we must put our selves in cap hell for several years just to appease NHL fans that aren't even fans of the team to begin with.

I just want to say that what Vegas did was the exception, not the norm. Look at past expansion teams in their first year. They all were pretty bad. There is nothing wrong with saying that Seattle will be bad this season.

gstommylee

Jan 31, 2012

You do realize quality centers are basically difficult to find and to get one won't come cheap. We all knew this ED was going to be weak on Centers. Again you want quality top 6 forwards to fill top 2 lines they won't come cheap especially in the ED draft or cheap at all in a trade.

Kranix

Deranged Homer
Jun 27, 2012
I just want to say that what Vegas did was the exception, not the norm. Look at past expansion teams in their first year. They all were pretty bad. There is nothing wrong with saying that Seattle will be bad this season.
Vegas did well. GMs were probably wiser this time. But you can't say Seattle is starting off like the Sharks or Blue Jackets. They had the same beefed up expansion draft opportunities that only Vegas had.

Reactions: gstommylee

gstommylee

Jan 31, 2012

And here's the thing it a completely different environment. than it was pre-vegas expansion draft. Look at the draft rules before vegas. Look at how many players teams can protect. Of course teams back then would be terrible.

My point being people seem to forget how people were calling vegas' roster pre-first season as trash and they'll be terrible... They are all stuck on the results after the first year and again they got lucky. You can't compare a team after its first season with a team that hasn't even played a single game at all. You just can't. Why can't people seem to understand that.

Will Seattle it SCF their first season. of course Not but will they be crappy like some people are so stuck on. No.

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta
Vegas did well. GMs were probably wiser this time. But you can't say Seattle is starting off like the Sharks or Blue Jackets. They had the same beefed up expansion draft opportunities that only Vegas had.
Vegas also was really fortunate with a few guys left exposed for them (Karlsson) and Florida moving some good players to them for cap space.

gstommylee

Jan 31, 2012
Vegas also was really fortunate with a few guys left exposed for them (Karlsson) and Florida moving some good players to them for cap space.

Karlsson at the time during vegas' draft week was a head scratcher as to why? Everyone is praising the move after the first season when karlsson had a career high that year but before that season even started i think people were meh about it.

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
I actually quite liked Sheahan in his first season in Pittsburgh. Shame that he seems to be a guy whose confidence gets knocked easily and who has just nose dived ever since.

Also, at the time I thought Vegas were no hopers and I feel like how they did should be an education in what a deep cohesive team can do. Seattle have the talent to be a bubble team if they play well. But, the part of this where that's what they came out of the expansion draft with, and with a bunch of long unlovely contracts and not many assets, is indeed weird.

And the part where they picked arguably the coach most reviled by their former fanbase (Buffalo excluded) from the last five years is very weird.

Super Cake

Jun 24, 2013
Seattle really does seem to be building a trap type of team that will either win or lose a lot of 1 goal games.

I honestly find these type of teams to be boring as hell. I remember when the Sens did it with Boucher. Sure they made it to the ecf, but hot damn were they boring.

It's fine when you are winning I guess, the problem is when you are losing. Then it starts to get really frustrating.

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta
Karlsson at the time during vegas' draft week was a head scratcher as to why? Everyone is praising the move after the first season when karlsson had a career high that year but before that season even started i think people were meh about it.
That's true, he was an unexpected breakout. I just don't see anyone on Seattle who has breakout potential this year.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad