Confirmed Signing with Link: [SEA] Riley Sheahan signs with the Kraken (1 year, $850k)

Mike Jones

Apr 12, 2007
Calgary
Good signing and acquisition of yet another potential asset to flip at the trade deadline.

To those predicting doom and gloom - the Krakheads will be fine. They've missed a lot of opportunities to build something interesting (with a sustainable future to go with it) but I don't think they'll be as terrible as many are fearing.

Last edited:

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta
Good signing and acquisition of yet another potential asset to flip at the trade deadline.

To those predicting doom and gloom - the Krakheads be fine. They've missed a lot of opportunities to build something interesting (with a sustainable future to go with it) but I don't think they'll be as terrible as many are fearing.
Sorry, but Sheahan hasn't been tradeable at the deadline for a few years now. Seattle got a good penalty killer, but he can't do anything else really.

Reactions: banks

abo9

Jun 25, 2017

To those predicting doom and gloom - the Krakheads be fine. They've missed a lot of opportunities to build something interesting (with a sustainable future to go with it) but I don't think they'll be as terrible as many are fearing.

I like to make fun of Seattle, but I expect them to finish in the 22-27th echelon, not technically too far from a playoff spot but not in the run. Also not a bottom feeder.

But, I thought they could build a playoff bound team with serious future assets so I'm really off-putted by the current state of the team.

Reactions: Taytro and banks

Dog

Arf! Arf! Arf!
Feb 9, 2016
Wasteland
Bottom depth at center not to bad player. His past season was on Sabres so don't look to close at that. I would expect better plus and minus rating and probably less games unless major injuries.

gstommylee

Jan 31, 2012
I like to make fun of Seattle, but I expect them to finish in the 22-27th echelon, not technically too far from a playoff spot but not in the run. Also not a bottom feeder.

But, I thought they could build a playoff bound team with serious future assets so I'm really off-putted by the current state of the team.

Unless you want the team to be in cap hell every year until the cows come home, there is nothing wrong with Seattle taking the approach they are at.

Everyone said the same thing about Vegas after prior to their first season and look at what happened. Let just wait and see what happens.

Reactions: Puckrobber

gstommylee

Jan 31, 2012
Also to note there is no guarantees he'll even be on the roster come opening game vs Vegas.

Mike Jones

Apr 12, 2007
Calgary

I don't think this past draft could have produced a playoff team but they should have been able to gather a pile of picks and prospects for all of the free cap space they were playing with. Arizona made the trades Seattle should have made. But here's hoping signings like Sheahan back in the trading game this coming deadline.

gstommylee

Jan 31, 2012
I don't think this past draft could have produced a playoff team but they should have been able to gather a pile of picks and prospects for all of the free cap space they were playing with. Arizona made the trades Seattle should have made. But here's hoping signings like Sheahan back in the trading game this coming deadline.

And we wouldn't be making FA the signings that we did if we did take terrible contracts just for potentially meh draft picks. It takes 2 two make a trade. We have no idea what teams were even counter offering during trade talks other than we were asking for too much. And yet and they could be countering offering with way too low... So Seattle has to accept way to low counter offers just for the sake of taking a contract?

banks

Only got 3 of 16.
Aug 29, 2019
Good thing they saved all that cap space so they could go after game breakers like this in free agency.

Honestly, I disagree with almost every decision that Ron Francis has made for Seattle. And this is just another small piece of "meh" in a giant disappointment sandwich.

abo9

Jun 25, 2017
Unless you want the team to be in cap hell every year until the cows come home, there is nothing wrong with Seattle taking the approach they are at.

Everyone said the same thing about Vegas after prior to their first season and look at what happened. Let just wait and see what happens.

See, I think it's different. Vegas looked like a borderline playoff team from day 1. I think they got lucky with GM's being really dumb (especially Florida), but they did take on some bigger contracts.

And I spent too much time trying to build a roster for Seattle (just for fun mind you), but they had no need to be in "Cap Hell" even when taking somewhat bad contracts. Most of them were 1 or 2 years and slightly overpaid, but good NHLers anyway that could have been valuable assets with salary retained. So, by the time there's a prospect pipeline in place and you start signing decent players, most those expansion draft bad contracts would be gone anyway.

Right now, there's 10 teams with more cap space than Seattle. They don't really have a young roster, little extra draft capital and a few young forward AHLer. I mean, they just don't have much assets to even acquire futures.

But, I'm an armchair GM, and the guy in charge thought it was the best way to start the franchise. We'll see how it goes

gstommylee

Jan 31, 2012
See, I think it's different. Vegas looked like a borderline playoff team from day 1. I think they got lucky with GM's being really dumb (especially Florida), but they did take on some bigger contracts.

And I spent too much time trying to build a roster for Seattle (just for fun mind you), but they had no need to be in "Cap Hell" even when taking somewhat bad contracts. Most of them were 1 or 2 years and slightly overpaid, but good NHLers anyway that could have been valuable assets with salary retained. So, by the time there's a prospect pipeline in place and you start signing decent players, most those expansion draft bad contracts would be gone anyway.

Right now, there's 10 teams with more cap space than Seattle. They don't really have a young roster, little extra draft capital and a few young forward AHLer. I mean, they just don't have much assets to even acquire futures.

But, I'm an armchair GM, and the guy in charge thought it was the best way to start the franchise. We'll see how it goes

Vegas has a crap expansion draft (out side of Fluery and one other player) with what who was this guy type players including side trades. It took Fluery finding fountain of youth and a couple players having the best season of their careers for Vegas to even make the playoffs. Now they are in cap hell and continue to be in cap hell and still haven't gotten close (out side of year) to winning that 4th game in SCF.

So you basically want Seattle to copy vegas and be in cap hell the next half a decade.

abo9

Jun 25, 2017
And we wouldn't be making FA the signings that we did if we did take terrible contracts just for potentially meh draft picks. It takes 2 two make a trade. We have no idea what teams were even counter offering during trade talks other than we were asking for too much. And yet and they could be countering offering with way too low... So Seattle has to accept way to low counter offers just for the sake of taking a contract?

I mean, the UFA signings were not exactly great contracts were they?

gstommylee

Jan 31, 2012
Agreed, I think the worst thing Francis has done so far is hire the wrong coach.

And who that was available that would be better that seattle actually had interested in? Oh we could have picked someone else instead and guess want the results more or else wouldn't been any different.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad