Trade: [SEA/NYM] Robinson Cano and Edwin Diaz to the Mets for 2 top prospects, Jay Bruce, Anthony Swarzak

Sports Enthusiast

Not Here To Be Liked
Sep 19, 2010
Middle of nowhere
To be fair, if the team stays healthy (if being the key word) it's probably a playoff hopeful at the very least.

Given how deep in tweenersville the Mets are though? This is incredibly risky to say the least. Seattle on the other hand might be able to reload relatively quick given the packages they got for this and Paxton

Its not a playoff team. You have 2 good starters and 1 is elite in DeGrom but the rest of the rotation is so so, as is the bullpen.

Csepedes is already out like half the year.

Quid Pro Clowe

Dec 28, 2008
Its not a playoff team. You have 2 good starters and 1 is elite in DeGrom but the rest of the rotation is so so, as is the bullpen.

Csepedes is already out like half the year.
A's won 97 games with 1 decent sp who ended up going down in August.

Mets have 2 elite starters and now have an elite closer. All they need is to stay in games most nights to have a chance.

Sports Enthusiast

Not Here To Be Liked
Sep 19, 2010
Middle of nowhere
A's won 97 games with 1 decent sp who ended up going down in August.

Mets have 2 elite starters and now have an elite closer. All they need is to stay in games most nights to have a chance.

Well, the AL is a more offensive league. The A's just hit all the right buttons much like in the early Beane years.

Is he elite? Are closers overvalued? At one stretch everyone was raving about a guy named Jim Johnson. That ended fast. I also think their division outside of Miami is solid. Won't be a cake walk by any stretch.

AdmiralsFan24

Mar 22, 2011
Wisconsin
lol Mets. This was supposed to help the Mets win now. Cano is hitting .222/.270/.358, Diaz has a nearly 5 ERA and has given up 7 homers in 31 innings.

Meanwhile Kelenic is probably a top 20 prospect in baseball and Dunn is probably top 75ish having a good year in AA.

You'd think teams would've learned not to hire agents as GMs after the Dave Stewart/Diamondbacks fiasco but we can never underestimate the Mets.

Reactions: Blackhawkswincup

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
lol Mets. This was supposed to help the Mets win now. Cano is hitting .222/.270/.358, Diaz has a nearly 5 ERA and has given up 7 homers in 31 innings.

Meanwhile Kelenic is probably a top 20 prospect in baseball and Dunn is probably top 75ish having a good year in AA.

You'd think teams would've learned not to hire agents as GMs after the Dave Stewart/Diamondbacks fiasco but we can never underestimate the Mets.

What makes it worse with the Mets is they're more or less stuck with Brodie as long as some of his most important clients (deGrom, Cespedes, Ramos, Cano, etc) are Mets. But literally just about everything he's touched has gone to ****

KevFu

May 22, 2009
Phoenix from Rochester via New Orleans
What makes it worse with the Mets is they're more or less stuck with Brodie as long as some of his most important clients (deGrom, Cespedes, Ramos, Cano, etc) are Mets. But literally just about everything he's touched has gone to ****

I wouldn't say everything. I mean, the depth signings (Gomez, Hechavarria, Rajai Davis) have actually helped us win games.
The JD Davis trade looks solid.

The fact that Cano, Diaz, Lowrie, Wilson, Avilan, Familia and Broxton have combined to accomplish negative WAR makes it look so atrocious. But if we hadn't made the Cano/Diaz trade, you'd look at Wilson/Avilan/Familia/Lowrie injuries and think it was bad luck and not terrible GMing.

Of course, there's some busts that happen and everyone is like "Wow, we can't believe what a huge bust this is?" Prime example: Ryan Leaf. The argument was "Manning vs Leaf, who's going to be better?" with the presumption second place would be solid.

Then there's those moves that AS THEY'RE HAPPENING a lot of smart people say "This has disaster written all over it" (JaMarcus Russell to keep the QB Draft pick comparison going). The Cano trade was one of those trades. As the reports were unfolding, about 80% of Mets fans were like "What? Nooooooooo!" and then the details started emerging and it went from bad to worse.

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
I wouldn't say everything. I mean, the depth signings (Gomez, Hechavarria, Rajai Davis) have actually helped us win games.
The JD Davis trade looks solid.

The fact that Cano, Diaz, Lowrie, Wilson, Avilan, Familia and Broxton have combined to accomplish negative WAR makes it look so atrocious. But if we hadn't made the Cano/Diaz trade, you'd look at Wilson/Avilan/Familia/Lowrie injuries and think it was bad luck and not terrible GMing.

Of course, there's some busts that happen and everyone is like "Wow, we can't believe what a huge bust this is?" Prime example: Ryan Leaf. The argument was "Manning vs Leaf, who's going to be better?" with the presumption second place would be solid.

Then there's those moves that AS THEY'RE HAPPENING a lot of smart people say "This has disaster written all over it" (JaMarcus Russell to keep the QB Draft pick comparison going). The Cano trade was one of those trades. As the reports were unfolding, about 80% of Mets fans were like "What? Nooooooooo!" and then the details started emerging and it went from bad to worse.

I said just about everything, specifically all the big moves.

It's really just Davis and Hechavarria that are any kind of tangible pluses (who's only playing because Cano has been in and out of the lineup and Lowrie's in witness protection)...Gomez is hitting under .200 and just got DFA'ed, Davis had a good weekend before he got DFA'ed. I guess that's a plus but meh, it's like saying finding a penny on the ground is a plus.

KevFu

May 22, 2009
Phoenix from Rochester via New Orleans
Right, I'm not saying "Hey, everyone, lay off Brodie, he doesn't suck."

I'm saying that the perception of "Total failure" is based on the snowball effect of the trade and eight other moves. Half of those moves were inconsequential. The rest are like "50/50 bad and bad luck" except that Mariners trade.

Like, if we got LeMahieu instead of Lowrie (assuming he hits .340 for us, too) and not made the terrible trade, Brodie* goes from like a 0 score to a 70 score, despite that being 2 of 9 moves. He'd get a pass on the RP because of injuries, and great marks for scrubs with game-winning hits.

(*- Brodie because I can't be bothered to learn to spell his last name, since he'll be fired by the end of 2021; not because I like the guy.

geisterpanthers

Feb 7, 2018
Germany
Trading for Cano was mind boggling, I mean in my mind he must have had negative value by last season with his large contract.

That being said the Mets have so many players with significant upside, Alonso, McNeil, DeGrom, Syndergaard, Dom Smith, Conforto, Nimmo, Lugo, Familia (despite his terrible season), Diaz ( see Familia), maybe JD Davis can also be added here. Those are all very good to well above average players.

Wheeler and Matz as Number 3 and 4 in a rotation can also be considered very solid.

I know there is talk abt blowing up the team but I think all they need is a good BP (could be nearly fixed by guys like Familia and Diaz performing up to their potential) and better defense up the middle, add a good defensive SS (Guillorme) for awful Rosario and a proper CF.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad