Trade: [SEA/NYM] Robinson Cano and Edwin Diaz to the Mets for 2 top prospects, Jay Bruce, Anthony Swarzak

BMOK33

Oct 5, 2005

It’s still a miserable deal regardless. As I said I’m not overly sure either side will win this unless Kelenic pans out but this deal likely makes it harder for the Mets to get much for Syndergaard. Teams will just come back with “after that deal you made you think you can get “so and so” from us?! Right!”

Terry Yake

Aug 5, 2013
lol @ bautista being in the deal

this would be good for the mets if they actually went out and threw money at harper or machado or some big name FA. instead, they're just going to trade syndergaard

BMOK33

Oct 5, 2005

Del Preston

Mar 8, 2013
Meet the Mets, meet the Mets,
Step right up and greet the Mets
Bring your kiddies, bring your wife,
Guaranteed to have the time of your life
Because the Mets are really sockin' the ball,
Knockin' those home runs over the wall
East side, West side, everybody's coming down,
To meet the M-E-T-S Mets, of New York town!

Belieber

The Nuge is huge
Jun 23, 2016
vancouver
Well the Mets get a superstar closer and dump some bad contracts, so that part of the deal is great. The Cano part will be interesting to see how much they end up having to pay him. One of the more interesting trades I can remember.

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
If this is all the Mets do, they deserve scorn.

If they add a big time FA or 2 and go all in (doubtful with how CHEAP the Wilpons are), it's defensible.

They're not going to do it. This whole deal is about making a splash while saving as much money as possible, with all the money they've offloaded and whatever Seattle's picking up it'll probably come out to about half the deal. If it were the Yankees they'd take on $100-110 million of the contract and get Cano for scraps. Or get Cano/Diaz for one top prospect instead of two. But since it's us we're doing this deal, then will trade Thor to restock the farm and probably get bupkus back, then we'll sign some former BVW client to an overpriced mid-tier FA contract (think Kevin Appier way back when) to replace him.

It's a bad combination when you want to win AND don't want to actually spend AND have to do something big to have people laud your agressiveness.

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
Mariners should be able to flip Bruce and swarzak

In-season maybe, but not now. Bruce hardly had trade value when he was raking two years ago, and seemingly nobody wanted to sign him last offseason till we gave him a fair offer. Now coming off a bad year I can't imagine people will jump to take the $26 million left on his deal even though I do actually think he bounces back and they'll be able to trade him for something then.

darko

Feb 16, 2009
lol @ bautista being in the deal

this would be good for the mets if they actually went out and threw money at harper or machado or some big name FA. instead, they're just going to trade syndergaard

Different Bautista.

darko

Feb 16, 2009
If Mets keep Syndergaard and DeGrom they are a playoff team next season.

Quid Pro Clowe

Dec 28, 2008
It’s still a miserable deal regardless. As I said I’m not overly sure either side will win this unless Kelenic pans out but this deal likely makes it harder for the Mets to get much for Syndergaard. Teams will just come back with “after that deal you made you think you can get “so and so” from us?! Right!”
Mariners are rebuilding and unloaded a contract they still owed over 100 mil on.

Totally different situation than teams competing to get Syndergaard.

AtlantaWhaler

Thrash/Preds/Sabres
Jul 3, 2009

Nice run the second half of the season, but too little, too late. I don't see the Mets competing with 3 other teams in their own division who are on the upward swing.

Terry Yake

Aug 5, 2013

don't see that happening unless they sign a harper or machado

diaz will give them 10-15 more wins but barring a big name FA signing they're the 3rd best team in the division at best

Reactions: AtlantaWhaler

BMOK33

Oct 5, 2005
don't see that happening unless they sign a harper or machado

diaz will give them 10-15 more wins but barring a big name FA signing they're the 3rd best team in the division at best

I think the Braves are being overrated and the nationals as well. The Phillies by the end of the winter may be the most legit team there. I think the Nationals window has pretty much closed at this point unless they add big pieces. Harper leaving would close it for sure

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007

That is a ton of $.

Yeah I’m still not convinced Martino isn’t counting the money on the contracts as part of the $60 million. If it’s $60 million retained PLUS taking over $30 million in the Bruce and Swarzak contracts well holy moly, that’s more financial relief than I expected.

AtlantaWhaler

Thrash/Preds/Sabres
Jul 3, 2009
I think the Braves are being overrated and the nationals as well. The Phillies by the end of the winter may be the most legit team there. I think the Nationals window has pretty much closed at this point unless they add big pieces. Harper leaving would close it for sure

It's too early to tell yet as the winter meetings are still a week away, but so far, the Braves are roughly the same team with Josh Donaldson added. I'm sure the Phillies will make huge moves so they're TBD, and the Nats will make big moves and has the NL rookie runner-up for a full season.

It will depend on future moves, but if this is the Mets biggest move this offseason, they're probably the 4th best team in the division.

sabremike

Friend To All Giraffes And Lindy Ruff
Aug 30, 2010
Brewster, NY
Baseball should do me and everyone else who has to live with the abject misery of being a Mets fan a favor by handing the Wilpons a large check and just contracting the f***ing team. End this total bullshit.

darko

Feb 16, 2009

I'll take the Braves. They have tons of pitching.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Gold Coast Suns @ Brisbane Lions
    Gold Coast Suns @ Brisbane Lions
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $36,790.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Cagliari vs Lecce
    Cagliari vs Lecce
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $25.00