Proposal: Screw the Leafs, Let's all hate the penguins. Cooke lacerated my heart :(

Bomber0104

Apr 8, 2007
Burlington
As a Leafs fan, I am brutally sympathetic towards what happened to Karlsson. Fantastic player not just for you guys but basically all hockey fans (Leafs fans too) to enjoy. I've also developed quite a hate for the Penguins at this point just for keeping Cooke on their team. I've always hated the guy. It sucks but at least it is a short season and EK is gonna be ready to go for October.

tacogeoff

Jul 18, 2011
Killarney, MB
well hopefully they start to feel the hate tonight :D Cant wait to hear the chant : Mario's Pool boy! Maybe someone will have something for Cooke. Hope to get a big W tonight.

Oyabun

Dec 29, 2009
I've never hated the Leafs. They hate us way more for some reason. Our rivalry isn't even relevant.

Identical to the Sweden vs. Finland rivalry.

Not being a big NHL fan in the past, this season I have thoroughly enjoyed watching Ottawa and Karlssons success. I don't know about the pens but I will gladly shovel coal on the Cooke hating train.

Countdown0

Deep Breath... nope, still mad!
Jun 28, 2010
Ottawa
Matt Cooke is scum, and all of the people who defend him are barely any better. The Pens and are vile ******** for keeping him employed. I hate the Pens anyway, but Cooke is their most dirty player. I'll keep hating the Pens whether he stays or goes in this off season though. They are all rats.

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
I don't hate the Penguins and never have, yes they have Cooke, but I won't hate a team for one player. Yes they have been lucky to get Lemieux AND Jagr AND Crosby AND Malkin, but anyone could have got lucky in Pit's case they got relatively few cups. If we had playoff series that actually had intensity I might (the two 5 game series weren't close, or intense)

They have 3 cups in the last 20 years....

Thats tied for the most.

I liked them as a child I actually dont mind there players but there has been many unfortunate events for the sens. Clearly I hate cooke but thats about it.

However their fanbase thats an entire other story, arrogant, uneducated people with a massive superiority complex. Not only that they are gifted 4 generational talents and as soon as they start losing just a little bit no one goes to the games. No fans deserve less in the history of the sport.

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
This thread should be closed, everyone has had their say on this subject & there is nothing more than can be gained by venting. It happened, it's a tragety for us as fans but it's over & we have to move on with what we have. Let's get behind the players who are here & cheer for them. This could also be seen as an interesting time for Sen fans as to how the prospects play & what Murray might do.

X66

114-110
Aug 18, 2008

Thats tied for the most.

I liked them as a child I actually dont mind there players but there has been many unfortunate events for the sens. Clearly I hate cooke but thats about it.

However their fanbase thats an entire other story, arrogant, uneducated people with a massive superiority complex. Not only that they are gifted 4 generational talents and as soon as they start losing just a little bit no one goes to the games. No fans deserve less in the history of the sport.

No it's not. The Red Wings have 4 cups in the last 20 years, as well has 6 cup finals appearances in that span(also the most).

I do agree with the last paragraph though with regards to the not showing up after having great talent just handed to them. Imagine other markets with that positive fortune.

14ari13

Oct 19, 2006
Norway
You know what?
I am a Wings fan and I do not follow much EC, but this injury to Karksson has made the Pens my most hated team on my list.

Karma!!!

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site

Thats tied for the most.

Apologies on the cup count I stand corrected Detroit has one more. I guess I stiill feel that 3 cups and being a perenial contender is good over 20 years but what do I know....

Last edited by a moderator:

Vegeta

God Dammit Nappa
May 2, 2009
Capsule Corp.
Pens fan coming in peace. As a fanbase, us Pens fans know the feeling of losing one's star player better than anyone. We've watched Lemieux's career which was so riddled with injuries, that he could barely play a full season and couldn't even tie his own skates. We watched Jagr, the best player of the decade, get traded to Washington for scraps. We've seen a season in which we were the best team in the league get pissed down the toilet due to Crosby's concussion and Malkin's torn ACL/MCL. We've also seen a particular player (Patrick Lalime) get traded to your team and flourish for quite a few years, while we had to suffer through terrible goaltending as my namesake was washed up and we had no backup. The point is, we understand how ****** it is to lose a great talent for a long period of time.

As for Matt Cooke, it really comes down to opinion, and we'll never know exactly what happened. Of course, I give my player the benefit of the doubt, but I admittedly am as biased and ignorant of his intentions as everyone else.

Moving on...

I've always had a dislike for your team, starting with the Barrasso trade. I wasn't that old (nor wise) then, so instead of understanding what the heck went on, I just blindly hated the Sens for taking my favourite player away from me. With the past couple playoff series, they really haven't been that competitive, we've both dominated eachother. Hopefully we meet again this year in the playoffs, and have a good one. I'd love to see Karlsson recover by May. :)

Last edited:

Jorge Garcia

Dec 9, 2004
I've always had a dislike for your team, starting with the Barrasso trade. I wasn't that old (nor wise) then, so instead of understanding what the heck went on, I just blindly hated the Sens for taking my favourite player away from me... :)
That`s funny, because I hated the trade, too. We got a washed-up Barrasso, who was mediocre and nondescript in a losing playoff effort, and you got Tugnutt, who stood on his head and was your playoff MVP, and Janne Laukkanen, my favorite Sens Dman, who IIRC led the Pens in playoff icetime. Great deal for you guys.
About Cooke: I can`t read his mind, but that distinct stomping action in the video is hard to ignore. No way he planned the specific injury he inflicted, but his intent was far from pure. Hockey play gone bad, the league says. The kindest explanation I can muster is: Attempted slewfoot gone bad.

Last edited:

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
Barasson had some great quotes to the media ... like ....when he was asked about a few shots that hit the post, he said ... "do you want me to stop the ones that go wide as well?" He was hilarious. He played well for Ottawa but it was another case of the team not be able to score goals to support him.

Shady Machine

Aug 6, 2010
Pittsburgh is an easy team to dislike. Crosby and Malkin are generational talents but are also huge *****s that get away with lots of cheap shots during games because of their reputation.

Then there's Cooke, Kennedy, Orpik, Adams, Kennedy, Armstrong and Talbot (before), and Letang at times...

Add in one of the most biased fanbases in the NHL and the fact that they knocked the Sens out of the playoffs 2 of the last 3 times the Sens made the playoffs and they're easily my most hated team now.

I'm a Pens fan and not trying to troll but how can you quantify "one of the most biased fanbases in the NHL"? How does one figure out what fanbases are more or less biased? Based on this thread, it seems that your fanbase is fairly biased (as all are).

Shady Machine

Aug 6, 2010
mario complained his whole career about the mistreatment of stars. Now he employs Cooke.

Melnyk complained about the Pens and that players like Cooke shouldn't be in the league. Now he emplys Chris Neil. See, every team can do this. They are all hypocrites, Mario included.

Indrew

Feb 6, 2007
Melnyk complained about the Pens and that players like Cooke shouldn't be in the league. Now he emplys Chris Neil. See, every team can do this. They are all hypocrites.

He has always employed Chris Neil...

List of Chris Neil's suspensions:

... weird, google couldn't find any. It must be broken.

I'll try it on bing.... still nothing. What's going on?

BK201

Apr 11, 2011
I'm a Pens fan and not trying to troll but how can you quantify "one of the most biased fanbases in the NHL"? How does one figure out what fanbases are more or less biased? Based on this thread, it seems that your fanbase is fairly biased (as all are).

Yeah we're all biased for sure.

Shady Machine

Aug 6, 2010
He has always employed Chris Neil...

List of Chris Neil's suspensions:

... weird, google couldn't find any. It must be broken.

I'll try it on bing.... still nothing. What's going on?

I know he has always employed him, I was just using the other poster's language. Cooke has been with the Pens for quite some time as well. Anyway, my point on Neil stands. If Melnyk wants to say the following about Cooke "It's something that never should have happened. This player should never be playing in this league. It's a league for elite players." and then employ the likes of Neil, Ruutu, Konopka etc over the years then he is a hypocrite. Cooke certainly was/is a dirty player (I say he's changed but I'll buy that he is still dirty for the sake of argument) but he is a better hockey player than Chris Neil. The dude is a very good 3rd liner and chipped in 19 goals last season. The point is, he belongs in this league.

The only point I was trying to make is that if Mario is a hypocrite, then so is Melnyk (as well as the 28 other ownerships in the league).

That said, I am very, very sorry for what happened to Karlsson. As Pens fans, we know what it feels like to lose a star player for an extended period of time.

pepty

Let's win it all
Feb 22, 2005
I know he has always employed him, I was just using the other poster's language. Cooke has been with the Pens for quite some time as well. Anyway, my point on Neil stands. If Melnyk wants to say the following about Cooke "It's something that never should have happened. This player should never be playing in this league. It's a league for elite players." and then employ the likes of Neil, Ruutu, Konopka etc over the years then he is a hypocrite. Cooke certainly was/is a dirty player (I say he's changed but I'll buy that he is still dirty for the sake of argument) but he is a better hockey player than Chris Neil. The dude is a very good 3rd liner and chipped in 19 goals last season. The point is, he belongs in this league.

The only point I was trying to make is that if Mario is a hypocrite, then so is Melnyk (as well as the 28 other ownerships in the league).

That said, I am very, very sorry for what happened to Karlsson. As Pens fans, we know what it feels like to lose a star player for an extended period of time.

Chirs Neil is the exact opposite of Cooke in many ways.
He is a stand up guy who hits hard and stands up for hits teammates.
He has no suspensions.

Cooke is in no way a stand up guy; his specialty is the gutless sneaky play. He has plenty of suspensions and deserves more. He is a dirty player who injures opponents and then runs and hides leaving his team mates to stand up for him.

I know that Neil=Cooke is a a point of view pushed by Pens fans especially after they became distraught when Neil went after their beloved "Cookie" however it doesn't hold water.

BringBackChara

Jan 23, 2013

You need to give your head a shake dude if you think Neil is as bad a Cooke. Talk about a blatant PENS HOMER.

Neil will stick up for his teammates and is accountable for his actions, like when he nailed Boychuk (ON A CLEAN HOCKEY HIT). He fought Chara afterwards. He has never been supsended by the league. He is a heart and soul player that would bleed for his teammates. The kind of player you want on your team. HE IS IN NO WAY = TO MATT COOKE.

StayThirstyMyFriend

Aug 9, 2009
Its funny, I don't mind the leafs or the habs teams anymore but I absoluetly hate their fans when it comes to hockey. Pittsburgh on the other hand I don't mind their fans but hate the team.

Why Neil went after Cooke instead of taking a solid dirty run at Letang is beyond me. The pens don't care if they lose a chump like cooke but you better believe you'll get their attention if you start taking out their good players. BTW, what happened to Spezza in the last game against the pens that ended his season?

BK201

Apr 11, 2011
Its funny, I don't mind the leafs or the habs teams anymore but I absoluetly hate their fans when it comes to hockey. Pittsburgh on the other hand I don't mind their fans but hate the team.

Why Neil went after Cooke instead of taking a solid dirty run at Letang is beyond me. The pens don't care if they lose a chump like cooke but you better believe you'll get their attention if you start taking out their good players. BTW, what happened to Spezza in the last game against the pens that ended his season?

It's just not right. If this team was like that i'd rather watch another.

Shady Machine

Aug 6, 2010
You need to give your head a shake dude if you think Neil is as bad a Cooke. Talk about a blatant PENS HOMER.

Neil will stick up for his teammates and is accountable for his actions, like when he nailed Boychuk (ON A CLEAN HOCKEY HIT). He fought Chara afterwards. He has never been supsended by the league. He is a heart and soul player that would bleed for his teammates. The kind of player you want on your team. HE IS IN NO WAY = TO MATT COOKE.

I never said Neil was as bad as Cooke or that they were equal in terms of dirty play. Try actually reading what I write instead of making inferences. I said IF Mario is a hypocrite, then so is Melnyk. That was my point and it is correct. Every owner is paying the salary of a goon (Cooke isn't really a goon. more of a agitator/cheapshot artist although again that is more in the past, bit I deigress) and for them to make public comments decrying one organization for employing them, while ignoring the fact that they do as well, is hypocritical.

I quoted where Melnyk said this is a league for elite players and that Cooke isn't one and therefore he shouldn't be in the league. He later went on to say "You will forget about guys like him (Cooke) in a year or two because they won't be playing in the league,". He is flat out wrong in that quote. Cooke is a good hockey player and will still be in this league in 3-4 years, assuming he is still healthy at his age. You may not like Cooke, you would be in a large majority of hockey fans, but the fact is that he is an NHL player and a good one at that. Your owner came off as unintelligent and irrational.

Anyway, we obviously won't agree on this issue and I am a visitor on your board so I don't want to push it anymore. So good day.

SixthSens

RIP Fugu
Dec 5, 2007

How one can say that after what he did to Savard is beyond me.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Finland vs Norway
    Finland vs Norway
    Wagers: 1
    Staked: $300.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Slovakia vs USA
    Slovakia vs USA
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $150.00