GDT: [SCP R1 GM5] Dallas Stars @ Calgary Flames - 8:30 PM CT (BSSW)

Elysian

Emo Stars Fan
Dec 4, 2011
Norton, OH
People need to start boo'ing Bowness in the lineup introductions.

Game 3 was a lot of cheers. Game 4 less cheers. Time for the boo birds.
They've been doing that for a long time already. There were definitely boos in the home games, just drowned out by the cheers.

Spotty 2 Hotty

Special teams, special plays, special players
Feb 28, 2008
ATX
Well, at least I now have the rest of my time freed up for a few months after last night. I'm not bothering watching Game 6 and couldn't care any less about any other team.

Here's to looking forward to another disappointing, uneventful offseason. :laugh:

FirstRowUpperDeck

May 20, 2014
Arlington, TX
Well, at least I now have the rest of my time freed up for a few months after last night. I'm not bothering watching Game 6 and couldn't care any less about any other team.

Here's to looking forward to another disappointing, uneventful offseason. :laugh:
To be fair, we have often been declared the champions of the off season. Even last year's haul of UFA is generally well regarded, with Suter, Raffl, Glendening, and Hakipana all providing decent seasons. Yes, some consternation about Suter's 4th year, which can be bought out, and we may have wanted JO to stay, but Suter was probably nearly equal for our "last run with this core."

We should probably focus more on why these guys haven't been champions of the in season.

FirstRowUpperDeck

May 20, 2014
Arlington, TX
Reading through this, a lot of words, frustration, and anger to basically say, "This is going how most people thought it would go, maybe even a bit better (at least if you listen to the national press). The Flames are playing like the high scoring second seed, and the Stars are playing like the low scoring 7th seed.

Captain Awesome

Mar 29, 2008
Long Beach, CA
So I hope Klinger is happy. I mean he has been so good this series he must be a lock for 8 mil per for 8 years now

To be fair he asked for a trade and then didn't get traded, so I'm gonna guess that no, he is not happy.

I was watching the third period and had to remind myself that the Stars were the ones behind and that they weren't just turtling on purpose, what an insane way to play the third period while down. It wasn't the first time this series where they've done that, but it's just bizarre to watch.

Last edited:

Elysian

Emo Stars Fan
Dec 4, 2011
Norton, OH
I fell asleep on the couch when we were up 1-0 and woke up to Calgary scoring their 2nd... Shut it off as soon as they got the 3rd goal.

Rory

Jun 14, 2017
Disappointed with a big D

Time to build around the kids has come
Which kids? Also will those kids show up. I think Robertson and Oettinger for sure are worth building around but both Miro and Roope have been massive disappointments this series. Its as if Hintz’s speed is gone. That’s what make him dangerous.

Troy McClure

Suter will never be scratched
Mar 12, 2002
South of Heaven
Reading through this, a lot of words, frustration, and anger to basically say, "This is going how most people thought it would go, maybe even a bit better (at least if you listen to the national press). The Flames are playing like the high scoring second seed, and the Stars are playing like the low scoring 7th seed.
Which is to say this follows through pre season worries about the state of the franchise. They wrote last season off as an injury recovery season, but this was their year! Most of us and most hockey media people were very skeptical, but this was the all in season.

Last season, the Stars finished with a pace equal to 88 points in a full season. Now with a season where the Stars were about as injury free as any team I've ever seen, they finished with 98 points and a wild card spot. Better, sure, but not a lot better.

Fluttering out in the first round is in line with preseason expectations, but it also looks bad because the Stars as constructed are in decline and the two biggest pieces weighing them down aren't going anywhere any time soon.

Fans can boo and demand major change, but it's difficult to expect great change when we're still going to have a third of the team's cap going to three guys who each underperform their huge contracts by only putting up 40 something points a season.

Last edited:

starsfan86

Sep 27, 2006
I still have a feeling they put Nill in some executive role and name Greeley gm. Otherwise I don’t understand why we brought him on. They are obviously not listening to him or using any kind of analytics.

Now that he has a half season of observing the team, he has an idea of what we need and what he has right now. Just a thought. Probably wishful thinking.

Kipper 17

Aug 11, 2006
Calgary, AB
Which kids? Also will those kids show up. I think Robertson and Oettinger for sure are worth building around but both Miro and Roope have been massive disappointments this series. Its as if Hintz’s speed is gone. That’s what make him dangerous.
I think it is very tough to evaluate anyone because of Bowness' system.

Get a new coach who plays a more balanced system next year and then evaluate who we want to keep. It would have been nice if they fired Bowness earlier this year so they could see these players play in a system that doesn't cripple offense but here we are...

Captain Awesome

Mar 29, 2008
Long Beach, CA
Which is to say this follows through pre season worries about the state of the franchise. They wrote last season off as an injury recovery season, but this was their year! Most of us and most hockey media people were very skeptical, but this was the all in season.

Last season, the Stars finished with a pace equal to 88 points in a full season. Now with a season where the Stars were about as injury free as any team I've ever seen, they finished with 98 points and a wild card spot. Better, sure, but not a lot better.

Fluttering out in the first round is in line with preseason expectations, but it also looks bad because the Stars as constructed are in decline and the two biggest pieces weighing them down aren't going anywhere any time soon.

Fans can boo and demand major change, but it's difficult to expect great change when we're still going to have a third of the team's cap going to three guys who each underperform their huge contracts by only putting up 40 something points a season.

Sometimes I think the only difference between this team and last year's team is that last year they shit the bed in OT and this year they got super lucky in OT. It's not like the key pieces changed much. In many ways I think they got even less out of this year's squad than last year's squad. I don't wanna do a postmortem on a team that is still playing though, so I'll just leave it there for now.

BfantZ

Jun 22, 2017
Sometimes I think the only difference between this team and last year's team is that last year they shit the bed in OT and this year they got super lucky in OT. It's not like the key pieces changed much. In many ways I think they got even less out of this year's squad than last year's squad. I don't wanna do a postmortem on a team that is still playing though, so I'll just leave it there for now.
I’d say one huge difference is that oettenger can stop breakaways now .

Reactions: LT and starsfan86

LT

Global Moderator
Jul 23, 2010
The offense has slightly improved from last year, but the defense has somehow gotten considerably worse.

It feels very much like the opposite, though.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad