GDT: [SCP R1 GM1] Dallas Stars @ Calgary Flames - 9:00 PM CT (BSSW)

hairylikebear

///////////////
Apr 30, 2009
Houston
But the thing is Miro got his massive contract based on the expected offensive upside. That can’t be ignored here. The team won’t say it publicly, but you know the front office is very disappointed with Miro’s season. If this level of production is just what he is, this is another bad contract for the Stars. No team is giving a defender $8+ million a season all for a bunch of poke checks being his highlight reel.
I agree, and this is something the front office is well aware of as they evaluate a possible (probably impossible tbh) Bowness extension.

Captain Awesome

Mar 29, 2008
Long Beach, CA
I still think a large amount of his shaping is just the system he has been forced to play in since he was a rookie. He wouldn't be the first player with some offensive ability this team has neutered. Sometimes I think these guys have forgotten basic skills because they've played so much safe, dump and chase hockey. Like they've forgotten how to stickhandle and pass tape to tape, as well as catching pucks in stride. I think ultimately, Troy is right, the Avs got the higher upside prospect, but that doesn't mean Miro can't be better than this.

Guys develop, and he's still very young. I hope his brain hasn't been fried by obsessively defensive hockey to the point that it's dulled his offensive instincts for good, though. I doubt it, but he may need a coach more encouraging of offensive creativity. It links to the bad powerplay entries, the Stars are rigid as hell and it makes them predictable.

I actually had a bit of a lightbulb moment today reflecting on the game. Regardless of the outcome of this series, I'm very happy at how well Oettinger played in net. Could you imagine another Turco? Lights out in the regular season and turns into an absolute pumpkin under pressure? I could see Oettinger still having off games, but at least we know he is capable of showing up when it matters. That's huge for a goalie, even if it's just one game.

Reactions: LT and Blindsummit

Captain Awesome

Mar 29, 2008
Long Beach, CA
I agree, and this is something the front office is well aware of as they evaluate a possible (probably impossible tbh) Bowness extension.

I think you're giving a lot of credit to a front office that paid Lindell nearly $6M and seemingly celebrate this. I could absolutely them looking at Miro, think he's better defensively than Lindell and is great in the neutral zone and be completely satisfied with his cap hit. I personally don't think the pay is super far off even if this is where he tops out, but it would be disappointing for sure.

Reactions: Elysian

hairylikebear

///////////////
Apr 30, 2009
Houston
I generally don't assume the front office is going to severely misevaluate or operate in a dysfunctional manner, which I guess around here qualifies as giving them too much credit.

I don't expect the front office to be disappointed with Miro, more-so with coaches who fail to inspire his offensive gifts. I don't think his problem is temperament, per se. It's an asset, because he is the perfect player from a coach's perspective. If you give him instructions to make simple plays and keep the puck out of the net, he's going to do it and he'll do a great job. If you tell him to press the attack and be aggressive, he's going to do that. He might not do as great of a job but we learned in his rookie season that he's pretty quick to figure things out.

Bowness is only passively holding Heiskanen back by not actively pushing him into greater offensive aggression. The front office should be looking at the past two seasons as an indication that a different direction is probably a better direction.

Last edited:
Reactions: DieselPig

Satan

MIGHTY
Apr 13, 2010
Lapland
all strengths
1651710621890.png

even strength
1651710718845.png

im not worried about miro

M88K

irreverent
May 24, 2014
But the thing is Miro got his massive contract based on the expected offensive upside. That can’t be ignored here. The team won’t say it publicly, but you know the front office is very disappointed with Miro’s season. If this level of production is just what he is, this is another bad contract for the Stars. No team is giving a defender $8+ million a season all for a bunch of poke checks being his highlight reel.
I mean maybe they should have thought of that before giving him that contract.
But i doubt they're worried 1yr in

Satan

MIGHTY
Apr 13, 2010
Lapland
So if more of his shots were going in as prior rates, he has about 39 points instead of 36? Is that right?
It's late so excuse any math errors

Assuming 82 games instead of 70 it brings him to 10 goals instead of 5, so 41 pts from 36. 14% increase in point production.

Thats still low. It would be 32nd in defenseman scoring but Heiskanen is in the 90-95th percentile for defense. I'm okay with that and I'm sure we think he could take a step forward offensively in a non-Bones system + additional powerplay time after Klingberg walks.

Worth also noting Makar played 292 PP mins this year to Heiskanens 158 mins. I think if you doubled Miro's pp time you're looking at another 10 points.

He isn't Makar offensively but there's potential there (reality check being the 19-20 playoff run) and he's insane defensively. You're not going to look back at his contract and regret it.

Kcb12345

Jun 6, 2017
It's late so excuse any math errors

Assuming 82 games instead of 70 it brings him to 10 goals instead of 5, so 41 pts from 36. 14% increase in point production.

Thats still low. It would be 32nd in defenseman scoring but Heiskanen is in the 90-95th percentile for defense. I'm okay with that and I'm sure we think he could take a step forward offensively in a non-Bones system + additional powerplay time after Klingberg walks.

Worth also noting Makar played 292 PP mins this year to Heiskanens 158 mins. I think if you doubled Miro's pp time you're looking at another 10 points.

He isn't Makar offensively but there's potential there (reality check being the 19-20 playoff run) and he's insane defensively. You're not going to look back at his contract and regret it.

Not to mention he isn't exactly spending his 2nd unit PP time with the likes of MacKinnon, Rantanen, etc.

Makar is as elite as it gets offensively but being on the Avs doesn't hurt either. He's an example of everything going absolutely perfectly for a player (team, teammates, style of play, etc.). Would be so curious to see what his numbers would be here in this system. I wonder that for a lot of players, but especially ones who are in currently perfect situations.

Would have to think Heiskanen's production would at least be at or above what Devon Toews is doing right now (if Miro played for Colorado I mean).

Best not to judge too harshly yet on offensive stats for this Bowness coached team

LT

Global Moderator
Jul 23, 2010
Defensemen, especially defensive focused players, can take a long time to settle in. Look at Hedman amd Ekblad, both took 7ish years to become truly elite players.

Makar, meanwhile, could end up like Karlsson or Mike Green long term. There's no guarantee his production continues to be this high, and there really aren't many precedents for it either.

Miro's numbers are very good, definitely top pair/good #1. I think we all know he can get better and become a truly elite defender, a Norris contender every year. Lidstrom took 7 years to earn his first Norris nomination and 9 years to win his first. Hedman 8 years and 9 years. Even Ray f***ing Bourque didn't win his first for 8 years.

Sports2

smack my bisch up
Jul 1, 2018
Shame to waste that performance from Otter but not exactly surprising. Not counting on Dallas scoring 2 goals Thursday so I’ll probably write this off 0-2 coming back to Dallas. Happens though, they’ve been pretty bad on the road. We’ll see what home ice can do for them.
I’ll own up to this. They scored two goals- though one was an empty netter. The possibility of them holding a lead into the final two minutes hadn’t entered my brain whatsoever. I figured it would have to have at least been 1-1. Didn’t expect that game from Oettinger.

BfantZ

Jun 22, 2017
Not gonna lie guys , I feel pretty optimistic going back to American Airlines center , 1-1 . If otter can keep playing like he’s playing we will win this series .

Reactions: Kipper 17

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad