Scouting report on top 10 for 2010 draft

Senator Stanley

Dec 11, 2003
Visit site
I need to place a tongue-in-cheek smiley here. I think it's funny how posters say things like, "Wow, there are some great prospects for (name absolutely any year here)". Yup! Some of these great prospects are so good they might even go top five in the draft! That's how good they are! OK- Enough tongue-in-cheekness. Please continue.

Not every top ten is as good as the next. Some draft years lack top end talent, but obviously guys go in the top ten. This draft year looks to have a great deal of high end talent.

pouskin74*

You answered my question...He was one of 3 or 4 names for 2010 I have been hearing about over the past few seasons.

he is late 91 and most defently good prospect and yes he was known 2 years already as potential high pick( i think first round isnt bad at all) from Russia but time has been changed and there is a other guys from Russia who has been came on surface - Kabanov,Kuznetsov,Galiev,Barbashev (all 92) and Tarasenko,Burmistrov (both 91 ) .

scoutman1

Twitter - scoutman33
Feb 19, 2005
www.facebook.com
it is a good top 10 i think...as of right now there are alot of guys who are going to make pushes for top 10 including guys like Erik Gudbranson, Brett Connolly, Stanislav Galiev, Viktor Ohman, Vladimir Tarasenko, Johan Gustafsson, so i think right now the top 10 listed is very very strong top 10. I love how Mark Pysyk is there, i love him as a defender, i think he could be better than Erik Gudbranson in the long run.

This is a scary year for Russia, maybe the most amazing crop of top end talent russians in some time:

Kirill Kabanov, Vladimir Tarasenko, Evgeny Kuznetson, Stanislav Galiev, Maxime Kitsyn, Sergei Barbashev, Alexander Gogolev, Alexander Burmistrov.

seadawg

Sep 22, 2008
This is a scary year for Russia, maybe the most amazing crop of top end talent russians in some time:

Kirill Kabanov, Vladimir Tarasenko, Evgeny Kuznetson, Stanislav Galiev, Maxime Kitsyn, Sergei Barbashev, Alexander Gogolev, Alexander Burmistrov.

scoutman1, and others in the know, I am wondering how you'd rank these Russians? I am in particular interested in Kabanov, Tarasenko, Kuznetson, and Kitsyn. From what I have gathered, Kabanov seems to be considered by most to be the best of the bunch, but given the way Tarasenko played at the U18s and the way Kuznetson has really been increasing his stock recently, I am wondering how you would rank those 4 players right now and how you think they will eventually be ranked when they are drafted in 2010.

NeonDion

Jun 21, 2006
Hall is also quite physical and will dish out the big hit from time to time. He did this with regularity against the Knights and often it would change the momentum of the game.

JL17

Mar 12, 2009
London
Hall is also quite physical and will dish out the big hit from time to time. He did this with regularity against the Knights and often it would change the momentum of the game.

I will say Hall is very good at picking his spots. He was silent for the first game or two of the series then he figured out that is was good idea. He became a much better player later in game 2 and the rest of the series. He will always have a soft spot in me for blasting JT...:handclap:

Jared Knight should be top 20 right now. If this kid was allowed to play this year he could of and probably would have been rookie of the year. 15 goals and 15 assist playing maybe 7 minutes a night...no PP time or PK time either. 3 goals in the playoffs for mainly riding the pine.

pouskin74*

scoutman1, and others in the know, I am wondering how you'd rank these Russians? I am in particular interested in Kabanov, Tarasenko, Kuznetson, and Kitsyn. From what I have gathered, Kabanov seems to be considered by most to be the best of the bunch, but given the way Tarasenko played at the U18s and the way Kuznetson has really been increasing his stock recently, I am wondering how you would rank those 4 players right now and how you think they will eventually be ranked when they are drafted in 2010.

1-Kabanov - number 1(Russian ranking and overall) and will be first or second pick of the draft
2-Kuznetsov- number 2 and top 10
3-Galiev- number 3 and top 10
4-Tarasenko- number 4 and top 20
5-Burmistrov -number 5 and top 20
6-Kitsyn-6 and top 30
7-Barbashev - 7 and top 30

thats how its look like right now.

TheLeastOfTheBunch

Franchise Centre
Jun 28, 2007
Toronto
This draft's top 10-12 is really loaded with star talent ..... You have a shot at drafting a franchise player by the 10th pick ! My boy Brett Connolly is very underrated , but will be a top 5 pick IMO . This is a draft I want deperately for the Leafs to have a top 5 pick . I want Toronto to pick a player in the draft that can replace Sundin as our franchise #1 centre .

Tormentor

Dec 27, 2007
Too Far
it is a good top 10 i think...as of right now there are alot of guys who are going to make pushes for top 10 including guys like Erik Gudbranson, Brett Connolly, Stanislav Galiev, Viktor Ohman, Vladimir Tarasenko, Johan Gustafsson, so i think right now the top 10 listed is very very strong top 10.

Who do you think has more potential, Jack Campbell or Johan Gustafsson?
What would be your top30 at the moment?

1-Kabanov - number 1(Russian ranking and overall) and will be first or second pick of the draft
2-Kuznetsov- number 2 and top 10
3-Galiev- number 3 and top 10
4-Tarasenko- number 4 and top 20
5-Burmistrov -number 5 and top 20
6-Kitsyn-6 and top 30
7-Barbashev - 7 and top 30

thats how its look like right now.

What about Nikita Zaytsev? He looked good at the U18WJC's.

scoutman1

Twitter - scoutman33
Feb 19, 2005
www.facebook.com
Who do you think has more potential, Jack Campbell or Johan Gustafsson?
What would be your top30 at the moment?

well ill put my top 30 up soon on the bored...and Gustafsson IMO might be the top goalie in the draft, he is just amazing. I think Maxime Clermont from Gatineau Olympiques has the potential to be the 2nd best goalie in the draft if he works hard and gets more consistant over the summer.

Dave D

Mar 8, 2002
Visit site
Riley Sheahan

There is a kid named Riley Sheahan who will be playing in Notre Dame (NCAA) next season who should be a guy who quickly jumps into this mix.

JFA87-66-99

Jun 12, 2007
USA
I'd like too see some other people's Top 10-20 for 2010. How about Kitsyn,Gudbranson,Ohman,Tarasenko,Galiev,Pettersson,etc. Are these players looking like possible top 20 picks?

scoutman1

Twitter - scoutman33
Feb 19, 2005
www.facebook.com
My Top 30 for this draft:

1. Taylor Hall
2. Kirill Kabanov
3. Brandon Gormley
4. Cam Fowler
5. Mikael Granlund
6. Teemu Pulkkinen
7. Evgeny Kuznetsov
8. John McFarland
9. Stanislav Galiev
10. Erik Gudbranson
11. Tom Kuhnhackl
12. Brett Connolly
13. Viktor Ohman
14. Johan Gustafsson
15. Mark Pysyk
16. Ryan Martindale
17. Vladimir Tarasenko
18. Joey Hishon
19. Jordan Weal
20. Sergei Barbashev
21. Tyler Seguin
22. Ben Duffy
23. Stephen Silas
24. Jared Knight
25. Austin Watson
26. John Merrill
27. Guillaume Asselin
28. Maxime Clermont
29. Martin Marincin
30. Nino Niederriter

I did this from memory i bet i missed someone LOL

scoutman1

Twitter - scoutman33
Feb 19, 2005
www.facebook.com
My Top 30 for this draft:

1. Taylor Hall
2. Kirill Kabanov
3. Brandon Gormley
4. Cam Fowler
5. Mikael Granlund
6. Teemu Pulkkinen
7. Evgeny Kuznetsov
8. John McFarland
9. Stanislav Galiev
10. Erik Gudbranson
11. Tom Kuhnhackl
12. Brett Connolly
13. Viktor Ohman
14. Johan Gustafsson
15. Mark Pysyk
16. Ryan Martindale
17. Vladimir Tarasenko
18. Joey Hishon
19. Jordan Weal
20. Sergei Barbashev
21. Tyler Seguin
22. Ben Duffy
23. Stephen Silas
24. Jared Knight
25. Austin Watson
26. John Merrill
27. Guillaume Asselin
28. Maxime Clermont
29. Adam Pettersson
30. Nino Niederriter

I did this from memory i bet i missed someone LOL

Last edited:

seadawg

Sep 22, 2008
I'm surprised you have Granlund ranked so high. The kid is tiny and reminds me an awful lot of Rajala. I don't quite understand why Rajala is a 2nd round pick (at best) in 2009 but Granlund will be a top 5 pick in 2010. Seems to me that everything that went against Rajala in '09 should also go against Granlund in '10.

At least Pulkkinen, the other highly-touted Finn, has the height advantage. If he can fill-out (which I am sure he will a bit), I can see him going in the top 10, maybe even top 5.

scoutman1

Twitter - scoutman33
Feb 19, 2005
www.facebook.com
I'm surprised you have Granlund ranked so high. The kid is tiny and reminds me an awful lot of Rajala. I don't quite understand why Rajala is a 2nd round pick (at best) in 2009 but Granlund will be a top 5 pick in 2010. Seems to me that everything that went against Rajala in '09 should also go against Granlund in '10.

At least Pulkkinen, the other highly-touted Finn, has the height advantage. If he can fill-out (which I am sure he will a bit), I can see him going in the top 10, maybe even top 5.

how does he remind you of Rajala, Granlund is way stronger and willing to pay the price, he controls the game and is dominating way more than what Rajala ever did, not only is his hockey sense and skills way better than Rajala but his core strength on the ice is excellent, and his leadership skills are amazing, plus Granlund plays great at both ends of the ice.

seadawg

Sep 22, 2008
I am mostly drawing a comparison between Granlund and Rajala based on their size. I quite honestly don't understand how Granlund can be a top 5 pick whereas Rajala is a 2nd or 3rd rounder. Perhaps Granlund is more skilled and a better "all around" talent, but I don't see the gap between them being all that great. If Rajala's size is his biggest issue, I don't see why the same issue isn't working against Granlund also.

I have no doubt what you are saying is true about the two players, and I have seen others rank Granlund quite high as well, but I have to admit that I have my doubts about him and think there is a good chance he will fall to the 2nd or 3rd round as well by the time 2010 rolls around.

scoutman1

Twitter - scoutman33
Feb 19, 2005
www.facebook.com
I am mostly drawing a comparison between Granlund and Rajala based on their size. I quite honestly don't understand how Granlund can be a top 5 pick whereas Rajala is a 2nd or 3rd rounder. Perhaps Granlund is more skilled and a better "all around" talent, but I don't see the gap between them being all that great. If Rajala's size is his biggest issue, I don't see why the same issue isn't working against Granlund also.

I have no doubt what you are saying is true about the two players, and I have seen others rank Granlund quite high as well, but I have to admit that I have my doubts about him and think there is a good chance he will fall to the 2nd or 3rd round as well by the time 2010 rolls around.

it is not about size with Rajala, it is his willingness to play in traffic, his strength and his ability to play in his own zone...on that hand i think you will see Rajala go in the first round though...but that is the difference with the two..Granlund is well rounded, strong, leader, goes to the net and fights along the boards.

seadawg

Sep 22, 2008
thanks for your analysis...

it will be interesting to see how the two fair on their respective draft days

Ad

Upcoming events

• Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $5,220.00
    Event closes
    • Updated: