Scott suspended two games

BillR10

Nov 16, 2008
The reality is Scott would have been suspened in any other sport. It was a joke that in the past Scott wouldn't have been suspended for what he did. Utterly ridicoulous and indefensible.

Well I can forsee a status quo where the NHL will not allow him to do much of anything. Those days are gone. Self policing is being replaced by actual policing.

First this isn't any other sport, our some of us wouldn't be watching it. This is a man's sport and fighting is a part of it.

Second as for the "actual policing", that day is not coming soon. Too many double standards currently in the system to leave it to the zebras. Yes the traditional enforcer is being fazed out but it's for a slightly smaller guy that can actually skate a shift and drop the gloves for his teammates.

Imo, I love what Scott did. If he got suspended for 5 games, I would still love what he did. His actions told the rest of the league, if you want to come after our stars and cheap shot them like the kings last playoffs, be prepared for me to come after you regardless of the consequences. That is his job on this team. To stand up for our players and make them a closer unit though his actions.

I hated the sharks signing him originally due to Scott actual hockey ability as I would of liked someone more like a Carcillo that has some ability and can fight but after this...... :handclap:

Sleepy

rEf jOsE
Apr 7, 2009
Scott did his job. The NHL supplemental discipline has been a joke post-Shanahan. At least Shanahan was right 90% of the time and would get the length of suspension within a game or two.

This new regime... so many inconsistencies to start. It's like Colin Campbell all over again.

WantonAbandon

Oct 16, 2011
First this isn't any other sport, our some of us wouldn't be watching it. This is a man's sport and fighting is a part of it.

Second as for the "actual policing", that day is not coming soon. Too many double standards currently in the system to leave it to the zebras. Yes the traditional enforcer is being fazed out but it's for a slightly smaller guy that can actually skate a shift and drop the gloves for his teammates.

Imo, I love what Scott did. If he got suspended for 5 games, I would still love what he did. His actions told the rest of the league, if you want to come after our stars and cheap shot them like the kings last playoffs, be prepared for me to come after you regardless of the consequences. That is his job on this team. To stand up for our players and make them a closer unit though his actions.

I hated the sharks signing him originally due to Scott actual hockey ability as I would of liked someone more like a Carcillo that has some ability and can fight but after this...... :handclap:

The UFC is pretty cool.

SactoShark

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
May 1, 2009
Sacramento
The problem in the equation is that usually some ****-heal takes a guy like Hertl or Müller out, then Scott takes on their worst player… not necessarily the guy that did the crime.

The Anaheim game was a rarity in that sense. But it was also a rarity that every Shork was willing to stand up and get tossed too. So maybe there's something infectious and entertaining going on in the locker room. I thought it was pretty hilarious the Shorks bench was telling Niemi to go fight Andersen.

Jul 10, 2010
Scott socked a guy and told his teammates he and everyone else has their backs

And got suspended two games he likely doesn't dress anyway

I like it

SJGoalie32

Apr 7, 2007
TealTown, USA
Imo, I love what Scott did. If he got suspended for 5 games, I would still love what he did. His actions told the rest of the league, if you want to come after our stars and cheap shot them like the kings last playoffs, be prepared for me to come after you regardless of the consequences.

I'm sorry, but....what?!

What exactly did Scott do that is supposed to deter anything or send a message to anybody else in the league?

Tim Jackman is a 4th-line plug in his 11th NHL season. He averages less than 8 mins/game of ice time, and for his career has more than 3 TIMES as many fighting majors than goals. Tim Jackman has taken more than a punch or two in his time. In what possible alternate universe do you actually believe that a 2-second fight in which John Scott landed at best one half jab to the back of his helmet is going to deter Jackman (or anyone else like him) in any way, shape, or form?

For heaven's sake, Scott fought Jackman earlier in the game (back before any tempers had even had a chance to get their legs warmed up). In that fight, Scott landed a few solid punches before going down. By your logic, such a solid beatdown should have clearly deterred Jackman from doing any.....and there he is taking cheap shots at Vlasic after the whistle. Well that "deterrent" lasted all of....what, 2 periods? (In goon time, 11 shifts)

Oh well, at the very least Scott's passionate/suspendable defense of his teammate got people to stop taking cheap shots at Vlasic......for almost 3 whole minutes (until Karlsson got involved in the Chop-a-Pickle party)!

So now let me see if I have this straight.......

Let's say I'm a dirtbag rat who plays for another team. I know what the Sharks best players can do when given free reign of the ice, and I watched what happened to the Sharks in the postseason when their star defender (Vlasic) was sidelined for the rest of the series by a borderline hit. Like Jackman, I have more fighting majors than goals, so I'm not only VERY used to taking punches, but throwing punches and trying to injure opponents is pretty much the only reason I have an NHL contract. And your biggest weapon against me, the big message you're going to send to me is......if I go after your star players, you will *punish* me by landing half of glancing blow to the shell of my helmet, taking a senseless penalty that gets you suspended and all but negates any penalty I might've drawn earlier, and the ensuing PP will help generate the only goal our team's offense can get.

"....if you want to come after our stars and cheap shot them like the kings last playoffs, be prepared for me to come after you regardless of the consequences."

Beat up Vlasic, get Scott suspended (after he cracks his knuckles on my helmet), receive a free PP, and generate a goal. I'm sorry, what part of that am I supposed to be afraid of? I go after your stars, and you volunteer to suffer all the consequences (for which we benefit).

You know what message that sends me......run Vlasic every single period.

TheHockeyRant

Apr 19, 2014
Reno, NV
I'm sorry, but....what?!

What exactly did Scott do that is supposed to deter anything or send a message to anybody else in the league?

Tim Jackman is a 4th-line plug in his 11th NHL season. He averages less than 8 mins/game of ice time, and for his career has more than 3 TIMES as many fighting majors than goals. Tim Jackman has taken more than a punch or two in his time. In what possible alternate universe do you actually believe that a 2-second fight in which John Scott landed at best one half jab to the back of his helmet is going to deter Jackman (or anyone else like him) in any way, shape, or form?

For heaven's sake, Scott fought Jackman earlier in the game (back before any tempers had even had a chance to get their legs warmed up). In that fight, Scott landed a few solid punches before going down. By your logic, such a solid beatdown should have clearly deterred Jackman from doing any.....and there he is taking cheap shots at Vlasic after the whistle. Well that "deterrent" lasted all of....what, 2 periods? (In goon time, 11 shifts)

Oh well, at the very least Scott's passionate/suspendable defense of his teammate got people to stop taking cheap shots at Vlasic......for almost 3 whole minutes (until Karlsson got involved in the Chop-a-Pickle party)!

So now let me see if I have this straight.......

Let's say I'm a dirtbag rat who plays for another team. I know what the Sharks best players can do when given free reign of the ice, and I watched what happened to the Sharks in the postseason when their star defender (Vlasic) was sidelined for the rest of the series by a borderline hit. Like Jackman, I have more fighting majors than goals, so I'm not only VERY used to taking punches, but throwing punches and trying to injure opponents is pretty much the only reason I have an NHL contract. And your biggest weapon against me, the big message you're going to send to me is......if I go after your star players, you will *punish* me by landing half of glancing blow to the shell of my helmet, taking a senseless penalty that gets you suspended and all but negates any penalty I might've drawn earlier, and the ensuing PP will help generate the only goal our team's offense can get.

"....if you want to come after our stars and cheap shot them like the kings last playoffs, be prepared for me to come after you regardless of the consequences."

Beat up Vlasic, get Scott suspended (after he cracks his knuckles on my helmet), receive a free PP, and generate a goal. I'm sorry, what part of that am I supposed to be afraid of? I go after your stars, and you volunteer to suffer all the consequences (for which we benefit).

You know what message that sends me......run Vlasic every single period.

I understand the whole rant. But to answer the actual question, Scott prevented Jackman from fighting ANYONE. Would you rather have Jackman fight Scott, or go after Mueller..or Vlasic or Thornton? It is a very minor thing but it worked this time. Do I think Scott should always be in the lineup HELL NO, but in this instance he went after their biggest physical threat...and it worked.

Scott cannot do anything to prevent other fights, no enforcer can. Ryan Getzlaf started the madness back in the first period which was then followed by Corey Perry. That isn't normal. Players WILL ALWAYS BE INJURED whether there is fighting or not. That is the nature of the game.

But if you happen to have an enforcer in the lineup one night HE BETTER DO HIS DAMN JOB. Scott did HIS DAMN JOB.

Quid Pro Clowe

Dec 28, 2008
The people downplaying what Scott did, please watch the video. Jackman was scared ****less when Scott skated up to him. He will think twice about suckerpunching Vlasic or any other Shark.

Jul 10, 2010
I understand the whole rant. But to answer the actual question, Scott prevented Jackman from fighting ANYONE. Would you rather have Jackman fight Scott, or go after Mueller..or Vlasic or Thornton? It is a very minor thing but it worked this time. Do I think Scott should always be in the lineup HELL NO, but in this instance he went after their biggest physical threat...and it worked.

Scott cannot do anything to prevent other fights, no enforcer can. Ryan Getzlaf started the madness back in the first period which was then followed by Corey Perry. That isn't normal. Players WILL ALWAYS BE INJURED whether there is fighting or not. That is the nature of the game.

But if you happen to have an enforcer in the lineup one night HE BETTER DO HIS DAMN JOB. Scott did HIS DAMN JOB.
Exactly this, Getzlaf and Perry are stars and arent going to fight a guy like Scott, theres nothing he can do about it, you wanna hold them accountable, thats on guys like Jumbo and Burns to do that.

The senseless 3rd liner whos running around is who Scotts goin after, in this case a 4th liner. He did his job, he did what he was suppose to.

The fact that theres this much outcry over a guy protecting one of his teammates really makes me wonder if you guys care about the game, or just the analytical stats generated from it

TheHockeyRant

Apr 19, 2014
Reno, NV
I was at work when I saw the Sharks signed John Scott. my first reaction. I wanted to throw my phone, and I almost did. After the 2 year contract to Brown it made no damn sense. But there is no point complaining about it now. So if Scott is in the lineup he better do his damn job, that is all I ask.

If he does any less than that I'll complain but if he simply makes sure that the 4th line does not allow any goals, and makes sure the biggest guy on their team stays the hell away from everyone else (when he can) then I'm happy.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad