Prospect Info: Scott Perunovich (2018 Draft - 45th overall)

Stupendous Yappi

Idiot Control Now!
Sponsor
Aug 23, 2018
Erwin, TN
Never wishing for injuries, but if there IS a defensive injury I'm looking forward to seeing Perunovich getting his moment. I 100% agree with the decision to send him down to get games and minutes, after how last year went. But if it weren't for that I think he was pretty close to securing a roster spot in camp. Looking at next season, I'm curious how they make room for him in the line-up.

Reactions: Vladys Gumption

ezcreepin

Dec 5, 2016
Never wishing for injuries, but if there IS a defensive injury I'm looking forward to seeing Perunovich getting his moment. I 100% agree with the decision to send him down to get games and minutes, after how last year went. But if it weren't for that I think he was pretty close to securing a roster spot in camp. Looking at next season, I'm curious how they make room for him in the line-up.
I've wondered that as well. How many more years does Bort have in him? He doesn't seem to be slowing down much, even as a 3rd pairing defenseman. Walman has a spot for now, but Mikkola is waiting in the wings to prove something with Perunovich right behind him. If Mikkola can prove to defend better than Walman or if Perunovich can prove to defend similar to Walman, then I think he's the odd man out. He skates well, has a booming shot, but he hasn't really done a whole lot with those skills. He doesn't defend like Bouw would with his skating, and he isn't making good plays in the o-zone despite being a more offensive minded guy, but Berube likes him I guess. Mikkola as a "prospect" is super intriguing because of his size and style of play, but if he gets in and handles the puck like a grenade, then he will always be a 7th defenseman no matter the team. Anywho, if Perunovich keeps this up in the AHL, it'll be very hard to keep him from the big club so here's to hoping.

Spektre

Apr 10, 2010
Krynn
9 points in 5 games after 3 assists in a 4-1 win today.

That's good enough to lead the AHL in points. He's simply better than Walman or Mikkola but I guess the Blues were scared to lose them if placed on waivers.

Perunovich.jpg

Brian39

Apr 24, 2014
It's great that he got off to a productive start to his pro career in the AHL, but leading the AHL in scoring doesn't tell me anything about whether he is ready to play decent enough defensively to be a contributor to this team at the NHL level. I haven't watched a minute of AHL time this year, so I can't comment at all on how he has looked defensively.

I am very comfortable saying that I'd rather see him dominate the AHL playing 23 minutes a night for 20 games than have him up here sitting in the press box or playing Walman's 13 minutes a night for the same stretch. The NHL team is 4-0 and Perunovich is getting substantially better pro experience than he would have gotten if he had made the roster. And every day he spends in the AHL makes it less likely that he hits performance bonuses and boosts his negotiating power this summer.

I want him up in the NHL playing minutes before we get to the home stretch of the regular season. But we don't need to be in any rush to make that happen.

WATTAGE4451

Jan 4, 2018
Waive mikkola or walman. Or we just might not bring bortuzzo back as free agent. Neither mikkola or walman are special and when peronovich is ready he should be better than both those guys. We really need him on the left side.

Reactions: Blueston

Stupendous Yappi

Idiot Control Now!
Sponsor
Aug 23, 2018
Erwin, TN
That's good enough to lead the AHL in points. He's simply better than Walman or Mikkola but I guess the Blues were scared to lose them if placed on waivers.

View attachment 473964
I think its because they're projecting Perunovich as a top 4 player rather than bottom pairing. They're erring on the side of optimizing his development rather than speed to the NHL. And the personnel in the NHL allow them the luxury of doing that right now.

Reactions: GoBluz24

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad