Prospect Info: Scott Perunovich (2018 Draft - 45th overall)

Celtic Note

Living the dream
Dec 22, 2006

When I watch these highlights it seems Scott is benefitting a ton from his teammates. Lots of secondary assists. There are also assists on the PP where he has an incredible amount of decision time. There really weren’t many “wow” plays.

MissouriMook

Still just a Mook among men
Sponsor
Jul 4, 2014
When I watch these highlights it seems Scott is benefitting a ton from his teammates. Lots of secondary assists. There are also assists on the PP where he has an incredible amount of decision time. There really weren’t many “wow” plays.
The ones that are "WOW" plays are also typically home run passes. Those seams will be there at the NHL level, but not as often and they won't be as open for as long.

I'm still excited to see what he brings and to see if there is an element to his game that can make Dunn expendable and others around him better.

Reactions: stl76

Alklha

Sep 7, 2011
His awareness on the ice is his biggest asset, but it's not something that you can get a feel for in a short highlights clip. He can recieve the puck under pressure and he doesn't need to buy time to know where everyone is and what to do. That awareness is what gave him the platform to improve his defensive game.

The biggest issue of any potential NHL career is always going to be his size.

TheGoldenGod

5 Star Man
Nov 8, 2017
Not necessarily disagreeing but just wanted to post for fellow Blues fans since there isn’t a ton of recent film on him and these 19-20 highlights just dropped on youtube a few weeks ago

Reactions: Celtic Note

Celtic Note

Living the dream
Dec 22, 2006
Not necessarily disagreeing but just wanted to post for fellow Blues fans since there isn’t a ton of recent film on him and these 19-20 highlights just dropped on youtube a few weeks ago
It’s really appreciated. The hard critique was not aimed your way.

Last edited:

TurgPavs

Jan 7, 2019
I dont get it with Peru.
The Guy was passed over by every team in the draft, not once, not twice, but for 15 rounds over the course of 3 drafts.
IMO the guys game is not going to transition to the NHL and essentially the Blues absolutely wasted a 2nd round pick on this guy.

Alklha

Sep 7, 2011
I dont get it with Peru.
The Guy was passed over by every team in the draft, not once, not twice, but for 15 rounds over the course of 3 drafts.
IMO the guys game is not going to transition to the NHL and essentially the Blues absolutely wasted a 2nd round pick on this guy.
I don't really understand why it matters that he was passed over in prior drafts. So were Parayko, Perron, Bozak and Gunnarsson, but they managed to play an important role in bringing the first Cup here.

There are aspects of his game to be concerned about, but it his skating, outlet pass and awareness on the ice look NHL level in the games I've seen.

I wasn't particularly happy with the pick at the time, but he looks a decent prospect to be getting in the second round.

mk80

Jul 30, 2012
I dont get it with Peru.
There are guys passed over in every draft completely or that fall x number picks from where they should be drafted in every draft. So that doesn't concern me much. I think Perunovich is a good pick for us, but like all prospects he has parts of his game that could use work.

Maybe he becomes an everyday staple on the roster, maybe he becomes another Tommy Vannelli. Right now the door is open either direction, at least he's got more potential in my opinion.

MissouriMook

Still just a Mook among men
Sponsor
Jul 4, 2014
There are guys passed over in every draft completely or that fall x number picks from where they should be drafted in every draft. So that doesn't concern me much. I think Perunovich is a good pick for us, but like all prospects he has parts of his game that could use work.

Maybe he becomes an everyday staple on the roster, maybe he becomes another Tommy Vannelli. Right now the door is open either direction, at least he's got more potential in my opinion.
He's this year's Hobey Baker award winner and that is no small feat. Not only was he judged to be the best player in college hockey, he was also the best player on a two time defending NCAA champion, and stood a good chance at leading his team to a three-peat. He may not be the next Hughes or Makar, but he proved himself quite admirably as a college junior and there is plenty to like about his game. I'm going to take the glass half full approach and say that he could certainly replace Dunn after a season of pro hockey, or be even better.

Reactions: mk80 and Blueston

mk80

Jul 30, 2012
He's this year's Hobey Baker award winner and that is no small feat. Not only was he judged to be the best player in college hockey, he was also the best player on a two time defending NCAA champion, and stood a good chance at leading his team to a three-peat. He may not be the next Hughes or Makar, but he proved himself quite admirably as a college junior and there is plenty to like about his game. I'm going to take the glass half full approach and say that he could certainly replace Dunn after a season of pro hockey, or be even better.
Right, I definitely think he's got a high ceiling and have equally high hopes/expectations for him. I wasn't comparing to Vannelli one to one, more or less trying to say that where he was drafted doesn't matter when it comes to his potential. That's poor wording on my part more than anything.

I'm excited to follow his progress in Springfield assuming that's where he starts this season. But I don't think it's long until we see him as a regular wearing the Blue note.

stl76

No. 5 in your programs, No. 1 in your hearts
Jul 2, 2015
To further your point, here are the last 10 Hobey Baker Winners in order from most recent:

Scott Perunovich
Cale Makar
Adam Gaudette
Will Butcher
Jimmy Vesey
Jack Eichel
Johnny Gaudreau
Drew Lebanc
Jack Connolly
Andy Miele

Not saying Perunovich is a sure thing, but that's some pretty good company (especially recently, last ~7 years). Hobey Baker is no guarantee of success, but I think most teams would be quite happy to spend a 2nd on a player of Perunovich's caliber.

Frenzy31

May 21, 2003
He is done for the season, due to surgery.

Feels like 50% of team is out right now so he fits in just fine.

Reactions: joe galiba

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
I wonder how he compares to Grzelcyk on the NHL level, that was someone we had heavy interest in during the Schenn talks when we were talking trades before the 18/19 turnaround.

Frenzy31

May 21, 2003
I wonder how he compares to Grzelcyk on the NHL level, that was someone we had heavy interest in during the Schenn talks when we were talking trades before the 18/19 turnaround.

I think he is very much like Dunn. Minus the physical play and better d positioning.

Mike Liut

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 12, 2008
He can really skate and see the ice well. Looks like Makar out there lol.

jura

booze & blues
Mar 29, 2012
Zagreb, Croatia
Perun - Wikipedia
In Slavic mythology, Perun (Cyrillic: Перýн) is the highest god of the pantheon and the god of sky, thunder, lightning, storms, rain, law, war, fertility and oak trees. His other attributes were fire, mountains, wind, iris, eagle, firmament (in Indo-European languages, this was joined with the notion of the sky of stone[2]), horses and carts, weapons (hammer, axe (Axe of Perun), and arrow), and war. He was first associated with weapons made of stone and later with those of metal.[3]

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
Perunovich Looks a lot like a 4th forward out there.
Yeah, this is the problem with prospect tournaments. Some will either just have way more talent and/or much further along in development because of age. Perunovich should be dominating out there, so it's good that he is, but it doesn't really mean much. This tourney did nothing to tell us about his decision making, does he force plays in bad situations because he believes he has the talent to do so, or will he take what the opposition gives him? That's a big difference between the high-end offensive defensemen and the guys that flame out, even if they are productive offensively. Knowing when he can push it and not get burned will be a big factor in his success.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad