Scott Niedermayer vs Duncan Keith

Who did it better?

• Total voters

Section88

Kaner? I hardly know her
Jul 11, 2017
Apparently I did miss that and I definitely would not see Scott in a good light either if had known.

Can't see video's at work on computer but knowing how clean Sedin was I'll give him the benefit of doubt. However I clearly remember Keith running his elbow straight to Sedin's head and he was never the same. No he's not my favourite player either that honor belong to Bure I'm a bit older.

Sorry as mentioned above don't remember.
Ill give the video of Sedin hitting keith late and in the head the benefit of the doubt. Not like this matters all that much since it happened almost a decade ago, but Daniel wasn't a saint.

Reactions: clydesdale line

Artorius Horus T

sincerety
Nov 12, 2014
Suomi/Finland
As a Hawks fan, Scotty Niedermayer is the only correct answer here.
I think the voting is surprisingly close.

Scott Niedermayer is one of the greatest two-way d-men ever to play hockey. (d-men all together)

Reactions: pixiesfanyo

82Ninety42011

Jul 2, 2011
Abbotsford BC
Ill give the video of Sedin hitting keith late and in the head the benefit of the doubt. Not like this matters all that much since it happened almost a decade ago, but Daniel wasn't a saint.
That made me chuckle even you probably had a hard time typing that out. If you really believe he isn't a "saint" your word not mine let's agree to disagree. He was a very talented player in my opinion who never played to hurt anyone. I wish he had played with more push back maybe he and his brother would have taken a lot less abuse then.

Jtown

Oct 6, 2010
Fairfax, Virginia
Want to know why all dmen in the league are fast and mobile, and why dump and chase is a thing of the past? Look at the 2010 stanley cup. I have never seen a single player so dominate in a playoff run. Dumping and chasing on keith was essentially a turnover every time, and teams did not know how to get by him. I think its clear as day that Duncan Keith is not only an all time great but one of the most influential players of his generation. Very few players have ever changed how the game has been played during their career. Keith is one of them.

Ace Card Bedard

Back in Black, Red, and White
Feb 11, 2012
Homer vote for Keith but both are amazing HHOF players among the best who ever laced 'em up at their position.

I give Keith the edge defensively (slightly.)

Nick Hansen

Sep 28, 2017
I'd choose Keith everyday of the week. Not as great of a skater but still great, great defensively, always clutch in the playoffs, has a certain nastiness that I like in my 1#D, very good offensively.

I think my team is simply better off with Keith as the #1D.

Paul4587

Jan 26, 2006
Too close. The media would tell you it’s Nieds - he has that Toews like reputation where he’s overrated by the media but I think Keith has a real argument. The thing is with Nieds is he wasn’t elite until he hit 30. Before then he was basically Jay Bouwmeester.

Nieds did have one hell of a peak though. 2005-06 was the best season by any Duck ever - he was out of this world good. Had he played in a more prominent market he wins a Norris that year.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
I remember 1990s Niedermayer. To some degree he was the kid overshadowed by Scott Stevens, but he was also just not considered on the elite tier of D-men. At the time I remember thinking his D wasn't so great but take that evaluation with a grain of salt. I don't know how else to check my memory - 1998 was the only year he played in the all star game or made second team all star. He never made first team all star until 2004, when he won the Norris.

Then again Keith didn't join the league until well into his 20s. It's a close one between these two.

BraveCanadian

Jun 30, 2010
Keith for me.

His award recognition is a bit light in the regular season for some reason, but he could easily have 3 Conn Smythe trophies..

ESH

Jun 19, 2011
Too close. The media would tell you it’s Nieds - he has that Toews like reputation where he’s overrated by the media but I think Keith has a real argument. The thing is with Nieds is he wasn’t elite until he hit 30. Before then he was basically Jay Bouwmeester.

Nieds did have one hell of a peak though. 2005-06 was the best season by any Duck ever - he was out of this world good. Had he played in a more prominent market he wins a Norris that year.

You think his 2005-06 season was better than his 2006-07? And that he was better than prime Lidstrom (who had 80 points)?

Paul4587

Jan 26, 2006
You think his 2005-06 season was better than his 2006-07? And that he was better than prime Lidstrom (who had 80 points)?

Yeah by quite a bit. 2006-07 he had some injury issues and also had Pronger sharing the load.

Yeah it’s tough to claim that because it was Lidström who won it but Nieds was out of this world that year. That team had no business making the playoffs, he dragged our blueline on his back to the conference finals when we weren’t even meant to make the playoffs that year.

Raccoon Jesus

Todd McLellan is an inside agent
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
Curious as to why people think Nieds is overrated.

Because people only remember insane 05-07 Neidermeyer and he retired before really falling apart. No one seems to remember before that, or have any real criticism of him. Just extrapolating his absolute prime to the rest of his career. I actually think his pre-Ducks tenure is underrated in comparison though, fwiw.

Mr Plow

Apr 15, 2016
I think your memory needs a refresher if you think Sedin laid a clean hit on Keith and that’s why he was mad. This happened less than 10 min before Keith had the elbow on Sedin

That’s late AND directly to the head of a player who was looking the other way. I know your username has Sedin in it and he’s probably your favorite player but come on man.... take the homer glasses off. Keith lost his cool and took it too far but he was for sure pushed over the edge because he got hit with a dirty hit first.

When you watch that hit in real time do you still think it looks late, or is it only in the super slow mo replays that it appears that way?

Erik Alfredsson

Beast Mode Cowboy!
Jan 14, 2012
Lol how the hell is Niedermayer winning this? It's easily Keith, I don't think it's particularly close either. When you think of the best dmen in Niedermayer's generation, Lidstrom, Bourque, Leetch, Chelios, Stevens, Pronger, and MacInnis were all easily better than him. When you think of best dmen of Keith's generation, the only players you could argue are better are Karlsson and Doughty.

Cassano

Aug 31, 2013
GTA
What the hell. It's easily Keith. Was Neidermayer even top 5 in his generation?

wetcoast

Nov 20, 2018
I think your memory needs a refresher if you think Sedin laid a clean hit on Keith and that’s why he was mad. This happened less than 10 min before Keith had the elbow on Sedin

That’s late AND directly to the head of a player who was looking the other way. I know your username has Sedin in it and he’s probably your favorite player but come on man.... take the homer glasses off. Keith lost his cool and took it too far but he was for sure pushed over the edge because he got hit with a dirty hit first.

People seem to forget the whole picture of this story sometimes.

as for the OP I was leaning towards nieds but the more I look Keith has the stronger prime.

deytookerjaabs

Johnny Paycheck's Tank Advisor
Sep 26, 2010
Eastern Shore
When you watch that hit in real time do you still think it looks late, or is it only in the super slow mo replays that it appears that way?

svka94eh.jpg

IFlXvj1h.jpg

That blurriest part of the still is a head snapping sideways after a shoulder comes up.

Anyways, if that happened today Keith would spend the period in concussion protocol and likely not return to the game.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad