Player Discussion: Scott Mayfield

Richie Daggers Crime

Boosted 9 times double masked they/them
Mar 8, 2004
Boise
That makes sense.

He's making the most of his call up. :handclap:

He was a bit of a mess in transition moving out of the defensive zone. There was one shift where he gave the puck away 3 times in the neutral zone, only to finally get it back and pitch it directly to the opposition D.

luki here

Jan 30, 2011
Vienna
He was a bit of a mess in transition moving out of the defensive zone. There was one shift where he gave the puck away 3 times in the neutral zone, only to finally get it back and pitch it directly to the opposition D.

Generally i thought he played pretty well, but he is a liability out there. So happy the isles have these kids as depth, considering playoffs (i know it doesnt look good for us) and injuries you really want 10 nhl level d men in your organisation. I think Mayfield will end up in the nhl eventually.

If he starts picking it up we should consider trading seidenberg once our IR starts clearing up. Seidenberg could fetch something of value considering his good start to the season and I have a feeling he won't continue as strongly anyways.

Losing Mayfield to waivers eventually would be sub-optimal.

A Pointed Stick

No Idea About The Future
Dec 23, 2010
He's Young, but he is improving. As far as giveaways go you could spend a little time criticising our Captain as well. I am excited for the progress.

seafoam

Soft Shock
Sponsor
May 17, 2011
Generally i thought he played pretty well, but he is a liability out there. So happy the isles have these kids as depth, considering playoffs (i know it doesnt look good for us) and injuries you really want 10 nhl level d men in your organisation. I think Mayfield will end up in the nhl eventually.

If he starts picking it up we should consider trading seidenberg once our IR starts clearing up. Seidenberg could fetch something of value considering his good start to the season and I have a feeling he won't continue as strongly anyways.

Losing Mayfield to waivers eventually would be sub-optimal.

Mayfield is up on emergency recall again I believe, so he wouldn't need to be subject to waivers to be sent down (if I remember correctly).

Also, as long as this team is "in the hunt", Seidenberg is not going anywhere. He's one of our best defensemen and has that savvy veteran presence that Visnovsky had in his time here.

seafoam

Soft Shock
Sponsor
May 17, 2011
Any chance he sticks, or is it only a matter of time before he's back in Bridgeport?

He's on emergency recall, so I assume he'll be back once the flu stops going around.

Mayfeild is still the #9 and hasn't surpassed Pelech or Pulock on the depth chart.

MJF

Hope is not a strategy
Sep 6, 2003
NYC
Any chance he sticks, or is it only a matter of time before he's back in Bridgeport?

He has to go back to Bridgeport. Mayfield's here on emergency recall due to Boychuk being out with the flu.

Mayfield's had a decent 2 games here for himself. He's gotten himself into some jams but they haven't lead to a goal against. Overall he hasn't looked out of place, but right now there's no one on our top 6 that I could slot Mayfield ahead of at this time.

ekill08x

Oct 29, 2011
He has to go back to Bridgeport. Mayfield's here on emergency recall due to Boychuk being out with the flu.

Mayfield's had a decent 2 games here for himself. He's gotten himself into some jams but they haven't lead to a goal against. Overall he hasn't looked out of place, but right now there's no one on our top 6 that I could slot Mayfield ahead of at this time.

I like Mayfield and he beat the crap out of some rangers physically last night. I still want to move Hamonic who hasn't looked good in a single game this year yet gets top two minutes and is a crutch to Leddy. If there is a 3 on 2 and Hamonic is on the ice its an automatic goal. I still don't understand why he's ever on special teams either.

lazycop

Dave's not here.
Mar 25, 2006
He's no Brian Strait, I'll give him that.

...............<insert punchline>..............

Kevin27NYI

Aug 5, 2009
I like Mayfield and he beat the crap out of some rangers physically last night. I still want to move Hamonic who hasn't looked good in a single game this year yet gets top two minutes and is a crutch to Leddy. If there is a 3 on 2 and Hamonic is on the ice its an automatic goal. I still don't understand why he's ever on special teams either.

Total old school the way he crosschecks guys to block them out. Not even hard but just completely preventative.

Macch

Mar 22, 2010
Thought he was really good last night.

You can see his confidence is rising. Hopefully he keeps it up.

ekill08x

Oct 29, 2011
Thought he was really good last night.

You can see his confidence is rising. Hopefully he keeps it up.

Hes worth developing. He isn't a terrible skater, plays a very physical brand, and has a pretty good shot. Ceiling is probably middle pairing but there is absolutely nothing wrong with that. Right now he should be playing most nights. Honestly Hickey hasn't been good since his return and its not like he's a stud on a good day. I like how tough he is for a smaller defender but there just isn't anything special about his game and Mayfield has been pretty productive. Let the big guy play right now.

periferal

Jul 5, 2007
I LOVE this kid's attitude. Makes good decisions and doesn't take no crap from anyone. Plus his size is something desperately needed on this team.

The only thing for me stopping him from become a legit top-4 NHL D-man is his overall speed. It isn't just his skating (which he can overcompensate for since he has longer strides), but also his hands. Sometimes it takes him an extra-split second to make a play that you can get away with in the minors, but not in the big show.

That said there is nothing wrong with this kid as a 5-6 D-man.

Lek

Nov 25, 2006
Raleigh
Liked him the first time he played....rough as it was. Much improvement since then. Definite keeper who needs a full time spot a a 5-6

boredmale

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 13, 2005
I wonder if the Islanders are playing him more trying to use him as trade bait. I personally think Pelech is better and even though Pelech had 1 terrible game in Toronto he didn't deserve to sit for 4 games because of it

IslandersFan17

Jun 8, 2011
Long Island
I wonder if the Islanders are playing him more trying to use him as trade bait. I personally think Pelech is better and even though Pelech had 1 terrible game in Toronto he didn't deserve to sit for 4 games because of it

Eh if he played well enough to get any kind of value, he would be to valuable to us during this stretch.

I think Pelech played well enough not to deserve to sit for as long because of the Toronto game. However, Mayfield has played well enough not to be taken out of the line up so.

TommytheCat

Oct 23, 2010
Florida
I can see Mayfield becoming a fan favorite kind of how Marts did when he came into the league ... I like his style of play.... it can be contagious to other teammates

Kevin27NYI

Aug 5, 2009
Another good game. As long as we can catch Mayfield and Pelech at their highs we are going to have a killer D.

kasper11

Feb 27, 2002
New York
Visit site

No, if you are fighting for the playoffs you play the 6 d that give you the best chance to win, you don't showcase players for a trade.

I think its more that Weight will keep rewarding the players that play well. Right now that's Mayfield, and he's playing well enough to stay in. It doesn't send a very good message if you take him out when he's playing well.

Hopefully, he is talking to Pelech and explaining to him that it's not his fault he's on the bench, the team is just playing well. We will need him at some point soon I'm sure.

BTrotts19

May 17, 2013
LI, NY
Gonna be very curious what happens once Hammer is healthy and ready to get back in the lineup. Is going to be very disappointed if Mayfield is taken out of the lineup but I would be shocked if it wasn't him.

I wonder if, given the return a guy like Hainsey got, Garth would trade Seids, maybe grab a 2nd rounder. Hammer is certainly better than Seids and could roll with Mayfield as a solid 3rd pairing.

Macch

Mar 22, 2010
Gonna be very curious what happens once Hammer is healthy and ready to get back in the lineup. Is going to be very disappointed if Mayfield is taken out of the lineup but I would be shocked if it wasn't him.

I wonder if, given the return a guy like Hainsey got, Garth would trade Seids, maybe grab a 2nd rounder. Hammer is certainly better than Seids and could roll with Mayfield as a solid 3rd pairing.

Unfortunately we know that's exactly what's going to happen.

Hickey has been the weakest Dman for me. Yeah he makes some nice recoveries from time to time, but that's because he puts himself in bad positions.

EDIT: Mayfield's stat line is very good for a player that has limited time:

13 GP, 1G, 3A, +6

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad